Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My mom washed my jeans. My jeans had my Treo 600 in the pocket. My brother heard the banging in the dryer.

I left it off for 4 days, charged it and it WORKED!!!

The screen has some damage, but overall I'd say its at 80% health.

It serves as a handy backup for my Treo 650, and I will keep it as people are amazed at how well it works for a phone that went through a complete wash cycle (warm water, medium load, Tide) and 10 minutes in the dryer (perma press setting).

Give yours time it might come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Well, I saw you needed help, so I rushed out to my DeLorean and prepped to head back and convince you to get the insurance at the time of purchase, but unfortunately I dropped my flux capacitor in the kitchen sink last week. Seriously, how are we supposed to help? I don't know, but it seems like every week another thread like this pops up, so seriously, I'm gonna help future "mishap-havers" right now. If you don't have insurance on your SIX HUNDRED dollar PDA/phone, get off this site, pick up a phone and call your carrier to add it...RIGHT NOW!!!! It is simply assinine not to.
    Thanks DrDoom, I bet you never did anything in your life you didn't regret, or is it just that you didn't do anything in your life you didn't regret that you admitted to a message board, allowing annoyed holier-than-thou posters to express their irritation at your freedom to post a message on THEIR board? How rude!

You know what, I have gotten some useful suggestions from this thread. I also hoped people would appreciate the humor at finding yet another way to destroy a nice product. What's wrong with us laughing a little?

Anyway, thanks to others in this thread, but not you. Well, I guess I did appreciate your DeLorean joke.

BTW, the silica seems to be very slowly drying the moisture under the screen, but it ain't fast. It should be a few more days before I open the tupperware to take it out.
    OK, so I removed the phone from the tupperware container, and sure enough there have been improvements. All the buttons now work. The phone is in perfect working condition, except now the backlight won't come on!

Has this happened to anyone? Is this something that Palm and or Sprint will fix if I send it back to them? I would be willing to pay. Would it require a whole new screen? Could someone else fix it?

I obviously have many questions. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Did you buy the Treo with a credit card? Many credit cards cover lost or damaged items purchased within the last 90 days. That's another honest option that you can look into.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj
    OK, so I removed the phone from the tupperware container, and sure enough there have been improvements. All the buttons now work. The phone is in perfect working condition, except now the backlight won't come on!

Has this happened to anyone? Is this something that Palm and or Sprint will fix if I send it back to them? I would be willing to pay. Would it require a whole new screen? Could someone else fix it?

I obviously have many questions. Any ideas?
    Well I am glad to here that it is working a bit. I would go into Sprint and tell them the "backlight quit working". Nothing more nothing less.
    I had a thought....what about using a rack for your clothes dryer (mine came with one for shoes and such) and running the dryer on low to medium heat. I would think that would help to evaporate the water very well.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    While the Silica is a good idea, it is more than likely not going to get rid of all the water.
    You have another concern here. You also need to worry about oxidation on the printed boards, solder points, and IC pin-outs.
    That, and the Silica gel will only absorb so much moisture. I use a large Silica pack in my camera case. When it has absorbed all it can, the beads turn pink. I recharge them by putting the pack into the oven at 300 degrees for a couple hours. This pack is encased in metal tho- not the fabric things you are using.
    As much as you dont want to do it, you are going to have to get some torx drivers, pop the case open and do it right.
    If you dont feel comfortable with that, start calling around. Someone out there will do it for you.
    Hell if you were near Denver, I'd do it for you. It wouldn't be the first time.
    --Tim
    If you used the right visa card, probably one of the platinums. There is a 90 day purchase assurance wich will cover theft, and damage by rain(close to dropping in the sink??) lightning, ect. Further more you can purchase a 4 year extended warranty for about $60 thru them. I have not purchased my treo yet, but I will make a point of using my visa when I do, and will ask cingular to apply the rebate to my bills so the reciept represents the true cost of replacing my phone. Hope you find this information useful.
    Sprint says I have to sign up for phone insurance within 30 days of activation?
    I've had my phone for 3 months. Any way to get Sprint insurance now?
    Does anyone know for sure that if Treo 650 becomes damaged from liquid and has not worked for about two weeks now, is it possible for a "computer-engineer-goo-roo-tech" to be able to somehow retrieve data from the Treo? Need to know. Thanks
    I have heard of other people on this forum taking apart their Treo's and drying everything out with a hairdryer and breathing life back into the Treo. Did you try anything like this?
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    If it has been off for over two weeks then I would have to say the answer is no.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    If it has been off for over two weeks then I would have to say the answer is no.
    Not so sure -- moisture can stay trapped inside for a long time --- I would give the hair dryer a try -- I fixed our TV this way (with a Q-Tip, as well) after the cat vomitted down the air vents onto the circuit board.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelOne
    Does anyone know for sure that if Treo 650 becomes damaged from liquid and has not worked for about two weeks now, is it possible for a "computer-engineer-goo-roo-tech" to be able to somehow retrieve data from the Treo? Need to know. Thanks
    The short answer is yes, it's probably technically possible, but not economically feasible. The data on the Treo 650 is stored in Flash memory which is (for all intents and purposes) non-volitle. So even if the Treo is dead, your information is quite likely intact on the memory chip itself. Theoretically, someone could remove the memory chip (or chips) and put them in another Treo, and or read them with another device to recover your data. Most likely, however, the memory is soldered in, so it probably won't be as simple as opening the treo and popping out a chip and dropping it into another one.

The company I normally recommend for data recovery is Ontrack (www.ontrack.com). I've never used them for something like this, but hopefully they can point you in the right direction if they are unable to do it for you. Keep in mind, however, that their quotes are in the thousands of dollars and can go as high as $20,000 or worse. Unfortunatly, in a lot of cases, data simply isn't worth that much.

HTH,
    Brett
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS

HTH,
    Brett
    Isn't HTH the maker of the treo? Or is this Happy To
    Help?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Actually, I was always under the impression that HTH was Hope This Helps. Hmm... I dunno now.

Brett
    Take your Treo apart. Use a q-tip to clean everything inside. Use a hairdryer on Warm to continue drying it out. Put it in a box with Silica Gel and leave it in direct sunlight for a few hours each day.

I dried out a friend's Treo this way and brought it back to life. It had water under the screen and it was completely evaporated and came back to life a week later.

What happened to yours? Did you pop the battery out right when it got water damaged?
  18.    #118  
    I posted a thread awhile ago about reviving your treo.

If you drop your phone in the water, please do yourself a favor. Take a tupperware container, and a packet of Silica Gel and place your treo in with the Silica Gel. The Silica Gel will absorb any moisture in the phone. Make sure you seal the container, and do not open for a day or so. It has happened to multiple fraternity brothers of mine, and it works.
    And there you have it folks...problem solved. Almost.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I'm a computer engineer so I'll give you my take on the subject:

These Treos are very complex systems with many segments of micro electronics that can be damaged by very small shorts. Small shorts can be created by moderate to extreme moisture, and yes, this does include pure water.

In some cases, the water may be shorting a capacitor who's main job is to complete a timing circuit or it may be as simple as to balance capacitance in the line and help a square wave look less than a sine wave. One little shorted capacitor may not be enough to eternally render your treo lifeless even after the moisture has dried, but it may be enough to render it useless while the moisture is still present.

However, you may have bigger problems. The short may be across a resistor network that limits the amount of current just before it enters a main chip. This can blow the IC and permentely render the Treo garbage even after the moisture is removed.

Either way, before you surrender your Treo to circuit heaven, make sure the treo is completely dried. You may be lucky and find that the reason your Treo didn't boot is a simple beign reason such as the capacitor example I gave above.

Ohh, and PS - I would not use a hairdryer to dry the circuits. Let the Treo dry naturally.

Good luck.
    Last edited by hexed; 05/16/2005 at 06:35 PM.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast