Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I'd be surprised if one silica pack works, but go ahead and try it. I would recommend putting a few in. Also, once the packets are exposed to air, they will absorb humidity for the air. Getting them new is probably the best way... (you may be able to get it from a chemical supply shop... also called dryrite (or something like that))

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    WHERE TO GET SILICA PACK...
    I worked at Payless Shoes several years ago and spent many hours pulling paper and those gel packs out of shoeboxes before putting them on the shelves. Just go to your local Payless Shoes and ask. Chances are they'll have lots of 'em in the back room on shipment day.
    While riding with her husband one of my employees set her new 650 on the car's center console. He puts on the brakes and the 650 skids across the console in into her jumbo draft beer sitting in the cup holder. This was several days ago. I suggested she just let the insurance replace it. She thinks she waived the insurance.

Other than laugh at her, does anyone have any constructive recommendations as how to proceed?
    Yeah,
    Don't drink and drive.
    In her case it was "Drink and Ride". Her husband was driving.

Was it Dean Martin who said "When you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt"?

Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Yeah,
    Don't drink and drive.
    I learned the cup holder care long ago. I put my 650 in it one time and it had condenstation water in the bottom. The bottom of the phone was wet, but thank goodness never stopped working, don't do that anymore.
    get the underwater dive case for the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    While riding with her husband one of my employees set her new 650 on the car's center console. He puts on the brakes and the 650 skids across the console in into her jumbo draft beer sitting in the cup holder. This was several days ago. I suggested she just let the insurance replace it. She thinks she waived the insurance.

Other than laugh at her, does anyone have any constructive recommendations as how to proceed?
    The fact that you even posted this seems purely for our entertainment. But, since I HAVE f'ed mine up before (600 version) when I dropped it on the damn bathroom floor and broke the screen, I CAN relate.

My advice, if she didnt get the insurance, she will now. But the real advice is this, be more careful next time!

Also, I am not even sure these days if a passenger can drink - certainly not advised.
    How does one acquire this insurance? I've seen everyone talk about it but it wasn't an option when I bought my 650.

Tom
    you get it from sprint...

i had a user of mine spill a drink on his treo once at a bar- it still worked but was very sticky and we just replaced it anyway... when you water damage a phone they dont want it back so you're free to take it apart and gaze at the internals- and if you break the screen on your newish one, you just take it apart and swap with the water damaged one- as long as the screen still worked of course
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    How does one acquire this insurance? I've seen everyone talk about it but it wasn't an option when I bought my 650.

Tom
    Just in case, you may want to check your bill and see if you're being charged for it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

Just laugh, dont recommend anything... Who drives around with a "jumbo" beer in their cupholder without any sort of top on it?

Who drives around with a *cup* of beer in their car anyway? I recommend she stick to cans or bottles.
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 01/27/2005 at 10:25 AM.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    there was and thread on here about drying a phone out. search on the forums for "tupperware" and you should find it. good luck

Response from Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Just laugh, dont recommend anything... Who the F*ck drives around with a "jumbo" beer in their cupholder without any sort of top on it?

Who the F*ck drives around with a *cup* of beer in their car anyway? I recommend she stick to cans or bottles.
    This was EXACTLY what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This was EXACTLY what I was thinking!
    I am still flabbergasted by this post .. Not only was it BEER (which i'm pretty sure almost all states now have a NO open alcohol container in the vehicle law meaning even the passenger can not be drinking). But it was an OPEN cup ?

I can not remember the last time I saw ANYONE put a "cup" of something in a "cup holder" that did not include a lid. Who uses open ended cups in a car ? Answer those looking to destroy their stereo, upholstry and clothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    there was and thread on here about drying a phone out. search on the forums for "tupperware" and you should find it. good luck
    Yeah, tell her to put the beer soaked Treo in the tupperware container, add postage, then ship it as far away from her house as possible and never get another Treo again because she's not smart enough to own one. heh

Some homeowner's/personal property insurance policies will cover things like that. However I'd recommended that in her claim she substitute "beer" with "Diet Coke".
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Focussing on the violation of open container laws, though prudent, ignores the potential benefits of this situation. Perhaps the owner can take advantage of the 650 in its inebriated state. We all know the 650 is a bit of prude, holding out on us, perhaps intuitively sensing our fear of commitment. This is the perfect opportunity to seduce her. How 'bout a little DUN, baby? C'mon, you know you want to. Okay, we can start slow. [Slides Al Green CD into player]. It's hot in here, let's just loosen up that 'P' key a little. There, isn't that better? You're so pretty. That dial delay was cute foreplay, but let's get to it. You know I want some bluetooth, baby. Talk to all my devices at close range. Gimme all the handsfree and headset profiles, ooh, that's nice. Now let's hotsync with no soft resets, there we go. Talk to me, let hear some sweet sound quality on the other end, okay? All the other smartphones are doing it. Here, have some more beer. What's with the frantic flashing LED, baby, where's the fire? No need to worry, you're safe with me. Let's forget about the past, no memory problems between us.... I don't know, this has never happened to me before. I just need a hard reset, that's all. What, you're seeing someone else? Tell me who it is. Shadowmite!?!
    The Treo 650 gives great stylus. Don't foget to use a screen protector.
    actually i believe in vegas you can have an open container as long as you are not the driver and you are, of course, of age.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast