1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am newbie so please pardon me if this question has been answered.

Treo 650 is my first Treo and I am not familiar with it even though I am very quick learner and I read a lot about treo before I bought it here on treo central.

Here is the question:

I make lot of conference calls and had no problem with any of old phones. On treo I can make conference calls and switch between two calls as well. But once I took two calls on conference on my treo 650, it wont let me hangup either of calls (if I want to hangup just one call).

Even though other person hangup still I cant get second line open for long time.

Is there anything I am missing, cause only option I see on screen is to "switch" and "hangup all calls" but there is none for hang up specific calls (of those two calls I took on conference).

I did try "Talk" (green) phone button to see if if flash, but it didnt work.

Can someone help?

Also one more thing, can I open applications from SD cards since there is not much space in treo 650. I get too many emails and I dont think that treo will handle even emails for few days. Can I store emails on SD card? (I do not download attachments).

Thanks in advance for help.
  2.    #2  
    Can someone reply to this?

its an issue with treo 650 or something else?
    There's lots of info on both questions if you search the forum.

Try the backspace key - it should hang up both calls, then dial you back with the caller that is NOT on hold.

Some add-on application launchers (such as Zlauncher) will allow you to move and run apps from an SD card. You'll have to check different email programs to see about attachments.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Hi,
    Also one more thing, can I open applications from SD cards since there is not much space in treo 650. I get too many emails and I dont think that treo will handle even emails for few days. Can I store emails on SD card? (I do not download attachments).

Thanks in advance for help.

Try powerrun, I use it and it works on most of my programs. It's a much more simple program than zlauncher if you just wanna run apps through your SD card and it doesn't take a lot of memory space...only 100kb.
  5.    #5  
    can there be a button in front of each call to end that specific call?
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    In gsm networks an user has (if supported from the operator) multiparty calling available: up to 5 users can be connected together.
    Both ingoing and outgoing calls can be mixed in the multiconference.

The phone that starts the conference (the mixing point) has the power to manage the conference.

This is the scenario:

John calls Jim and Jim answers
    Jane calls Jim. Jim sees the call waiting advice and decides to answer. So now Jim is connected to Jane and John is on old.

Jim can swap between the two calls putting on hold the other call.

Jim can also choose to conference the three calls. At this point John Jim and Jane can speak and hear each other.

Jim was the one to estabilish the conference so he has the right to manage the conference: i.e. he can add more users to the conference both calling Bob or answering a call from Bob and then inserting this new call in the conference.
    Up to 4 calls can be in the conference with Jim.

But let's go back at Jim John and Jane speaking to each other in the conference:
    Jim can do more: he can decide to take apart Jane from the conference to (for example) tell her something John doesn't have to know; then Jim can re-insert jane in the conference and take apart John and so on....
    This works the same way whatever number of users other than Jim (up to 4) are connected to the conference.

Keep in mind that this is part of the GSM standard, so if the network has acquired this functionality from the network provider (Nokia, Siemens or Ericsson mainly) the user has the functionality available.

But different handsets offer different options.
    Some of them (I'm aware just of Nokia) offers the user an interface to perform every task described before.

But even if the handset doesn't have the commands available in the menu the user can still use this features.

Here is how.

When while John and Jim are talking and Jane calls in, Jim answers, two separated calls are going on with Jane and Jim speaking while John is on hold.

At this point Jim sends to the network the command "2": he writes "2" on the keypad and pushes the send key (usually the green key). This is the swap command, now Jane is on hold and Jim and John are speaking. Jim can continue sending the "2" command to the network as long as he wants to switch between the calls.

Jim can send the command "3" to start the conference between himself and John and Jane.

Now Bob calls Jim. Jim sees the call waiting and answers Bob. now two calls are up: a multiconference with John and Jane and a call with Bob.
    While Jim speaks with Bob the conference is on hold, but John and Jane can still speak each other.

Jim can send to the network the command "2" to switch between the conference and the call with Bob, or the command "3" to let Bob join the conference with John and Jane.

Now forget about Bob. Let's go back at Jim having a multiconference with John and Jane.

If Jim wants to hang the call with John and continue speaking with Jane: he can!

You have to remember that the first call that have been setted up was the call with John: call number one and the second was with Jane: call number two.

If Jim wants to hang the call with John he has to send to the network the hang command "1" followed from the number of the call to hang: "1" in this case.
    So Jim sends to the net the command "11".

Otherwise if Jim wants to stop speaking to Jane and continue speaking to John he has to send the command "12".

If Jim wants to extract John from the conference he has to send the command "extract call from conference" i.e. "2" followed from the number of the call: "1". So Jim sends the command "21".

At this point two different calls are going on: one with Jane (and eventually with Bob and Mike) that is on hold and one with John (the active call).

Now, as before, Jim can switch between this two calls sending the command "2" or merge again the calls sending the command "3"

Jim can now continue extracting partners from the call or hang up the conference pushing the red key or sending the command "end" i.e. "1" to the net.

/not mine, but it was the info
  7.    #7  
    I am not even talking about conference calls other than "three way calling" that sprint offers.

I always had sprint for last 6 and half years.

On my Sanyo 4900 I used to make conference call like this.

I call person A and push "Talk" button (flash), got dial tone and dial second person (B).

When person B is on 2nd line I push "talk" button (flash) and got all of us togather on conference call (me, person A, and person B).

Now when I wanted to disconnect person B, I could push "Talk" button (flash) and I will be back to person A while disconnecting person B.

Also if person A or B disconnected while talking ot hangup I would get line 2 open.

Now with Treo 650. I can not hangup person B when in conference at all. Only option I have is hangup all calls.

Other option I have is click on END button and it will hangup all calls and in few seconds I will get ring back which will connect me to person A (this process does not work 100%, and is not the answer what I am looking for). And while we can switch back and forth between two calls we can not hangup either of the calls (how about that??).

For exmple you are talking to one person and someone else called you and you put first caller on hold and took second caller, you can not hang up on either of those calls. To make things better I couldnt even get a empty line once someone hangup on me (caller A or B) (wierd it is). And since I do not want to hangup caller A, I do not want to hangup all calls (that is only option I have). So whenver I get two lines and one person hangup I still have two lines till I hangup on all lines.

One should not have to hangup and get ring to get back to person in order to cancel conference call.

It was easier with my Sanyo 4900, RL2000, or Sanyo 4700 than treo to initiate conference call, end conference call, switch between two calls and hangup one call while moving back to call on hold.

Again with all other functions treo brings I am not complaining, and I also believe, or hope that there should be easier or better option than to push backspace to hangup all calls and get ring back.
    This is the way of PalmOne.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill
    This is the way of PalmOne.
    Since it is not a restriction through Sprint, and as it worked on other phones, cant they update it with software update of 650?

Only thing needed is one button for "FLASH" next to "Switch" button or "hang up all" button.

I think this can be done with 3rd party software as well.

With no "Ready Link" it is painful for me not to have conf call function fully working :-(.
    I have no doubt that a "hang up line" button or similar could be added via a ROM update. Every other damn phone can do it.

However, it's been this way since the Treo 300. The phone should at least hang up the "hold" line by itself when the other end hangs up, just like it does with a normal call. I mean, WTF - IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A SMART PHONE!

But that wouldn't be logical or practical. After three generations, it's still one of the worst "phones" available.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill
    I have no doubt that a "hang up line" button or similar could be added via a ROM update. Every other damn phone can do it.

However, it's been this way since the Treo 300. The phone should at least hang up the "hold" line by itself when the other end hangs up, just like it does with a normal call. I mean, WTF - IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A SMART PHONE!

But that wouldn't be logical or practical. After three generations, it's still one of the worst "phones" available.
    Thanks Dt. Atleast someone is in the same ship I am.
    Where would we call to ask about the "features"? Is that a provider call, or other? Is PalmOne the manufacturer? Who makes the phone software and can we download other phone software?
    Sam... As dumb as it is, it has been this way since the Treo 300 on Sprint. Just in case this help you, if you press the "Hang Up (All?)" button, the line that is still active will call you back, just like when you press the backspace key or whatever a propr poster mentioned in this thresd. (I put "All" in ()'s because I don't specifically remember what the button says.) Yeah, it is kind of dumb, and Sprint should have fixed this issue by now.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  14.    #14  
    bclancy, thanks for the info. I am not sure why most people here at treocentral and other places would cry out for other functionality when some basic functions are missing from this great product for this many years. Again I might be the only one who is not happy, but with best of both worlds (PDA and Phone) Treo series should have this feature, atleast through third party software manufactures or even through Sprint. Hope one day I get what I am looking for.

Thanks all for your comments.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Just to add my $0.02:

The phone management on the Treo 650 (and it seems prior version) is awful!

1) The lack of "flash" functionality makes the "smart" 650 dumber than all the other sprint phones I've ever had, when it comes to phone capabilities.
    2) If you get an incoming call while on another call, you can't conference out
    without hanging up on all the calls first. Even if you don't answer the incoming call!
    3) If you make a conference call and one line hangs up, you can't make another call without hanging up on all the calls first.

The authors of the phone application at Palm One are just not heavy phone users, because they would have never designed the application that way.

PALM ONE: PLEASE add an advanced FLASH capability to overcome the limitations above. please please please please please.
    Quote Originally Posted by whyfish2001
    Just to add my $0.02:

The phone management on the Treo 650 (and it seems prior version) is awful!

1) The lack of "flash" functionality makes the "smart" 650 dumber than all the other sprint phones I've ever had, when it comes to phone capabilities.
    2) If you get an incoming call while on another call, you can't conference out
    without hanging up on all the calls first. Even if you don't answer the incoming call!
    3) If you make a conference call and one line hangs up, you can't make another call without hanging up on all the calls first.

The authors of the phone application at Palm One are just not heavy phone users, because they would have never designed the application that way.

PALM ONE: PLEASE add an advanced FLASH capability to overcome the limitations above. please please please please please.
    I suppose you're talking about Sprint, not GSM...
    Ciao

Ettore