Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why would anyone want an ipod when you can do 10 million more things with a Treo 650. Plus, the treo is even cheaper. see pic. Is it me or does this just not make sense? The funniest thing about this is that more ipod photos will probably be sold than treo 650 and if that becomes true, I will have to give the treo marketing team a gigantic "F"
    Simple. One plays music, the other is a phone/PDA.

Not everyone wants a swiss army device. The iPod is a better device for handling music, the Treo better at making phone calls and organizing numbers and dates.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    your right, but at a $600 price tag for the i-pod photo. It just seems too much for me. I also tried the i-pod. It is not that much better at handling music( in my opinion)
    The iPod Photo contains a 40gb (or 60gb) hard drive that by itself sets it apart from the Treo in terms of raw storage capacity. As for handling music, I'd have to say that the combination of the iPod and iTunes beats anything the Treo can do hands down. That's not to say that the Treo isn't capable, it's just not what it's meant for. Then again, you can't phone home on your iPod, either.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    don't get me wrong, the ipod is a fantastic device, but it just don't see why I would still buy one. On the 650, am chatting, doing sms, taking pictures(maybe crappy looking) and listening to music at the same time. This thing is like a sidekick, ipod photo and everything in between . I would think this funtionality would appeal to the user base of the ipod. I guess am biased since I like this all in one device functionality.
    You wouldn't buy one. That's settled now.

I personally own a 20gig 3rd gen iPod and if I stumble upon another $600 in the near future, I'll trade up. You cannot beat an iPod for the experience. It's so ... Techxy.
    I just can't rationalize to myself spending $600 bucks for a single purpose device like an iPod. It definitely is a nice device, but for something that expensive, it just has to do more than play music of show pics... something my Treo can already do btw. Also, unless I find a really compelling reason to carry a 60 GB HD, I can't see myself getting an iPod. Heck, I don't even have clsoe to 60 GB of music or any type of media....

Now if the iPod had video playback capabilities, then that would be a different story....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I just can't rationalize to myself spending $600 bucks for a single purpose device like an iPod. It definitely is a nice device, but for something that expensive, it just has to do more than play music of show pics... something my Treo can already do btw. Also, unless I find a really compelling reason to carry a 60 GB HD, I can't see myself getting an iPod. Heck, I don't even have clsoe to 60 GB of music or any type of media....
    Yeah, it's all based on the music-listening tendencies of the user...on the other hand, I won't ever consider getting an iPod because the capacity is too
    small
    and ludicrously expensive when you look at the dollar-per-gigabyte ratio.
  9. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Granted, my iPod isn't an iPod photo, but I can't do this with the Treo:

iPod integration in my car.

I can even use my steering wheel controls for previous/next track.

and of course, I can't store thousands of songs on my Treo.

People don't buy the iPod photo to display photos - they buy it as a music player first, and to display photos second.

You don't buy the Treo as a music player first. It will play music, but that's hardly its core function.
    tj8212,

You seem to be forgetting cool things like:

• transfering an entire CD to the iPod in 10 seconds using Firewire.

• using any iPod as a hard drive to store files you’d like to take home or to work or wherever

• keeping your calendar, contacts and to-do lists on an iPod

• connecting your iPod to powered speakers or a stereo system

• turning your television into a digital picture frame by connecting it to the iPod photo

• use the alarm clock for wake up cals or appointment reminders

• iPods have a 15 hour battery life

• you can even free up space on flash memory cards (like in a high-rez digital camera)while on the road by copying digital images to the iPod (and heck, if its the iPod photo you can then go back and edit and review your catalog or even create a slide show without a laptop).

• heck you can even download guides to restaurants and entertainment and other stuff just like Avango on the Treo.

• games...

...the list goes on.
    I just bought the 60 GB photo iPod last month even though I have a Treo 600, and was relatively happy with listening to mp3s on it. Why?

My SD card is 512 MB. It holds about 4-5 albums, which wasn't enough to get me through a week...and I'd end up listening to the same songs over and over cuz I didn't always remember (or was too lazy) to change the files on the SD card. Yes, I could have bought a 1 GB card (or a 2 GB if those ever start showing up in retail channels)...but it still would have been fairly limiting as to how much music I could have at once.

I own 500+ CDs...I liked the idea of having every single last one of them available to listen to...if listening to one song makes me want to hear this specific other album, it's there...on an SD card, chances are that other album isn't one I loaded.

The grand total of my cd's encoded at 192 VBR was 35 MB. I also have about 10 GB of downloaded mp3's collected over the years that I've yet to add the iPod. And I still buy 2-3 cd's a month. So choosing the 60 GB was a necessity to have everything i own on a single device. And having it all there is beautiful...

And finally, a Treo w/ pTunes (havent used the Real software as i have a 600) is not nearly as elegant to use as an iPod. Then again, none of the other dedicated mp3 players are...

Oh, and having the headphone adapter on the Treo was annoying as hell...

That said, if your music collection can fit on a 1 or 2 GB SD card, or if you have no desire to have your whole collection accessible at the same time and don't mind swapping files on and off the SD, then yeah, there's no reason to buy a standalone mp3 player. But if you're like me...

So anyway, I'm quite happy with my iPod...I just don't know how I'm gonna scrounge up enough to buy a 650...
    Quote Originally Posted by clogoodie
    The grand total of my cd's encoded at 192 VBR was 35 MB.
    That's some quality compression there... 500+ CDs in 35MB? What'd you use, lzip? j/k

As for the general issue of Treos and iPods....

I have an original 5GB iPod still tickin after all these years. It's nearly the same size as the Treo. I just picked up a Treo 600 on eBay and realized I could use it as a minimal replacement for my iPod in some circumstances. I use the iPod in the car and at work. But, in the car I just use one of those tape adapters, which could plug into the Treo also (with the adapter). Actually, I rarely use the ipod in the car anymore because I found a rather nice classical station that helps maintain my sanity while driving with all the other crazy people on the road.

I plan on picking up a 512MB SD card and putting some of my favorite albums/songs on it. Voila, better than a iPod Shuffle for $40. I'd probably only use it randomly, on the T (train in Boston), waiting rooms, etc. And I can play my AAC files (not iTMS-protected, the ones I ripped from my CDs) with Kinoma. I've found AAC to be great quality with low file sizes. I had about 1000 MP3s on my iPod. I re-ripped all my CDs into AAC files and now I've got 1600 AACs on my iPod.

For me it's all about having fewer items in my pocket. I've had a cell phone and iPod for years and it was always a pain having both in my pockets all the time. I never bought a PDA because I didn't want yet another gadget in my pocket. And I'm not going to get some Batman belt to hold all this stuff. With the Treo I've got a PDA, cell phone, audio player, and limited camera all in one. It's the perfect digital compliment for my Victorinox CyberTool.
    Last edited by sumorai; 02/10/2005 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    That's some quality compression there... 500+ CDs in 35MB? What'd you use, lzip? j/k
    I started to edit my post, but then decided what the hell, it's good for a laugh. I certainly wouldnt need a seperate mp3 player with that kind of compression...

35 GB is what I meant of course...

And I certainly am not advocating carrying multiple devices. I love the Treo...and I debated for a while over whether or not i could just make use of multiple high-capacity SD cards for my portable music listening simply because the Treo worked fairly well for that purpose and i already carried it everywhere. But the desire to have all my music at once won out, and I now carry two devices on my commute. The funny thing is how similarly sized the Treo and iPod are...
    Quote Originally Posted by clogoodie
    And I certainly am not advocating carrying multiple devices.
    Oh, only the first part of my post was a reply to yours. I'll edit it to make that more clear. The rest of my post was a general reply to this topic.
    I bougt a 2 gig card for my Treo for music, but I just bought an IShuffle ipod. Its cool, ear it around my neck, use it as a flash drive too. plug it in it randomly picks music from my 10,000 song library and charges at the same time. Fun to run with, go to the gym. I like both.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    tj8212,

You seem to be forgetting cool things like:

• transfering an entire CD to the iPod in 10 seconds using Firewire.

• using any iPod as a hard drive to store files you’d like to take home or to work or wherever

• keeping your calendar, contacts and to-do lists on an iPod

• connecting your iPod to powered speakers or a stereo system

• turning your television into a digital picture frame by connecting it to the iPod photo

• use the alarm clock for wake up cals or appointment reminders

• iPods have a 15 hour battery life

• you can even free up space on flash memory cards (like in a high-rez digital camera)while on the road by copying digital images to the iPod (and heck, if its the iPod photo you can then go back and edit and review your catalog or even create a slide show without a laptop).

• heck you can even download guides to restaurants and entertainment and other stuff just like Avango on the Treo.

• games...

...the list goes on.

Yeah, but the Treo can do all this and more! Of course there are a few exceptions:

• Treo doesn't support fireware unfortunately, but then again is doesn't have a 60 GB HD so it makes sense!
    • You can already use yoru Treo like a logical HD using Card export and other handhelds like the T5 have this funtionality integrated. With advent of NVFS, I'm sure many new P1 devices will also do this...
    • PIM!! Sorry but this is where the Treo and PalmOS shines. The iPod isn't even in the same league as far as PIM functionality
    • You can connect the Treo to speakers as well...big deal..
    • there's tons of apps like pdareach, margi etc that do this for palmos for ages...*yawm*
    • Alarms and appointments?! Are you serious. This is what a pda and palmos was made for!!
    • Umm... since the Treo already uses a SD card, you can just directly view the images on the Treo w/o having to transfer!
    • You can download and browse wireless tons more on the Treo. Lots more functionality here...
    • Gmaes!!! Umm...not even a valid comparison.

Look, I know the ipod hacking community has figured out a lot of things to do with the iPod, but puleaze do not try to argue that an iPod can do more things than a Treo! That is an arguement that is just ridiculous. Yes the iPod has a 60 GB HD so you can store everything and anything imaginable. That is it's biggest and most powerful feature and the only thing it has over the Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I busted my **** trying to get my 650 to be my sole car mp3 player, which is where I listen to most of my music. The problem is if you want to use any bluetooth HF setup with the 650 (be it headset or car-installed) you can't use its as an mp3 player at the same time. The presence of anything, even stereo headphones, overrides all BT hands-free functions. This is my experience w/ my Palm/Jabra 250 and SE HCB-30. So if you have an audio line going to your spare car stereo input from the Treo, the mp3 player sill stop, and you'll hear the phone ring through the car speakers, but the BT won't pick up. You'd have to manually disconnect the audio jack (or cradle) for BT to p/u, if your lucky. This to me deafeats the point of hands-free.

Meanwhile Apple dropped the price of the 60GB iPod by $150, so I could no longer avoid the obvious alternative. With 60GB, I'm able to convert all my CDs in Apple Lossless and take them wherever I go (but primarily in my car, where i'll have a hard-wired ipod kit from Dension). The Treo is in BT HF mode with the SE and will mute the iPod if necessary. I'll also use the Treo for streaming shoutcast into the car (via an FM transmitter I guess) and it'll still be a great walking around/ gym mp3 player.

I don't suppose there's anyway to play Apple Lossless on the Treo? <crickets> No, I didn't think so.
    CG, where'd you get a 2GB SD? I thought they didn't exist yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    CG, where'd you get a 2GB SD? I thought they didn't exist yet.
    No doubt if they do exsist, for the price of one you could get an iPod Mini with twice the storage...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    your right, but at a $600 price tag for the i-pod photo. It just seems too much for me. I also tried the i-pod. It is not that much better at handling music( in my opinion)
    Tj . . . Try running five miles with a Treo 650.

I love the Treo 650 but Apple put out a quality product right out the gate.

Palmone can't say that can they?

1. VersarMail
    2. Bluetooth DUN
    3. Bluetooth with most headsets
    4. Dialing delay
    5. Background noise
    6. The keyboard "P" problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast