1.    #1  
    I've had my 600 for 8 mos (on 4th unit) im curious if the 600 or 650 had more problems when first released.
    My 650 has more problems than the 600. But I love the 650 alot more.
    Would never go back
    It is too early to compare.

The TREO 600 was a total disaster - PalmOne itself called it "epidemic failure".

The TREO 650 has "been out" for, what?, a week or two and is ONLY available for Sprint. WHen it is generally available and the legions of wide-spread betatesters put it through its hoops, THEN you can compare and see if the TREO 650 also suffers from epidemic failures.
    "Total Disaster"? "Epidemic failure"? Hardly.

I've had my Verizon CDMA Treo 600 for a little over four months. Since then, the only problem I have had is with Verizon not offering a competitive data plan.

As it stands now, if Verizon offered the 650 and offered to swap it out free of charge, I'm not sure I would trade my 600. Sure an improved screen, improved camera, and bluetooth (if not crippled) would be nice, but until Palm One sorts out the memory issues, I won't even consider it. And then there's the removable battery. Charging and syncing really isn't an issue for me, so non-volatile memory (esp. with Backup Buddy VFS) and a removable battery aren't very high on my list of features.

p.s. - could you provide a link to where someone from Palm One is quoted as calling the 600 an "epidemic failure"?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    "Total Disaster"? "Epidemic failure"? Hardly.

p.s. - could you provide a link to where someone from Palm One is quoted as calling the 600 an "epidemic failure"?
    SeldomVisitor infers that label from a liberal (mis)reading of the Company's annual report...

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...69&postcount=3
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/01/2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Aside from some problems with the peripherals ( i.e. camera, audio extras ) I have found it's basic functions as phone, PIM and web browser/email checker to be outstanding. Certainly a huge improvement over my old Treo 300 which was a major nightmare to sync. However, I am a bit disturbed by Palm's willingness to release works in process to the general public.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i have had my t600 for close to a year with absolutely no problems. i do plan on getting a t650.
    morris stalk
    It really doesn't matter what individual users have to say about their personal TREO 600s' failure rate - it is sufficient that PalmOne called the aggregate an "epidemic failure" rate and that they exceeded that "in some cases" (where "some" is "5 out of 6"?...).
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    It really doesn't matter what individual users have to say about their personal TREO 600s' failure rate - it is sufficient that PalmOne called the aggregate an "epidemic failure" rate and that they exceeded that "in some cases" (where "some" is "5 out of 6"?...).
    From the link quoted earlier:

PalmOne says:

== "...In addition, certain of our contracts with wireless carriers include
    == epidemic failure clauses with low thresholds that we have in some
    == instances exceeded..."

How is that the aggregate? Aggregate is the total of all the parts, whereas the quote above distinctly singles out 'certain of our contracts".

It also speaks of 'epidemic failure clauses with low thresholds that we have in some instances exceeded'. It does not mention overall failure rates anywhere.
    Yes, that is correct.

PalmOne TREO 600s had an epidemic failure rate, so much so that contract clauses were triggered in a number of cases.

Exactly correct - and PalmOne's own words.

As my original response up there says about the TREO 650 - there hasn't been enough time to compare ITS failure rate to the disaster known as TREO 600. Wait a month or two, THEN compare.

Because, whether you cheerleaders like it or not, triggering that beautifully named Epidemic Failure Clause (bet Marketing had a fit post-facto! HA HA HA!) is a disaster that WILL come back to haunt PalmOne since they MUST account for returns eventually.
    Have my Sprint T600 for over a year with no problems and not once required to do a hard reset. And I didn't do the last upgrade that cause problems for many.
    E-mails are great (InBox to Go)
    Web surfing is great.
    PIM is great
    eReader is great
    Docs to Go is great

No need for me to spend $'s now to move to T650
    "epidemic failure clause" != "epidemic failure rate"
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    "epidemic failure clause" != "epidemic failure rate"
    I doubt your point will be noticed.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Yes, that is correct.

PalmOne TREO 600s had an epidemic failure rate, so much so that contract clauses were triggered in a number of cases.

Exactly correct - and PalmOne's own words.
    Note that YOU have erroneously translated the official statement that

**Treo 600 was considered an epidemic failure in SOME cases**

to

**the aggregate of all Treo 600s WAS an epidemic failure that only SOMETIMES triggered epidemic failure clauses.**

When it didn't trigger those clauses, Treo 600 WAS NOT an epidemic failure, by PalmOne's definition. Clearly, the condition of epidemic failure was the exception, not the rule.

PalmOne never called the Treo 600 an "epidemic failure," nor was it a "total disaster" by anyone's definition... not according to the majority of delighted users, nor to the carriers who have ordered a million Treo600s and used them to lock in high-end customers into lucrative data/voice contracts, and certainly not to PLMO shareholders who have been laughing all the way to the bank. Win-win-win by anyone's definition.
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/01/2004 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I don't understand these people who have gone through 4 to 5 Treo 600s. Do they constantly drop them? Throw them against a wall? Drop it in the toilet? I've had my 600 for almost a year and I have yet to have mechanical problems with it!
  17.    #17  
    ill tell you how I went thru 3 treos (i never dropped one)
    1st one... dead ear speaker
    2nd.... slightest bump or jar would cause a reset.
    3rd.... touchscreen not working for entire screen.
    So as u see...poor QC & build of t600s in my experience. my 4th has been doing fairly well for 4 mos now.
    I also had T600 for two years without switching out but I lived with the following: no earpiece only speaker phone, soft resets at least once a day, bad connection to Sprint Network during storms. I know it was my phone since I kept Cingular cany bar Nokia for backup and it always worked fine in any condition.

The 650 is causing me joy and only a little pain. I synced finally for the first time after using for four days-I had to go in and check off USB cable to get it to work--the TC board help me figure that one out and did not need to do a reinstall.

Now 650 has done several soft resets on its own and the last one did not reconnect and I missed several emails at lunch since I did not know phone was not on. Any idea why so many resets after the first sync. Also scrary to see I have 2.2M left and only 3rd party app is Spring PCS. I need to get Zap, Splash and other apps wasting space off--how do you delete these to get more space? Help on these two issues appreciated. Larryd@gateel.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann
    I also had T600 for two years without switching out

Uh, Larry, the T 600 was released to the public in early October, 2003. I actually received one of the first to be sold through the Business site (and I still have the same one, by the way.)

How have you had one for TWO years?
    http://www.doctordalai.com