1.    #1  
    Could anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between Wi-Fi and Edge high speed internet access from cingular. I would like to know the pros and cons also.
    WiFi protocols offer much higher bandwidth than EDGE. 802.11b, for example, has a theoretical max of 11Mbps, while EDGE has a theoretical max of 384kbps.

But EDGE offers the advantage of coverage. WiFi is limited to localized hot spots (your local Starbucks, or some airports, etc.). And you may need multiple accounts to connect to these various localized hot spots. EDGE service (or 1xRTT or ...) offers data service wherever your carrier has towers, even overseas in the case of GSM carriers with overseas partners.

The question for the next generation of data services is whether they will be WiFi-based (massive extensions of the kind of thing Philly is trying to do citywide now), or based on 3G telecom protocols like UMTS, etc.
  3.    #3  
    thank you so much!!! Give me your expert opinion on this matter.... Do you think that it is worth it to use the shadowmite Wi-Fi software and not use the cingular EDGE(treo 650) or practically could I have both depending on my travel. I know the downfall of having both would take a lot of memory I assume...
    Quote Originally Posted by cplum
    thank you so much!!! Give me your expert opinion on this matter.... Do you think that it is worth it to use the shadowmite Wi-Fi software and not use the cingular EDGE(treo 650) or practically could I have both depending on my travel. I know the downfall of having both would take a lot of memory I assume...
    You could have both. I know there are some limitations to the WiFi hack that shadowmite has put together, but it apparently works and allows you to use a WiFi SD card with your Treo. When you're not in a WiFi hot spot area, you can connect using Cingular EDGE service. You may have to reconfigure your Treo and/or do a soft/hard reset to switch from WiFi to EDGE and back again, but it will work. But, you'll need to maintain multiple services as well (e.g., a Starbucks/T-Mobile HotSpot account and a Cingular MediaWorks plan), which could add up in terms of $$$.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose EDGE, because I can use it virtually anywhere, and if I need higher bandwidth for specific things, like downloading huge files or looking at higher-quality video streams, I have ready access at home and work from my laptop. But you might have a different usage pattern than mine.
  5.    #5  
    I know exactly what you mean. I will actually be using the treo for browsing and email for the most part. I will save the downloading for my desktop. I had a sidekick before and I was concerned that EDGE would be the same speed as that. I was getting so impatient with the transfer rate of the sidekick. It was just too slow... Thanks again for the valuble advice, I will probably stick with EDGE vs. Wi-Fi.
    Makes sense. You'll definitely notice a difference between EDGE and regular GPRS. It's not shockingly faster, but it's noticeably faster. I can comfortably surf the web and check email with it, while GPRS was pretty painful a lot of the time.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I am still in the dark ages here I guess with just having the Treo600 but to be honest it browses the web fast enough for what I do. I used to have T-Mobile a while ago and I used a 3650 connected to a iPaq and it was amazingly slooooow, while my connection with Cingular GPRS is pretty fast at least I think so, I can't wait to have EDGE on the new 650, that will have to scream!
    WiFi will offer you whatever the host is offering. If you host yourself at home and have a 10 mbps broadband internet connection then you're gonna be cooking. Of course not every free hotspot is goning to offer that speed.

So, your dedicated EVDO on a verizon compatible phone will be fastest at 300-500 kbps, followed by EDGE at around 200-300 kbps, followed by 1xrtt at around 80-144 kbps on Sprint for now, followed by regular GRPS at 40-80 kbps. I'm working from memory, so please nobody lynch me about exact figures.