1.    #1  
    I'm upgrading to the Treo 600 soon, I read several posts about guys in the medical field using it as a pager besides the phone/PDA function. I'm a medical resident so my hospital gave me a pager, how can I setup my Treo to replace my hospital pager?
    I'm not sure about your carrier, but with Verizon, the end of a voice mail message gives the caller the option to leave a numeric message. This comes in as a TXT message.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. but I was actually asking if I can setup the Treo so that I can use it instead of my official pager issued by the hospital, this means people can page me from inside the hospital system itself using my current pager #, but the message gets delivered to the Treo instead of the pager.
    Right. That's what would happen (again, I'm talking about Verizon).

Someone calls your phone number (that your Treo is assigned to). If it's not answered (your choice, and you can use programs like CallFilter to send calls from unknown callers, or certain known callers, or any number of rules directly to voice mail.

The caller gets a message (default or your personal). "To leave a callback number, press 5". The person pressed 5 and is prompted to enter a phone number. After they enter it, there's a promot to verify. Once it is verified, it will be sent.

Then you get a text message on your Treo telling to "Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx".

Once at the text message, you can select the phone number and dial directly.

So not quite as simple as a "normal" pager, but with the added features that the Treo brings, it serves it's purpose and much more.

Just port your pager # to your Treo (if you can). If not, you'll have to give out your new pager number.
    Quote Originally Posted by ledo1611
    Thanks for the reply. but I was actually asking if I can setup the Treo so that I can use it instead of my official pager issued by the hospital, this means people can page me from inside the hospital system itself using my current pager #, but the message gets delivered to the Treo instead of the pager.
    Ledo - Right...call the pager number and have the signal hit your pager and your Treo, correct? Do a search on this topic whereas I've seen it covered before. I seem to recall a simplisitic solution but it did involve a certain kind of pager service with forwarding capabilities however. Not sure if all the planets will be aligned for you. Good luck.
    Don't most hospitals have strict rules about not having mobile phones on?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Cell phone signals do not penetrate buildings as well as pager signals (different frequencies). If you need a bulletproof reliable page, you need a pager. There is another thread on this subject--do a search.
    Ledo,
    It can be done. I work as a physician in an office and in a major academic hospital. It depends on the flexibility of the telecommunications dept. at your hospital and how strict they are about using your cell in the hospital. The truth is most of the interference issues are bogus--you have to have your phone within 3" of a telemetry monitor and it ususally just causes minor hiccups and that's usually only if it's on a call. Nevertheless, I've opted to use CallFilter to send most calls to voicemail, so my phone generally won't ring when I'm in the hospital and no one notices or seems to care that I'm using my phone to receive pages. But I allow SMS text messages to come through. What happens is you have to provide the paging service with certain "gateway codes" to indicate that when the paging modem sends a page out to you it is reconfigured as a text message (SMS), which you then receive on your phone. You need to contact your cell service about these codes. It may take a lot of talking to supervisors before you find someone with a clue (it took me an hour with Sprint before I found someone who knew what they were). In my experience in a big hospital, the reception is generally fine, though there some areas where the pager radio reception is better, and no doubt different cities have different coverage. Also, one advantage is that if you phone is off or out of range, you never miss a page--you simply receive it when the phone is back on/in range.

I know that this works for Sprint and for Verizon. Certainly a lot of hosptials are moving to include PalmOS devices in their medical technology, and this will ultimately be converging with cell phone devices, so one should expect a refinement in allowing cellphones to be used in hospitals as demand for the benefits exceeds the bogus concerns.

I hope that helps, since no one else seemed to understand what you were talking about. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by TreoTheo; 12/11/2004 at 12:40 AM.
    TheoTreo - can you share with us the Sprint codes?
    TreoTheo, thanks for the insight. I never knew the T600 could be set up this way. I'll have to call Sprint and get the codes because this could come in handy for me sometimes.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?