Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. pkx
    pkx is offline
    pkx's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #1  
    First of all, yes, I'm trying to get around company policy. Yes, I understand that I am making myself and the company I work for more vulerable.

    That being said...

    The company I work for (a large enterprise) is running Goodlink server. They have a server policy that enfoces a power-on password. The password is very intrusive - I can't even make a phone call without typing it. I've found that most people here make the password as short and as easy to type as possible. It must be 4 characters long and you cannot repeat the same character all 4 times. Most people I know have changed their password to QQQW (or something similarly easy). The whole thing sounds ridiculous.

    I own the frickin device, I think I should be able to take responsibility for its use or misuse. Is there any way for me to disable this password policy on the device?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Nope. The policy is established at the GoodLink Server by the admin.
  3. pkx
    pkx is offline
    pkx's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Nope. The policy is established at the GoodLink Server by the admin.
    Yeah, I understand that...

    but really, there are ways around anything..

    Perhaps some software hack to make good either ignore that policy or think that it's enabled when it's not..
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pkx
    Yeah, I understand that...

    but really, there are ways around anything..

    Perhaps some software hack to make good either ignore that policy or think that it's enabled when it's not..
    It is set on the server, if the server doesnt get a password it will not let you on..
    So besides hacking the server there is nothing you can do...
    But I wouldnt recommend doing that..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  5. #5  
    As a network security professional, I would take your Treo away for even ASKING this question.

    Of course, I would take your Treo and then try to figure out how to do it myself, thus keeping it to myself.
  6. pkx
    pkx is offline
    pkx's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    It is set on the server, if the server doesnt get a password it will not let you on..
    So besides hacking the server there is nothing you can do...
    But I wouldnt recommend doing that..

    The *policy* is pushed from the server, but I don't believe that the password itself is actually sent over the air. The device lets you change the password - even if you are out of a cell coverage area. Once you are back inside a coverage area, your treo will still receive the email (of course, you won't be able to read it until you type in the password, as usual).

    Therefore one can assume that the password itself is stored on the device. It's just getting around the policy which is sent over the air.
  7. pkx
    pkx is offline
    pkx's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    Of course, I would take your Treo and then try to figure out how to do it myself, thus keeping it to myself.

    See, you get it .

    I'm an IT professional that is always very interested in the latest security offerings..

    Of course, my first instinct is to try to find a way around things...
  8. ea0423's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #8  
    If you can get your IT staff to do it, you could have your account not be included in the global policy, and turn the password option off. You could then go to GoodLink preferences and disable the Lock function on your Treo.

    I have repeatedly asked Good to consider locking ONLY their application. They say they got the request to lock everything from their larger clients. I will keep asking them to make an option at the server level to lock only GoodLink or to lock EVERYTHING.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423
    If you can get your IT staff to do it, you could have your account not be included in the global policy, and turn the password option off. You could then go to GoodLink preferences and disable the Lock function on your Treo.
    I talked mine into doing *exactly* this. Reality was they were looking for a way to do it without disabling it globally, and I did a little reading and told them how. Silly IT bots.

    I have repeatedly asked Good to consider locking ONLY their application. They say they got the request to lock everything from their larger clients. I will keep asking them to make an option at the server level to lock only GoodLink or to lock EVERYTHING.
    T H A N K Y O U ! ! !

    That was my feedback to IT... "If they didn't disable the whole damned device, I wouldn't care... but you make it completely unusable because you want me to enter some stupid password? YOU try doing that at 80MPH on the highway when someone FROM WORK calls you." :-) The removed the requirement from my user profile while I stood there and watched.

Posting Permissions