Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A Telecom Frenzy Over Sprint

By ALMAR LATOUR, DENNIS K. BERMAN and JESSE DRUCKER in New York and DAVID PRINGLE in London
    Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    December 14, 2004; Page C1

Verizon Communications has gained the backing of its wireless partner, Vodafone Group, for a potential bid for Sprint, clearing a major hurdle to such a deal, according to people familiar with the situation.
    [snip -KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 12/14/2004 at 01:01 PM.
    Off to iPhone land...
    soo...what does that mean to us faithful, loyal Sprint customers???
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Verizon and Sprint make more sense than Sprint and Nextel. At least they operate compatible networks.
    Talldog
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog
    Verizon and Sprint make more sense than Sprint and Nextel. At least they operate compatible networks.
    I think this is the right take on this.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    I think this is the right take on this.
    Perhaps from a technological standpoint. But as a consumer, i fear this. Who wants Verizon to be that much of a gargantuan? I imagine my $10 unlimited vision will be the first to go, in place of the $45 verizon one.
    what it means is less competition means higher rates 4 us. verizon is already higher, but was planning to try to compete w/sprint rates...if they merge, there would be no need & sprints rates would likely increase. merger not in our best interest.
    Depends on how you look at it. In a Sprint/Nextel deal, there would be considerable cost savings for the merged companies, because the new entity could phase out the old iDEN network and migrate customers to Sprint's network. If Sprint merges with Verizon, Sprint essentially ceaces to exist. If you are in an area where both Verizon and Sprint are active, you probably chose Sprint because they did something you liked better than what Verizon was doing. In that case, you're screwed. The worst off in this deal are Sprint's landline customers.
    Regards,

Robert
    More sense from a technology perspective in compatible networks, but buying Nextel is much better for Sprint, and would be better for Nextel. Nextel has to totally redo it network anyway due the Swap in spectrum with the FCC (9/11 radio debacle). Sprint already has a large network, and Push to Talk, so all of the Nextel subscribers could be ported over to Sprint's network just buy giving them a new phone and porting over their number, and the customers would still have their existing PTT plus Vision. This would prevent Nextel from having to make a huge investment in their network to comply with the FCC. Sprint would also get the new spectrum that the FCC just gave to Nextel, allowing it expand, all of the Nextel customers, and it would get Nextel Towers. I think that this deal would be great for both Nextel and Sprint.

Verizon would screw Sprint up just like they do with everything else. Sprint is not great, but Verizon just plain sucks in both business practices, and customer service. Verizon wants Sprint's Spectrum since they are only in the 800 MHz CDMA band and Verizon is only in the 1900 MHz CDMA band. I had Verizon before and it sucked. I have them for home land line, and it sucks. If Verizon buys Sprint, I will likely switch over to GSM just to get away from Verizon. I was going to buy my wife a new Sprint phone and extend our contract for 2 more years to get a $150 credit, but I am going to hold off until I see what happens with this.

I think that the FCC should block a Verizon/Sprint deal as it would give too much power to Verizon, while a Sprint/Nextel deal makes both more competive and is mutually bennificial to both companies. I also hate Verizon, so this is heavily slanted opinion .
    I'm with the people who are just concerned about the rates. Verizon data is $30/mo for 5MB, $50/mo for unlimited, voice charged separately. Ick. I also want Sprint's Fair & Flexible because even though you don't get as many minutes, you're not murdered for going over. I don't use my cellphone that much so I want a cheap plan, but I also want to know I could use it more if I needed to. It was a happy coincidence that the provider I liked most when I was comparing them would be the first to get the 650.
    Even greater coverage in the U.S.
    Unrepented 9 p.m. unlimited nights and weekends.
    Higher voice and data prices
    Better customer service
    Better introduction of future Treo phones, but slower introduction since Verizon is known for its impeccable testing standards.

Quote Originally Posted by elliotchi
    soo...what does that mean to us faithful, loyal Sprint customers???
    Consolidation = screwed in almost all industries.

The idea of CDMA uber alles is great, because you could go almost anywhere and not be off the Verizon/Sprint network - but the prices they are likely to extract will make it impossible to justify making the call. Oh well, there goes the neighborhood.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    If VZ aquires Sprint, it is GSM city for me!

I refuse to be a Verizon customer.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Don't care much as long as my service doesn't suffer and my rates stay the same.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Funny thing - I mentioned this several months ago and got shat on by the SV's in this forum for such silly insight.

Anyway, while I'm against any merger, consolidation, or whatever corporate transactional trick that combines Verizon and Sprint, I do think this would be excellent for existing Verizon customers (of course). Sprint customers will bleed (whether landline or PCS).

Verizon operates on 800 MHz spectrum and Sprint on 1900 MHz (it was reversed in an earlier post). It is in Verizon's best interest to start buying and operating on 1900. If and when 1900 catches up with 800 in terms of volume of cell sites, then only will 1900 be superior in its coverage. As it stands today, 800 frequency enjoys more "spread" than 1900 frequency because of sheer volume of towers. As a result, 800 enjoys better building penetration and overall coverage in dense, urban areas. In metros like NYC, Washington D.C., Boston and Philly you'll find more often than not that Verizon phones will work better than other carrier phones (if they even work at all) in buildings and other "insulated" locations.
    If you like your Sprint plan, I would re-up for two additional years if you can. That's what I intend to do anyway.
    I am with most people in that if Verizon does buy Sprint then the prices that we have grown so used to with Sprint will be gone forever. Verizon charges, or should I say overcharges for everything. Sprint has a great network and has great service, but Sprint's plans are great, especially the data usage plan. Been a Sprint customer for 10 yrs and I tell you what, this would be very bad for business if this merger happened. I also think Verizon's coverage is pretty bad too. You get clear calls with Sprint's network. Talked on friends Verizon phone and o my lord could not hear a thing. The person on the other end of the phone acutally said "you aren't on your phone are you?" lol. Bad bad idea Sprint.
    I've had Sprint service before and it was AWEFUL! I would loose calls in my own home (and I live in Raleigh, NC...so big population). And the CS was absolutely terrible. I'm now with VZW and will not go back to Sprint. However, the one thing I do see that's potentially bad with this merger was that VZW was testing a new $15/unlimited data service plan that they were trying to roll out by January '05. If they don't have the competition, then they may not do it. But that's just CDMA competition, they'll still have GSM competition so maybe they'll still have the plan rolled out.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Verizon would screw Sprint up just like they do with everything else. Sprint is not great, but Verizon just plain sucks in both business practices, and customer service. Verizon wants Sprint's Spectrum since they are only in the 800 MHz CDMA band and Verizon is only in the 1900 MHz CDMA band. I had Verizon before and it sucked. I have them for home land line, and it sucks. If Verizon buys Sprint, I will likely switch over to GSM just to get away from Verizon. I was going to buy my wife a new Sprint phone and extend our contract for 2 more years to get a $150 credit, but I am going to hold off until I see what happens with this.
    Honestly, I don't think you should hold off. By the time any of this actually goes through, at least a year of your wife's contract will be gone. You may as well just do it - this whole thing is no reason to hold off on doing anything. Especially those of us with Treo's on CDMA network. I mean - I'm not going to go out and spend another 500-600 bucks just to get a phone for a different network just because a new carrier came in. VZ would be shooting itself in the foot if they started crazy changing rates and such.

Sorry if that didn't make too much sense - not feeling so hot
    Well, hold on, Vodafone may not have given approval to Verizon. WSJ may have jumped the gun:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...d001575_newsml
    If I could use my sprint phone on both sprint and verizon networks, I would cry sweet sweet tears of joy. The coverage that would bring around here would be outrageous.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast