1.    #1  
    I'm new to this forum and apologize in advance for what I'm about to ask. I'm in a dilemna as to what to purchase. I currently own a Tungsten T and want to upgrade my palm hardware to either a smartphone or to a T5 with a bluetooth phone.

I have really no need for the wireless internet capabilities of these smartphones that are offered by the carriers out there and just want to use the integrated PDA/phone features that a smartphone has. I'm getting tired of carrying two devices but don't "need" the keyboard on the 600/650 models. I don't email too much and really don't have a need for browsing online, too. I just want a PDA and phone in one...

I'm sure that there are many people out there who have made either jump and would like your kind input with your experiences with the change from PDA-only to a smartphone or bluetooth-palm-phone setup.

Please help, thanks.

Dwayne
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well I for one will suggest the Treo 650. I am rather biased in this decision because I have owned all of Treo models at one time or another. You may not think you need the KB on the 650, but, once you get used to having it there is no turning back. So my vote goes for the Treo 650.
    if you can find a treo 300 that is prolly what would fill your needs. That being said the the 650 is the nicest in the family.
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
    I would go for the 650 because of the screen. Your TT is high res and so is the Treo 650. The 600, 300, 270 all have low res screens and they are crap once you have used a high res screen.

Though you can get a 600 for a good price now, but stay away from the 300/270 Treo's. I had the 270 and the flip broke 3 times in 6 months...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    ###
    I'd stick with the Treo 600. I've been using mine since November 2003. Here are my reasons why:

Cliff notes: Save money & don't be a guinnea pig/beta tester for the T650!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+ You can get the T600 for much cheaper these days.
    + Unlike the T650, VersaMail is not installed on the Treo's ROM. You can easily/simply pick and choose what e-mail client you want without wasting Palm OS real estate.
    + The T600 patches (Sprint/Treo 1.20 Updater, etc.) that one had to download/install on to your T600 previously should now be pre-installed on the T600. Less muss and fuss!
    + The non volatile flash memory issue and sound quality issue on the T650 has yet to be worked out.
    + Accessories are more available on T600 and probably more cheaper.
    + Sure, there is no removable battery on T600, but if you manage your time wisely, this shouldn't be an issue. The screen resolution and camera on the T600 is also a moderate tradeoff.
    + Bluetooth on the T650 still has issues.
    + The MDM Secure file back up card (www.gomdm.com) works great for the T600 out of the box, with the T650 you have to use some software driver.
    + The T600's keyboard backlight is less "in your face" than the T650. Who said subtely is dead?
    + The T600 has a neato on/off button on the top of the unit that the T650 no longer has.

And the number reason to get a T600 now:

+ All the T650 bugs that have been worked out my palmOne and TC's own shadowmite by the end of this year should be "the fourth time the charm" for the next contestant in the Treo line (T300 OK, not great; T600 much better; T650 slight improvement).

+ Going with that theme, I'm hoping that the next gen Treo should be out by late 2005/early 2006. It should/BETTER have PalmSource's Palm OS 6 (better bluetooth support and hopefuly built-in wif-fi, among other things.) I'm also hoping uploading data and files from the T600 to next gen Treo (T700?) will be much improved by then.

###
    KevMeister has some good points. However, I think the bugs with the 650 are small for the non-power user and fairly easy to correct should you even encounter it. I switched from a Treo 600 to 650 and I haven't noticed much at all. If I were in your position, I would switch to the 650 given what I need to use the PDA/Phone for.

The Treo 600 was fair if not slow for some medical programs. There is quite a lag in comparison to the Tungsten T or C. The 650 for me corrected that lag BIG time for me. In addition, the screen is a god send.

Also, syncing with outlook is far cleaner and easier with the Treo 650. When I had the Treo 600, I refused to switch to Outlook 2002 or 2003. Instead I had used Palm Desktop and on my desktop, Outlook Express. I've now converted over.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    ###
    I'd stick with the Treo 600. I've been using mine since November 2003. Here are my reasons why:

Cliff notes: Save money & don't be a guinnea pig/beta tester for the T650!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+ You can get the T600 for much cheaper these days.
    + Unlike the T650, VersaMail is not installed on the Treo's ROM. You can easily/simply pick and choose what e-mail client you want without wasting Palm OS real estate.
    + The T600 patches (Sprint/Treo 1.20 Updater, etc.) that one had to download/install on to your T600 previously should now be pre-installed on the T600. Less muss and fuss!
    + The non volatile flash memory issue and sound quality issue on the T650 has yet to be worked out.
    + Accessories are more available on T600 and probably more cheaper.
    + Sure, there is no removable battery on T600, but if you manage your time wisely, this shouldn't be an issue. The screen resolution and camera on the T600 is also a moderate tradeoff.
    + Bluetooth on the T650 still has issues.
    + The MDM Secure file back up card (www.gomdm.com) works great for the T600 out of the box, with the T650 you have to use some software driver.
    + The T600's keyboard backlight is less "in your face" than the T650. Who said subtely is dead?
    + The T600 has a neato on/off button on the top of the unit that the T650 no longer has.

And the number reason to get a T600 now:

+ All the T650 bugs that have been worked out my palmOne and TC's own shadowmite by the end of this year should be "the fourth time the charm" for the next contestant in the Treo line (T300 OK, not great; T600 much better; T650 slight improvement).

+ Going with that theme, I'm hoping that the next gen Treo should be out by late 2005/early 2006. It should/BETTER have PalmSource's Palm OS 6 (better bluetooth support and hopefuly built-in wif-fi, among other things.) I'm also hoping uploading data and files from the T600 to next gen Treo (T700?) will be much improved by then.

###
    Just so the original poster doesn't get confused, there are some inaccuracies in this post. Here are some of them:

1. Even if it were true that versamail was not installed by default on the new Treo 600's (most come with the sprint update now), this is unlikely to save you space as versamail is installed in the Treo 650's rom. I suppose you could argue that not having versamail installed, saves you space in the rom, but it's very unlikely he is going to need more rom space.

2. You can't really have it both ways, if you cite the sprint updater (Sprint/Treo 1.20 Updater) as an advantage for the Treo600, you must realize that the palmOne POP3 email client comes with that update. This would mean that you would save no space (on the rom) by going with the Treo600.

3. The Treo650 has the same on/off button on the top of the unit that the Treo600 has (at least for sounds).

Again, this post is only meant in the spirit of making sure that the original poster gets accurate information.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 02/28/2005 at 06:50 PM.
    My vote goes to the 650 (better screen, keyboard, BT, and camera). If you are not upgrading then it reallys is the best deal all the way around ($299-319). Even on ebay, you really cant get a T600 package for under $250.

I wouldnt even consider the 270/300. Never liked the flip design. My .02's
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    3. The Treo650 has the same on/off button on the top of the unit that the Treo600 has.
    The 600 has an off/on button for the power and radio and an off/on switch for the ringer. The treo 650 only has the ringer switch.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    The 600 has an off/on button for the power and radio and an off/on switch for the ringer. The treo 650 only has the ringer switch.
    Good point, I thought he meant the on/off button for the sounds (I will edit my original post to reflect that). The Treo650 does have an on/off button for the power and the radio, just not on the top like the Treo600.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. Keep them coming.

Now, should I wait until Verizon carries the 650 or purchase a modded Sprint 650 to work on Verizon?

(I use Verizon for familyshare and service reasons and at this time haven't cared for Sprint based on various comments made by friends of ours. Sorry to offend all you Sprint people out there. It's just our preference...)

But, please continue the input. I'd like to know as much about the 600/650's out there before making the plunge.
    I had t 300 and t 600. t600 works well enough for me that I am not going to t 650 unless my t600 dies. Does e mail great--snapper, pop3. Does internet great and is a good phone. I sync to outlook with no problems. I think I saw that verizon is offering for $199. seems a great deal provided their data/internet plan is ok.