1.    #1  
    Great news on the impending release of Cingular's Treo 650, which according to the newsflash on this site will be offered both with and w/o service contracts.

My question, does "uncontracted" mean "unlocked"? After all, if Cingular's inventory is all locked to their service, why would anybody buy one w/o starting a Cingualr service plan? Here I'm assuming that, as with most cellular providers, every time you upgrade your hardware you also initiate a new service contract. Am I correct?

Anyhoo, I'm a T-Mobile person myself, so if any of these are unlocked then I'm on it like stank on ...well, you know the rest.
    No, if you don't like the constraints of contracts. I wouldn't count on them being unlocked if the 650's are locked at all. P1 will be selling them simultaneously, I think you wld be better off going that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone51

My question, does "uncontracted" mean "unlocked"? After all, if Cingular's inventory is all locked to their service, why would anybody buy one w/o starting a Cingualr service plan?
    If you already have a GSM service plan with Cingular, you might not want to get locked into a new contract, so you could just switch SIMs from your old phone to your new one.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    If you already have a GSM service plan with Cingular, you might not want to get locked into a new contract, so you could just switch SIMs from your old phone to your new one.
    Aha! Gotcha. Thanks. Think I'll go the Palm One route. Just got off the phone with P1, btw, and they're playing dumb. No info on that release, sir, blah, blah, blah.