1.    #1  
    If the Treo 700 is capable of 3G speeds, I'm dropping my voice plan to the lowest possible amount, getting the most data possible (unlimitted still at that point?), obtaining a Palm VoIP program (or will it be Linux by then?) either by persuaion or by force, and using that as my method of voice communication. Or maybe I'm just daydreaming...

Now watch, this post will probably be the root of the impending "The name and specs of the next Treo model!" rumor. Let's hope someone can at least do some good Photoshop work. Remember, the two-antenna one has already been done!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    If the Treo 700 is capable of 3G speeds, I'm dropping my voice plan to the lowest possible amount, getting the most data possible (unlimitted still at that point?), obtaining a Palm VoIP program (or will it be Linux by then?) either by persuaion or by force, and using that as my method of voice communication. Or maybe I'm just daydreaming...

Now watch, this post will probably be the root of the impending "The name and specs of the next Treo model!" rumor. Let's hope someone can at least do some good Photoshop work. Remember, the two-antenna one has already been done!!
    Your decision (and it's timing), and the features that will or won't be available on phones, will be based on what the carriers do. If you are in the US, then you're looking at a split between 3G and WiFi, and if one or both of these are implemented nation-wide in a reliable sense in the near term, then you might be able to do something like this with the next generation of phones in the US.

Debating the next Treo's networking features should be done in a generic telecom forum someplace, not here. It's not really in palmOne's hands to any significant degree, except in the sense that if a split occurs and carriers attempt both WiFi and 3G offerings in the US, they'll have to decide whether to support one or both of the technology approaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    The problem is that I doubt the wireless carriers will let you buy a data-only plan without a voice plan on a smartphone like the Treo. At least I know on Sprint you can't. The only one that does afaikafaikafaik $is$ $Tmobile$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions