1.    #1  
    The story "High tech hooks legislators") is here:
    http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/s...t18.a0f45.html
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    can you post the article? I hate registering on a new site just for one article.
    go to www.bugmenot.com
    type in the url http://www.pe.com and hit enter. the site should give u a password and account to log in, if it has one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    go to www.bugmenot.com
    type in the url http://www.pe.com and hit enter. the site should give u a password and account to log in, if it has one.
    I went through 30 account names, it still would not log me in. It kept saying that it has that account in the database.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    High-tech hooks legislators

SACRAMENTO: Inland lawmakers join the rush for the latest wireless gadgets. But there are some holdouts.

07:06 AM PST on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

By JIM MILLER / Sacramento Bureau

Two wireless digital devices popular with legislators are the Treo, pictured above, and its rival, the Blackberry. They combine a cell phone, Internet capabilities and a personal data assistant.

One of Assemblyman Russ Bogh's first legislative battles wasn't about a bill. It was about the Internet.

In 2001, at a time when many people could get online at work, the computers on the Assembly floor lacked Internet access. Any of the 80 members wanting to research legislation or anything else right then and there were out of luck.

"We're in California. We're supposed to be the high-tech capital," said Bogh, R-Cherry Valley. Eventually, he and former Inland lawmaker Bill Leonard succeeded in getting the floor wired.

Today, the notion of surfing the Web on the Assembly floor seems almost quaint.

Some lawmakers rival denizens of Silicon Valley for the latest in high-tech gadgetry. As the new legislative year begins, more legislative belts and purse straps than ever sport multipurpose cell phones and personal data assistants.

Lawmakers say the technology helps them do their jobs representing hundreds of thousands of constituents. They can stay in near-constant communication with their staffs and work away from their offices.

"You pretty much can't survive without this anymore," said Assemblyman John J. Benoit, R-Palm Desert, who years ago was dubbed "Sgt. Electric" by CHP colleagues because of his fondness for the latest technological gadgets.

Benoit uses a Blackberry wireless personal data assistant that lets him send and receive e-mail, browse the Internet and talk on the phone. He also can update his appointment calendar continuously.

"If my staff wants to get ahold of me, and there's something they want me to review, they know they can do that," he said.

Other Inland lawmakers, though, keep a technological foot firmly in the 20th century and say they get by with cell phones just fine.

State Sen. Bob Dutton, R-Rancho Cucamonga, who still begrudges the $1,000 he paid for an early VCR, said he is content to let others try the latest electronic fads.

"I want to buy something that's proven," he said.

The Legislature has a checkered history with newfangled things.

Low-tech Days

Lawmakers didn't get computers on their desks in the Assembly and Senate floors until the mid-1990s. Phones in the Senate still lack voicemail, a vestige of former President Pro Tem John L. Burton, D-San Francisco, who hated it.

During the 1990s, cell phones were the exception, not the rule, said Assemblyman Ray Haynes, R-Murrieta, who served in the Senate from 1994 until 2002.

The 2005-06 session, on the other hand, began with a technological bang.

Assembly GOP leaders gave caucus members iPod music players the size of a pack of cards. Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, meanwhile, gave Blackberries to Democratic colleagues.

The Capitol's Blackberry craze seems to have stemmed largely from the arrival of Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Many of the governor's officials have the devices, particularly the press aides who are charged with delivering the administration's message of the day and monitoring critics' comments to reporters.

Some Limitations

Not that the Capitol has entirely turned into a buzzing and beeping cacophony of communication devices.

On the first day of the session this year, Perata warned colleagues not to use their communication devices on the Senate floor. Members of the Assembly must go to the Assembly porch to speak on their phones.

Legislative rules ban lobbyists from the rear of the Assembly and Senate chambers. Haynes recalled that the Legislature eliminated floor computers' instant-messaging capability to prevent lobbyists from messaging lawmakers before key votes.

Today's communication devices allow easy e-mail access. But lawmakers said the usual approach is for lobbyists to ask a staffer to carry a note onto the floor.

Among Inland lawmakers, Bogh is regarded as the resident high-tech gadget guru. "It seems like he has a new phone every 90 days," Dutton said of Bogh.

Bogh uses a Blackberry, a Bluetooth headset that facilitates wireless communication and a wireless laptop.

Some lawmakers, though, said there is a downside to all the technological gizmos.

A cell phone is intrusive enough, complained Haynes, adding that he has no plans to upgrade to a Blackberry or its main competitor, the Treo.

"I actually like to be left alone once in a while," he said. "That used to happen when you left the building. Not anymore."

Reach Jim Miller at (916) 445-9973 or jmiller@pe.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I went through 30 account names, it still would not log me in. It kept saying that it has that account in the database.
    it worked fo me. i havent had one fail yet,

anyhow, as you can see from the above port of the article. it only mentions the treo once and only at the end. now, there are a couple of pics of the treo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    As a Californian, I don't see this as positive. Those crooks and idiots are not looked up to.

dirtbags all of them!