Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    My Treo 600 checks for messages every few minutes, and I notice that
    1. My older (circa 1991) monitor at home goes fuzzy (like vertical hold on a TV is wonky) when this happens, and
    2. At work, my digital desktop phone emits a strange buzzing noise if my Treo is on the desk close to it when it checks for messages.

So I'm wondering what kind of emissions these are and whether I'm going to develop abdominal tumours (I carry my Treo on a belt clip) or something when I'm old. Does anyone else think about/worry/have info on stuff like this?
    I've noticed a few but only at night
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    BIG TIME. I had the T-Mobile Treo 600 which had emissions causing my computer speakers to BUZZ. This is probably amplified since there is a subwoofer on this computer and the outer speakers and subwoofer don't have shielding built in.

Anyhow, the Cingular Treo 650 must emit more. The intensity of the buzzing is significantly great and far more frequent. I wonder how much of that really reflects CNET's relatively high radiation rating for the GSM 650.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I get scared too thinking of the 'unknown' effect from the radiation emitted. When i put it close to my monitor, the screen becomes contorted every half-an hour or so. I also use belt-clip. To make it worse, my phone has dropped into water (totally soaked), and I read somewhere that, the radiation after this happened is much worse
    I've been having this same problem with my treo 600. The problem has always been there (8 months) but only recently has it begun to really drive me crazy. I have been trying to explain to Palm One customer service via email but they keep refering me to information about buzzing problems durring phone calls. My 600 causes intermitant buzzing when placed within 6 feet of a computers speakers and rolling lines on an older monitor in my office. When in the car it causes the car stereo speakers to buzz unless I put the phone in the back seat. It would be easy to say just don't put the phone near the equipment but this is where I spend most of my day and if I don't keep the phone with me, what is the point of having the phone at all. Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?
    Otto
    So far the only solution seems to be this: http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Sorry about that.. heh.. it really bothers me when nearby phones cause that kind of interference, but fortunately I haven't experienced it on my Treo 180.
  7. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chriz
    So far the only solution seems to be this: http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Sorry about that.. heh.. it really bothers me when nearby phones cause that kind of interference, but fortunately I haven't experienced it on my Treo 180.
    I'm NOT being paranoid. I know about RF frequencies and that they're probably safe. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...p?sitearea=PED
    The thing is, the stuff I mentioned doesn't happen during a phone call when I'm close to my monitor/digital desktop phone, only when it's checking for messages - i.e. when it's accessing the internet wirelessly. So I'm assuming it's a different kind of emission, and I was wondering if anyone knew anthing .
    So Far So Good! Treo 600 Buzzing fix

I spoke to Palm one customer service today and they had me perform the following procedure and so far ...60 min after synchronizing with my desk top I still haven't heard that misserable buzz coming out of my computer speakers.
    Remember this is a reset that wipes clean your treo memory. You must do a complete backup before this reset.

Press the "K" key and the "backspace" key at the same time you insert a stylus pin into the reset hole on the back of your Treo. Hold both keys and the pin until the screen goes black and the treo seems to be shut off(no blinking LED). Now release the keys and remove the pin. Connect the Treo to its charger and leave it for 2 hours. It will restart (showing the setup program)as soon as you connect with the charger, but just leave it alone to recharge for two hours. When the two hours are up it's time to synchronize with your desktop.
    So far so good Still no buzzing speakers or distorted monitor.
    Otto
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I did a little research and found out the following relating to emissions. All this info I got from www.fcc.gov and I'll put my links at the bottom. But right now, Sprint PCS service is limited to 2 Watts max power, regardless whether it is a voice or data transmission, ON ANY PHONE. Digital Roaming is limited to 7 Watts max power, regardless whether it is voice or data. According to the regulations the phone must also be made to use as little power as possible to function. So that sounds to me like the better your signal, the less RF radiation. I personally wouldn't worry about RF radiation in such small quantities, since I work as a radio technician with gentleman who have been working with RADAR and high output radio transmitters (1500 Watts and up) for 20 or more years and they're all fine, and I'm fine so far. Although the rumor seems to be you have a better chance of having daughters if you work around alot of RF. Seems to be true except for the fact that my supervisor has three boys. Here's my references:

Broadband PCS Radiation limits (PCS non-roaming)
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2001&TYPE=TEXT

Narrowband PCS Radiation limits (PCS digital roaming)
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2001&TYPE=TEXT

Broadband PCS FCC Info
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/broadbandpcs/

Narrowband PCS FCC Info
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/narrowbandpcs/

Hope this helps!

Steve
    Hey hsk... beautiful border collie... hey wait a minute, I just clicked on him and... is that you?... you're a hottie! I should post a pick of my co-pilot (dog) too.
    The buzzing... welcome to the wonderful world of GSM!
  12. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Wenger
    So Far So Good! Treo 600 Buzzing fix
    Press the "K" key and the "backspace" key at the same time you insert a stylus pin into the reset hole on the back of your Treo. Hold both keys and the pin until the screen goes black and the treo seems to be shut off(no blinking LED). Now release the keys and remove the pin.
    How do you do that without three hands? Or did you get help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57
    I did a little research and found out the following relating to emissions. All this info I got from www.fcc.gov and I'll put my links at the bottom. But right now, Sprint PCS service is limited to 2 Watts max power, regardless whether it is a voice or data transmission, ON ANY PHONE.
    My Treo is GSM, not PCS... I read up on stuff about WLAN and it seems to be safe... Does anyone know if the Treo uses 802.11 to access the internet? I couldn't tell - but if it does, I guess I'm OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    I should post a pick of my co-pilot (dog) too.
    Yes, you should - everyone LOVES dogs (at least everyone who counts).
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    My Treo is GSM, not PCS...
    Looking further, what I posted before is still relevant as far as output power goes, but would also include the following depending on the GSM spectrum. However, what I am posting is USA law, and I assume PalmOne made their Treo to conform to USA laws. So if other countries are more lenient to power usage(why, I wouldn't know since batteries die quicker with more watts), then what I'm writing is useless.

Here is the GSM bandplan:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/s...quencies.shtml

The Broadband PCS and Narrowband PCS rules apply for the GSM900 and GSM1800, and the following site says the rules for the GSM900 band which state a max of 7 Watts:
    http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...7cfr22.913.htm

I couldn't find any information on the other GSM bands so I'm assuming they aren't utilized for mobile telephones in the United States.

Hope this helps, if not I at least satisfied my own curiosity.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    How do you do that without three hands? Or did you get help?
    Those were exactly my feelings... as the customer AT&T service rep was telling me what to do..but it's not as hard as you might think!

By the way! I went for a ride in the car last night and was thrilled to NOT be hearing that buzzing for the first time in months.
    Last edited by Otto Wenger; 03/02/2005 at 05:35 AM. Reason: second thought
    Otto

LOL... hahahahah... awesome
  16. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    LOL... hahahahah... awesome
    Yeah why don't you just go on encouraging smartass responses? You must have noticed everyone else ignored it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57
    Although the rumor seems to be you have a better chance of having daughters if you work around alot of RF.
    you've lost your credibility - everyone knows it's use of laptops that result in daughters.....

my unscientific survey shows about a 75% probability of daughters for computer geeks....
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    actually, you should read this thread regarding the "vibration". I've experienced this myself with the 600, but not yet with the 650...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=vibrating
    I have digital cable, and when I'm doing something that requires an internet connection while I'm in the living room, I get some static sounds on the television.
    the buzzing of speakers is always a gsm problem- i used to have a cingular nokia before my sprint 600 and it would always buzz speakers... i see peoples nextels do it all the time too... hasnt ever happened on my sprint phones- thank god for cdma
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast