1.    #1  
    So, how secure is my Treo compared to Paris Hilton's phone? Can someone hack into my phone and steal all my personal information? I'd be interested to know and ways in which I can protect myself.

LS
    "You don't learn to frolic, you release the frolic within." - The Naked Dancing Llama at frolic.org
    If you are refering to the T-Mobile hacker, I would not be worried. Paris had a Sidekick, the device's data is stored at t-mobile on a server as a backup... The only data t-mobile has about your Treo is your phone number. I would not worry about ppl hacking into your Treo wirelessly, just make sure your bluetooth is turned off when not needed and your passcode is not easy to guess (1234 or 1111 or some other combo an ***** would put on their luggage [what movie is that from?]).

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    You are safe from that type of attack, as has been mentioned. If you want to protect data on your device should your device fall into the wrong hands, get something like SplashID that can secure information. It won't secure your contacts but it's good for passwords, bankink data, etc.
    Paris got HiltOWNED
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    not to mention you are no one important therefore there is nothing pertinent to hack from your treo. yeah I get paparazzis on my tail right now-gotta run...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    ... and your passcode is not easy to guess (1234 or 1111 or some other combo an ***** would put on their luggage [what movie is that from?]).
    Spaceballs!!
    It also helps if you're not passed out drunk every night.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    allllright! I love that movie...

Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    It also helps if you're not passed out drunk every night.
    I've been meaning to work on that one....
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    not to mention you are no one important therefore there is nothing pertinent to hack from your treo. yeah I get paparazzis on my tail right now-gotta run...
    How would you know?
    the uncensored pics and her contacts are posted at www.duderick.com in the off-topic forum. the pics are very interesting.....
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    that's awsome.. i now have twiggy and Vin Diesel's phone numbers... But I think I'll call Lindsay Lohan first
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    It is important to remember that it wasn't Paris's Sidekick that was hacked, it was her T-Mobile account. That means that any Sidekick, Treo, or any other Internet ready phone is vulnerable.

The only remedy is to not use Carrier-based services where ever possible. Not email, no photo albums, not even MMS if you can help it.

Use an email provider that supports some kind of hardened encryption. Send your photos and movies directly using that email client. Both of these things are possible and pretty easy if you have a Treo, but are impossible with most phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    It is important to remember that it wasn't Paris's Sidekick that was hacked, it was her T-Mobile account. That means that any Sidekick, Treo, or any other Internet ready phone is vulnerable.

The only remedy is to not use Carrier-based services where ever possible. Not email, no photo albums, not even MMS if you can help it.

Use an email provider that supports some kind of hardened encryption. Send your photos and movies directly using that email client. Both of these things are possible and pretty easy if you have a Treo, but are impossible with most phones.
    I disagree whole-heartedly, I think your inclusion of the Treo in the statement above is innacurate. Paris Hilton's SideKick (account) was hacked because the data is stored on a central server. The hacker gained access to that server and got her data, pictures, address book, etc.

The info on my Treo is NOT stored on a server anywhere and as such is much, much less succeptable to attack. The would be hacker/cracker/script-kiddie or whomever would have to gain physical access to either my machine or my PC at home to gain the same data. Or alternately, they would have to get to my data, [physically on the Treo] wirelessly, either via IR, BT or the internet. None of which are really worth worrying about as you can turn off all of them completely on the Treo for complete security.

Further still, there are no known exploits that can compromise the data on a Treo wirelessly without physical access to the machine first.

I am summarizing here and have left out a bit of arcane trivial bites here and there, but this is the gist of it. If Paris had a Treo, she would not have been 0wned.

Treo owners, feel safe.
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 02/22/2005 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    the uncensored pics and her contacts are posted at www.duderick.com in the off-topic forum. the pics are very interesting.....
    Some of those pictures look PSed
    I disagree whole-heartedly. Treo power users have always known what applications are available, and how to keep their Treo pretty much autonomous. In fact, read my final suggestions on how to make sure that your Treo is safe; it pretty much mirrors your sentiments that, if well used, the Treo is far safer than your standard phone (Sidekick included).

That being said, I see lots of questions from Sprint users, using Sprint's mail, using Sprint's Picture Mail, all of which are carrier-specific "central server" style applications that you say the Treo is immune to.

I am not, and never was, saying that the Treo was inherrently non-secure. I was saying that, if you use your Treo in the way that your carrier wants you to as a default, it probably is. Find a good secure mail host. Someone that supports SSL or better. Get a copy of Chattermail or SnapperMail. Stop using the Picturemail services from the carriers and start using your mail client (it will save you money, if not privacy). Then, and only then, will you head off any serious security concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    I disagree whole-heartedly. Treo power users have always known what applications are available, and how to keep their Treo pretty much autonomous. In fact, read my final suggestions on how to make sure that your Treo is safe; it pretty much mirrors your sentiments that, if well used, the Treo is far safer than your standard phone (Sidekick included).

That being said, I see lots of questions from Sprint users, using Sprint's mail, using Sprint's Picture Mail, all of which are carrier-specific "central server" style applications that you say the Treo is immune to.

I am not, and never was, saying that the Treo was inherrently non-secure. I was saying that, if you use your Treo in the way that your carrier wants you to as a default, it probably is. Find a good secure mail host. Someone that supports SSL or better. Get a copy of Chattermail or SnapperMail. Stop using the Picturemail services from the carriers and start using your mail client (it will save you money, if not privacy). Then, and only then, will you head off any serious security concerns.
    Agreed, as I never use any of those features, I didn't even think of them. You are of course right that the mentioned Sprint stuff is server-centric. Don't use it, not worried. Do people really use that stuff??? sheesh, not me.

Cheers
    FWIW, keep your BT set to Discoverable OFF.
    Correction: My most humble appologies to Sprint, T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T, and Verizon. It seemed that the hack was not caused by poor server security. It seems that Ms. Hiltons account was hacked because she used "What is the name of my favorite pet" as the challenge question if she lost her password. This is a question that anybody reading People Magazine or watching E Entertainment Television could have answered. Once the question was answered, it allowed you to reset the password to anything (which in it's own is a no-no for T-Mobile). I guess the personal solution for this is to not use a question that half the western world knows the answer to (although, for Paris Hilton, the question "who is the current President" may have been a stumper.)

As for T-Mobile, for shame! You should at least send a temporary password via SMS to the phone rather than just let the person change the password at will. That would at least require the hacker to not only know way too much about the chosen celeberaty, but also pick-pocket the phone as well.
    You are vulnerable, though, to Voicemail breakin's if you have your PIN disabled when you dial VM from your phone. (This is with Sprint, at least, dunno if other cell companies do this, but I'm sure they do.)

If you spoof your caller ID info to be the number who's VM you want, and they have the PIN turned off, you're directly in their VM.. Nasty.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This is a big problem and we all should take it seriously. I know because I have been touched personally by this event. I wish my phone would stop ringing!

Sigh...if only I hadn't given her my number.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com