Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've ordered a T650 and so will be selling my T600 hopefully fairly soon. I had some questions around the whole unlocking thing as it regards my T600. You see, I bought it from a friend, and it was a Handspring T600 locked to AT&T. I was able to unlock it with firmware stuff I got here and another site so that it would work with my T-Mobile account. I remember I had to install stuff that was specific to T-Mobile, so I am wondering if it is truly unlocked for any GSM carrier, or just for T-Mobile? I don't have a non-T-Mobile SIM to test this out with...

Secondly, are these firmware updates permanent? Meaning, are they just files that if my T600 loses power and doesn't have access to these from a backed up hotsynch, will it revert back to the AT&T version or not? I want to be able to sell this as a true unlocked GSM T600 and be able to whipe it of all my stuff with a hard reset. Not ready to try that yet, but I thought someone here might be able to give me a difinitive answer first... Thanks!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Well, I was able to find someone at the office who has an AT&T SIM, which I swapped in and it worked with the phone, but I'm wondering whether that has anything to do with the phone originally being an AT&T-branded phone. Probably not. Still need to find out whether a hard reset will relock the phone back to AT&T...

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    I've ordered a T650 and so will be selling my T600 hopefully fairly soon. I had some questions around the whole unlocking thing as it regards my T600. You see, I bought it from a friend, and it was a Handspring T600 locked to AT&T. I was able to unlock it with firmware stuff I got here and another site so that it would work with my T-Mobile account. I remember I had to install stuff that was specific to T-Mobile, so I am wondering if it is truly unlocked for any GSM carrier, or just for T-Mobile? I don't have a non-T-Mobile SIM to test this out with...

Secondly, are these firmware updates permanent? Meaning, are they just files that if my T600 loses power and doesn't have access to these from a backed up hotsynch, will it revert back to the AT&T version or not? I want to be able to sell this as a true unlocked GSM T600 and be able to whipe it of all my stuff with a hard reset. Not ready to try that yet, but I thought someone here might be able to give me a difinitive answer first... Thanks!
    Firmware is software in your EEROM, which is upgradable, and can be patched with hacks as well.

Any GSM device can be unlocked. It's just a matter of finding the right code for that device, or software/cable in some cases. There are many places online that can unlock your phone for you. A google search will yield dozens of places where you can either send your phone, or in some cases receive an email with your particular settings.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Firmware is software in your EEROM, which is upgradable, and can be patched with hacks as well.

Any GSM device can be unlocked. It's just a matter of finding the right code for that device, or software/cable in some cases. There are many places online that can unlock your phone for you. A google search will yield dozens of places where you can either send your phone, or in some cases receive an email with your particular settings.
    Tony, I know, but that wasn't my question. I want to be able to sell the phone as unlocked. It seems it is totally unlocked at the moment, but I just need to know if it will remain so if I do a hard reset and/or if it loses power while being shipped, or will it revert back to a locked status?

Stupid question (sorry) how can I tell if my Treo 650 is locked or unlocked?
    I have the SprintPCS Treo 650.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Dlevyus, locked/unlocked only applies to GSM phones, which are phones that are compatible with Cingular and T-Mobile in the U.S. and most carriers outside of the U.S. Sprint and Verizon use a competing technology called CDMA that doesn't support "unlocking" in the sense of GSM phones. The entire phone is locked to your individual account, whereas with GSM a phone can be unlocked, allowing you to swap out a "SIM" card to change it from one person's account to another, or from your account to a prepaid amount of minutes on a specific network.