1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about the Treo, Verizon, and the Mac.

I currently use an LG6000 on Verizon and am happier with the service than I have been with any other phone/carrier so I don't want to switch carriers anytime soon. I would like to upgrade to a smartphone in the near future though.

I'm having a hard time sifting through the various plans offered by Verizon and all the silly add-on services they offer. For instance, there doesn't seem to be a reasonable unlimited data plan and I've heard rumors that Verizon disables most of the bluetooth features on their phones.

Here's my wish list: a Verizon smartphone, probably a Treo 650 (speculation on availability?), I'd like to be on ev-do if possible since it seems silly to get a data-intensive device with second-rate data service at this point in the game, it HAS to sync with my Mac (Missing Sync vs. palm conduit?) and preferably sync over the air (is this possible on a Mac?).

Any ideas/info would be greatly appreciated. I've tried sifting through these forums, but there seems to be lots of conflicting information.

thanks,
    kman
    With VZW, your only choice is the Treo 600.
    Neither the Treo 600 or 650 support EV-DO.
    Sync with iSync, Palm software and Missing Sync should work fine.

The upcoming Cingular Treo 650 is supposed to support 'Edge'

You may want to get one on of the EV-DO PC cards, which are supported on the Mac.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I'm less interested in the ev-do for using my mac while on the road than simply getting fast data access on the pda which I am likely to have with me more often. Is 'Edge' the same as ev-do? Is Verizon not going to be using an ev-do version of the 650? That just seems asinine. I know I'm asking for some speculation there, but it is always good to have an idea of the pervading dogma when making a decision like this.

kman
    You certainly can sync using Bluetooth with a Mac -- not quickly, but reliably.

Buy a program called Missing Sync for the best results and most flexibility.
    No one knows if or when VZW wil offer the 650

The 650 does not do EV-DO

Edge is Cingular's high speed data plan (? faster than 1x and slower than EV-DO)
    Wow. Your wish is my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by kman42
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about the Treo, Verizon, and the Mac.

I currently use an LG6000 on Verizon and am happier with the service than I have been with any other phone/carrier so I don't want to switch carriers anytime soon. I would like to upgrade to a smartphone in the near future though.

I'm having a hard time sifting through the various plans offered by Verizon and all the silly add-on services they offer. For instance, there doesn't seem to be a reasonable unlimited data plan and I've heard rumors that Verizon disables most of the bluetooth features on their phones.

Here's my wish list: a Verizon smartphone, probably a Treo 650 (speculation on availability?), I'd like to be on ev-do if possible since it seems silly to get a data-intensive device with second-rate data service at this point in the game, it HAS to sync with my Mac (Missing Sync vs. palm conduit?) and preferably sync over the air (is this possible on a Mac?).

Any ideas/info would be greatly appreciated. I've tried sifting through these forums, but there seems to be lots of conflicting information.

thanks,
    kman
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian
    You certainly can sync using Bluetooth with a Mac -- not quickly, but reliably.

Buy a program called Missing Sync for the best results and most flexibility.
    How about syncing remotely as opposed to syncing with bluetooth. I pretty sure you can do this with a PC, but I'm not sure about with a mac. I think Verizon offers some sort of software to do this on the PC.
    Edge is not the same as Ev-DO, but it's roughly parallel. Some quick research here would clear this up.

As for syncing with the Mac, I have to begrudgingly recommend Missing Sync. Though it was hard to yak up $40 for software that by any account should come with the device, it beats Palm's own HotSync software soundly. It offers conduit presets, Bluetooth "reverse DUN", plugins for iTunes and iPhoto, and more, and it fully replaces the software from Palm. I'd recommend not even installing the Palm software if you use iSync with Address Book and iCal already.

You can certainly sync via Bluetooth or USB. With Missing Sync, you can also sync over the network. However, because the 650 lacks Wi-fi, you'll have to go over the Internet using your wireless broadband service, which means your Mac will need a public IP address. If the Mac is behind a firewall, you'll the appropriate ports forwarded. The Missing Sync documentation sketches out the details, and it can be made to work, but you may find this arrangement less than ideal.

Overall, in any case, my 650 and my Powerbook get along swimmingly. In fact, I had to rely on some Bluetooth DUN tonight, as my cable modem was down. It's incredibly easy to set up. And the data service is plenty snappy.
    Last edited by thornrag; 12/15/2004 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Well, sprint or verizon. Whichever.
  9.    #9  
    Are you on Sprint?