View Poll Results: Cool or dork when consumed by my Treo in public?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • It makes me major cool

20 25.97%
  • DORK!

29 37.66%
  • Don't bug me now, I just got a new text message.

28 36.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    let's see how did that go. .. oh yes.

here are the definitions I like to use:

nerd - an intelligent person who uses his smarts in a productive manner.
    geek - an intelligent person who squanders away his smarts.
    dork - a non-intelligent person.
    Ouch... Geek.

Note that these definitions do not preclude a geek attaining success nor insist that nerds do.

I like to think I'm somewhat like Heinlein's "man who was too lazy to fail"

As to participating in forums like this. I believe it's completely productive at least some of the time on some forums. If a given forum just has a lot of dross and you keep reading it, that's your fault and the time IS wasted. If a given forum has a better ratio of useful information, and the info is pertinent to you, then it's not wasted time.

I used to read TC a couple times a day, and now I think I'm fully aware of all issues gotchas and coolnesses concerning my 650, I don't check in as often, but I do check in now and then to keep tabs on anything new that develops and will participate actively in any new threads that may come up that I have any special interest in or knowledge to offer.

Went through the same process with my laptop. They have a really great BB/forum web site zd7000forums.com about the HP zd7000 series laptops. That laptop is special and earns a special following in much the same way as the treo. Even down to the handful of perplexing bonehead missteps by the manufacturer that we all gripe about while maintaining we luuuuv our ZD's anyway. Used to read that at least twice a day, only there I mostly answered questions rather than here where I mostly have questions.

Other types of common interest forums are nothing but 100% useful and a good use of time. Newsgroups and mailing lists about programming languages or OS's or special applications or hardware that you use as part of your work are the wisest thing in the world to take part in. At _least_ as a lurker, but it pays off even more if you are active and help out at least once in a while. But only the smaller lists comprised of mostly professionals. The typical linux newsgroup ... yeesh, no. Most of the mail lists are great.

As to bars... I have been going to a local place and sitting at the bar and reading a book in mobipocket and having dinner and a couple beers between once and 3 times a week for months. I listen to audible.com on the treo on the way there & back too.

I've taken business calls and done productive work via my Jabra BT250 while skiing down Hunter Mountain in NY. I guess you don't need a treo for that, any bt phone, but still, it's damned cool. What I have done that needs a treo is use pssh to log in to my or my customers servers and perform various admin tasks. I don't have too many windows servers I need to admin, but I can admin them too with palmvnc.

I've still never taken a laptop to the beach though. Even if you could see the screen in all that sunlight, it would take a pretty large cattle prod to make me. Even if it wasn't for work but entertainment, who wants to IRC or watch a DVD when you're at the beach??
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    You're a dork. I'm a dork. We're all dorks.
    Here a dork, there a dork, everywhere a dork dork....
  3. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    let's see how did that go. .. oh yes.

here are the definitions I like to use:

nerd - an intelligent person who uses his smarts in a productive manner.
    geek - an intelligent person who squanders away his smarts.
    dork - a non-intelligent person.
    I don't think so. Always thought a nerd has no social skills, a geek has social skills but chooses not to use them (at times), and a dork is an *****. So I'm a geek, and I LOVE my treo because I can communicate in meetings (reply to emails) while pretending to use a calculator or look up a document.
    You are a big DORK. Welcome to the club.
    I like to term myself as a techno-Geek! Somewhat of my own creation. Technology is the only thing i am a geek, or a dork or nerd. I don't believe society or for that matter a hot girl in a bar would care which one to call you if you were more interested in a handheld device then a great body and captivating smile. Unless of course she too is a techno-geek. I was lucky enough to find one of those. Nothing like a good loking girl who can format a HD and unzip and install a .prc file.
    Does she have any sister's?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Well I guess my name says for me.

I was at my daughter's basketball game yesterday, downloading my emails, and checking my calendar. Ahhhh, the geekness of it all!

I had to make myself put my Treo away and actually watch her game.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12