Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj

Brand new, less than a month old...no insurance, of course.

So it dropped right into a pan with some water in it. The Treo was actually under water for a split second, and it's not working so well. Initially, everything was working, but not surprisingly, things started going a bit wonky. We turned it off and dried it as best we could with the cool setting on a hair dryer. The backlight was working last night but is not working tonight. The touch screen works some of the time but not all of the time. There is also some water underneath the screen. Sometimes the keys are not working, but sometimes they work after a soft reset.

Any ideas for fixing it any further? I'm not really expecting much at this point.

Does anyone also have an idea how I might be able to work with Sprint to get a replacement of some kind without paying for a whole other phone? Also, does anyone think it would be of use to have Palm try and repair it?

Thanks. (Sigh.)
    The screen blanking plus the water underneath it are bad. If it was on when it took a dive, it may be lost. If it were off, and you hadn't turned it on, there would be a better chance to save it. Most important thing right now is quit turning it on, let it thoroughly dry out!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The screen blanking plus the water underneath it are bad. If it was on when it took a dive, it may be lost. If it were off, and you hadn't turned it on, there would be a better chance to save it. Most important thing right now is quit turning it on, let it thoroughly dry out!!!
    There was also a mention of removing the battery, and putting it in to a tupperware with some of the silica stuff. Seall it in the tupperware let sit for 1-2 weeks then give it a whirl. Just a reminder that insurance and/or store warranty policies are "A good thing".
    Ygpm
    Take out the battery. Let it dry for a few days. If is still doesn't work, then take it back to Sprint. You might get lucky, as if it's completely dry and doesn't work, , and you don't tell them about the wather, it might appear to them that it just "stopped working."

Unethical? Probably. But you'll decide what's best.
    First off, it was on when it fell into the pan. I was taking a self portrait of my girlfriend and myself. I was also not in the best situation for preserving it, in that I had to dry it quickly and take a 2 hour drive. So I was not able to attend to it as carefully as I might have liked.

It couldn't bring it back to sprint and pretend it didn't go under water because there is clearly water under the screen. In some places it has dried, but it left a residue. No deal there.

The backlight was working last night. I let it dry all night, and now no backlight.

Interestingly enough, the phone is still working.
    Also, if it comes to buying a new one, I probably will do it. This time, I would get insurance. Do you guys know what insurance options Sprint or Palm provide for the 650 and how much they might cost?
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/sh...mentProtection

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...ction-how.html

Just tell them it stopped working and you don't know why.
    Also, if it comes to buying a new one, I probably will do it. This time, I would get insurance. Do you guys know what insurance options Sprint or Palm provide for the 650 and how much they might cost?
    Sprint offers insurance through Lockline for $5/mo with a $50 deductable.

It's well worth it because they cover everything, even liquid damage. You'll most likely get a refurb. I believe it's good for two replacements a year.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You've got nothing to lose...I'd take it back to sprint and not mention the whole sink incident unless they specifically ask about the screen. I am with ATTWS/Cingular and I am having my Treo 650 replaced by P1 under warranty. They have a plan that for $25.00 they send you a new phone in advance versus having to mail yours in first. Not sure if you have the same option with a Sprint phone but it might be worth looking into. My new Treo will here tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    There is a 30 day waiting period after you add the Total Equipment Protection because of fraud.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    There is a 30 day waiting period after you add the Total Equipment Protection because of fraud.

Joe
    Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I just wouldn't feel right about it.
    Also, I assume there's no program in which you can by a refurb if your phone breaks, right?
    Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I just wouldn't feel right about it.
    GOOD FOR YOU! GOOD MAN!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Also, I assume there's no program in which you can by a refurb if your phone breaks, right?
    eBay??

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    There was also a mention of removing the battery, and putting it in to a tupperware with some of the silica stuff. Seall it in the tupperware let sit for 1-2 weeks then give it a whirl. Just a reminder that insurance and/or store warranty policies are "A good thing".
    I wouldn't give up on your phone just yet. NRG made some good points. Look up the thread NRG mentioned and follow the steps to the T. You may just bring your phone back.
    Straight up trade you for a new pm-325 with bluetooth. Better than a kick in the behind.
    Did you pay with a credit card? Some cards have 90-day insurance.
    Since you will not try to get it replaced by Sprint, would you consider opening it up to help it dry faster? I am a TOTAL clutz, yet even I was still able to change a couple of cracked screens on my old Palms without causing noticable damage.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    FYI:Most phones have a water mark feature inside them that let techs know if it was submerged under water or not. I am not sure if the Treo has this or not.
    Well, I've gone the silica and tupperware route. I just went to a shoestore and the owner was kind enough to drop me several silica packets. I'm not expecting much at this point. It's been almost a day, and the backlight still won't turn on, among other ailments. I'll update later.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast