Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo 650 for almost a month, and I've found that the Treo Palm OS allows for tons of functionality. The problem is, it doesn't do any of it well. I'm focusing on the included software because this software was created for this specific device and packaged.

Here's what I mean:

Contacts / Calendar functionality is awesome, but:
    - Integration is terrible. Incomming calls can't be saved as existing contacts, alarms freeze the phone and eventually cause a reset, there's a 2 second delay after choosing a number and the call actually dialing.
    - $50 cell phones integrate the phone and the address book better and with more stability than PalmOne did.
    - Custom rings per caller is not possible without purchasing new software. Even after that, there are instances where the original software conflicts and 2 rings trigger at once.
    - Contacts cannot store and dial extensions or more digits unless they are set up as a favorite. What is the sense in this concious decision to design things this way? For some contacts, I go through the contacts, and for some I have to go through the favorites buttons. Ironically, the calls I use extensions for are hardly my favorites.

Voice quality is horrible:
    - Ultimately this is still supposed to be a cell phone. Before the voice rom hack, people on the other end of the line couldn't even understand me. Now after the hack, the entire system is not stable and 3 minute long soft resets happen often.

Speaker phone is too low:
    - Maybe 30 hit me hard, but the speaker phone needs 2 more levels of volume.

POP Mail is a great feature, but:
    - Downloads frequently time out
    - Often I have to sync 4 or 5 times to get all of the messages onto the handheld.

Palm OS Freezes with no cell signal:
    - In an elevator or garage, the OS freezes when there is no cell signal. Shouldn't I be able to use the Palm features even when I have no desire to make a call?

Screen fails to come out of standby:
    - All too often, the screen takes 30-40 seconds to come out of power save mode and sometimes resets.

The bottom line:
    - My point here is that for $600+, we get the ability to do lots of cool things on the phone, but none of them work particularly well or with any stability. As a bleeding edge technology, it's fun. As a cell phone + personal digital assistant, it SUX. .....I should mention that I also LOVE IT. hmmm.

I have so many compaints....but I love the actual hardware. I would use Windows Pocket PC 2003 on this device without hesitation. Perhaps there are solutions for all of thes issues. If so, please barrage me. I take well to criticism.
    I think your complaints are valid. I also think that 'we' (TC users) end up expecting too much for something that, as you put it, does lots of things but few of them well.

Most of the issues that you have brought up, have been discussed at one point or another on this forum. As far as solutions, I think you can search for them.

As far as integration, you made some good points as well. I haven't upgraded and probably won't (at least not to the T650). My T600 is working great and I don't have enough (legitimate) uses to justify the extra money and accessories that it would take to put me in a similar situation.

Overall, I think most 650 users will say "It does enough of the things I need" that it justifies the purchase.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think your complaints are valid. I also think that 'we' (TC users) end up expecting too much for something that, as you put it, does lots of things but few of them well.

Most of the issues that you have brought up, have been discussed at one point or another on this forum. As far as solutions, I think you can search for them.

As far as integration, you made some good points as well. I haven't upgraded and probably won't (at least not to the T650). My T600 is working great and I don't have enough (legitimate) uses to justify the extra money and accessories that it would take to put me in a similar situation.

Overall, I think most 650 users will say "It does enough of the things I need" that it justifies the purchase.
    It may justify the purchase, but these are issues that need to be fixed. The silence from P1 is deafening.
    I think everyone would agree that these issues should be fixed! P1's decision on going with the small amount of memory, no wifi (or even a wifi driver for their own card!) poor bluetooth (initially no DUN without shadowmites hack) and speaker issues are deal breakers for me. BUT I think when you look at how many units are going out the door, it provides more and more of a reason for P1 to not be working overtime to fix the issues. (The reasoning is that if these issues are so bad, why are we selling these things faster than we can put them together?)
    I have none of those problems on my new unlocked GSM 650 that I'm using on T-Mobile. No freezes or lock-ups, no resets, and I do have a couple of custom rings set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly
    I have none of those problems on my new unlocked GSM 650 that I'm using on T-Mobile. No freezes or lock-ups, no resets, and I do have a couple of custom rings set up.
    Are you saying that you have ample memory, working wifi, bluetooth with DUN and no speaker issues? Granted, I agree with everyone that people post more 'negative' than positive with any new product but those issues seem pretty well documented across carriers.
    If you buy unlocked you get DUN bluetooth. This and the wifi side are total carrier issues.

Are you saying that you have ample memory, working wifi, bluetooth with DUN and no speaker issues? Granted, I agree with everyone that people post more 'negative' than positive with any new product but those issues seem pretty well documented across carriers.
    If you hadn't already done so, try a Pocket PC, and then we welcome you to comeback to this very same thread and add your thoughts as to what the competition really has to offer. Is the otherside of the fence greener?

I don't really see no other end to postings such as this, except to suggest...go see what the competition has to offer, try it out, and tell us how better it is or what we are missing out on.
    Last edited by 2smart4phone; 02/20/2005 at 03:37 PM.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    I think everyone would agree that these issues should be fixed! P1's decision on going with the small amount of memory, no wifi (or even a wifi driver for their own card!) poor bluetooth (initially no DUN without shadowmites hack) and speaker issues are deal breakers for me. BUT I think when you look at how many units are going out the door, it provides more and more of a reason for P1 to not be working overtime to fix the issues. (The reasoning is that if these issues are so bad, why are we selling these things faster than we can put them together?)
    I think the main reason being there is no other phone out right now that can compare to the Treo. Either they lack something like keyboard, form factor, or too pricey. Not to mention the Treo line has been around for quite some time and is more known than it's competitors who are barely coming out with their version. It just a matter of time before someone comes out with a better product and then Palm would have to get their act together. But it might just be too little too late...
    Last edited by aznmode; 02/20/2005 at 01:55 PM.
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photos for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
  11.    #11  
    Listen, I love the device and I think they packed some great stuff in it, but coming from a systems delivery background, if I was leading a development and testing team I wouldn't let 1 telephone out the door if the people on the other end couldn't hear me, even if it made coffee, cleaned my room, took out the trash, and f'd my girldfriend for me.....

...welll....
    Not many cell phones would ever get released then

I dunno, my Treo 650 has done great. I haven't had any audio quality problems and everywhere I go I can hear the other side and they can hear me great.

Must be a localized issue.

Anyhow, PocketPC is your future, let us know how that goes.

Personally, I long ago learned that perfection in technology is non-existent, the best you can hope for is a struggle for comprise that satisfies many of the requirements.

Treo 650 is cheap, true IMAP, true IM and can make a phone call over bluetooth.

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by TreoLoveHate
    I wouldn't let 1 telephone out the door if the people on the other end couldn't hear me, even if it made coffee, cleaned my room, took out the trash, and f'd my girldfriend for me.....

...welll....
    Before folks run off deciding that PPC is the future, I'd advise to understand what's out there. I'm a long time Palm user (Palm, Visro Edge, Tungsten E) who needed a legit PDA phone and didn't like what I saw in the 650. So I got an I-mate Jam (Win Mobile/ PPC) instead.

Well funny enough, I have the exact same problem that folks seem to be talking about here (speakerphone beyond awful, phone speaker poor also).

I dont think its a coincidence that, HTC of Taiwan, the company which fabricates the Jam, is also the fabricator of the Treo 650. That for me suggests this is a question of cheap, low-grade hardware - and that all the ROM updates in the world will not really solvs the problem.

Also dissapoiting to realize that there is actually not that much choice out there. HTC not only makes the Jam, but is the leading fabricator PPC phones out there.

As for the PPC/Windows Mobile platform it too has a lot of holes. For example, "multi-tasking" in actual fact means that the thing doesn't close programs - even when you want it to or you hit close. And stability is a problem on my device. First couple weeks are fine, but one you have a few programs on there, well the things is not all that stable.

And as a its very obvious that if someone was told to research if this thing (Jam) worked well as a phone (ie with your thumbs on screen/buttons for basic functions), then they must have embezzled the money.

And the Jam is the leading candidate on the PPC side of things. So the grass is not ALL greener on the other side, unfortunately. And ultimately, this may all be down to the fault of HTC: totally dominating this market, having all the world of experience curve to work with, BUT NOT utilizing the knowledge gained in a proper manner......
    The memory is a slight problem, but I knew that before I bought it. Same with wifi. My bluetooth headset has worked wonderfully and since I've got an unlocked phone from PalmOne I do have DUN, though I don't use it. I definitely have not had any speaker problems. My Jabra 250 works great, the builtin has not caused any problems (e.g., no one has commented on the volume and I can hear too). Even the speakerphone has worked the few times I've used it.

Ain't nothing perfect, but I'm loving my 650.
  15.    #15  
    It's good to hear that the GSM unlocked version appears to work better than the CDMA version. Mazel Tov, Anomaly.
    Well here are my 2 cents:

3 weeks ago I couldn't wait any longer & bought the Sprint T650. Unfortunately, I kept getting broken calls, people couldn't hear me, the speaker volume issue haunted me, resets ++--> the whole list of complaints happened over & over. I got sick of it & returned it to Sprint, no questions asked. In fact, they told me: "we don't have enough towers your way".

2 days later I went to Cingular (since reception seemed much better when I tested it), & bought their T650. Unfortunately, I keep finding all the same problems you have described. Also, the Cingular salesman said they cannot unlock the device, but I refused to accept that the T650 is not ready for Prime time.

I was almost ready to return this one too + get back to my plain Nextel phone but by chance, setting my preferences to "disable the touchscreen both on a call + when a call is received" has apparently reduced a number of problems. So, I am willing to continue along for another week or two & see what level of frustration I am willing to tolerate. Will keep you posted...

Simon
  17.    #17  
    I'm anxious to hear your results. While I can see it having an impact on call quality and speaker volume I can't see it changing the sporadic reset issue. Please... let us know what you find. I also find it hard to believe that this phone is not ready for Prime Time.

RB
    Last edited by TreoLoveHate; 02/23/2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
    Its simple. As the saying goes, "if you try doing too many things at once, you end up doing nothing well". I agree, the treo has issues, but I still love it. It is the greatest gadget I have ever had even though mine just froze and reset while writing this post.
    What a coincidence!!!
    I have a sprint 650 and have had NONE of these problem. I would guess its jusr luck as to who gets a good phone and who gets a Big Pile O Crap
    keocera 7035>> treo600>> treo650>>700p>>755
    Notalent, but I make up for it with lots of practice
  20.    #20  
    I got the Big Pile O' Crap. But I feel like it's my duty to keep configuring until it works properly.

Anyone else feel this way?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast