1.    #1  
    Here is a What if...?

I was wondering what would Palm be like if Apple decided to buy Palm back in 1998, when they had a strong desire to purchase Palm from 3Com but was turned away. Palm eventually split to form its' own entity and to what is is today. Also what would Apple be like if they bought Palm when they had the chance?

What kind of speculation people would come up with if it happened? Would the handheld business be any different? Would the Treo be running on OS X? Would Apple kill the business all together like the Newton? Or would their be even cooler (even cooler than the Treo 650) gadgets coming from Apple, one of the most innovative companies now?

What does everybody think?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    The 600 would have had BlueTooth!
    Probably no camera.
    QC issues would be non-existent.
    Nobody would have information regarding prototypes.
    WIFI would always be an issue.
    The 600/650 form factor might be totally different.
    More memory AND different memory architecture.
    People would be having problems syncing with PCs instead of Macs.
    There may be far fewer 3rd party apps available.
    The whole line of handhelds might be more expensive.
    They'd all be available in cool colors.
    Customer support would be better (more consistent, maybe - I've gotten good service)
    The handheld line would probably be more limited (not so many models). One low end, one upper end, and one phone.
    We could speculate to infinity on this one. I'll take the status quo since I like the 600 and am looking forward to getting my 650...
    Vince
    Remember when Apple had the Newton out and it had a graffiti type application? it is not too far off to think of a way to utilize the iPod mini and give it the radio chipsets, keyboard, and all of a sudden you have the true killer device.
    They are one or two generations away from throwing a cell radio in an iPod mini and taking the smartphone market.
    What if... well it would be great, but.
    Apple has NO intentions of entering the handheld market for them it's all about music (iPod's) now. Even if they did they wouldn't want Palm. Apple's hardware design would smoke anything Palm could ever do, and they (Apple) still owns the Newton OS which still far superior to Palm OS 5.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Here is the mockup I was thinking of. http://forums.mobileburn.com/attachm...tachmentid=722
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    The 600 would have had BlueTooth!
    Probably no camera.
    I don't know about that. Who do you think created the first digital camera? Apple! Remember the QuickTake 100 back in 1993.

QC issues would be non-existent.
    Nobody would have information regarding prototypes.
    WIFI would always be an issue.
    Apple was the first manufacturer to include wi-fi in its products.

The 600/650 form factor might be totally different.
    More memory AND different memory architecture.
    People would be having problems syncing with PCs instead of Macs.
    HAHAHA! Probably true for awhile.
    But look at all of Apple's products that are completely compatible with Windows:
    iPod,
    iPod mini,
    iPod hp,
    iPod photo,
    20 inch Cinema Display,
    23 inch Cinema HD Display,
    Airport Extreme,
    Airport Express,
    XServe RAID,
    WebObjects,
    FilemakerPro,
    iTunes,
    QuickTime,
    QuickTime Pro,
    heck even .Mac service is available for Windoze users. Probably more I cannot think of right now.

There may be far fewer 3rd party apps available.
    The whole line of handhelds might be more expensive.
    They'd all be available in cool colors.
    Customer support would be better (more consistent, maybe - I've gotten good service)
    The handheld line would probably be more limited (not so many models). One low end, one upper end, and one phone.
    We could speculate to infinity on this one. I'll take the status quo since I like the 600 and am looking forward to getting my 650...
    Vince
    It is an interesting thought, but Steve and Apple will be going down this route on their own at this stage in the game.
    AppleWorks (who cares, I know...) and Logic Pro were available for Windows for awhile. Not sure if they still are though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Here is the mockup I was thinking of. http://forums.mobileburn.com/attachm...tachmentid=722
    Yeah, I've seen that before too. Apple would probably go VoIP initially and then build experience before entering into any carrier partnerships. But, that is a huge IF. I cannot possibly speculate on this.
    I think this is something that would pull Apple more mainstream. I am not an Apple person but have a lot of respect for their products. I think they could come up with a cool product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    Here is a What if...?

I was wondering what would Palm be like if Apple decided to buy Palm back in 1998, when they had a strong desire to purchase Palm from 3Com but was turned away. Palm eventually split to form its' own entity and to what is is today. Also what would Apple be like if they bought Palm when they had the chance?

What kind of speculation people would come up with if it happened? Would the handheld business be any different? Would the Treo be running on OS X? Would Apple kill the business all together like the Newton? Or would their be even cooler (even cooler than the Treo 650) gadgets coming from Apple, one of the most innovative companies now?

What does everybody think?
    Whooo Hoooo, I could get a BLACK Treo650 with RED keyboard buttons with Bono,The Edge, Adam Clayton's and Larry Mullen's signatures on the back, now we are talking...I bet the Apple Treo650 would intergrate with the Mac's very well too..
  12.    #12  
    Another thing Apple would NOT do is put 32mb memory in a second generation Treo. :P
    Imageone, Steve Jobs said they had no intention of making an ipod be able to play pictures or viddeo either and 2 months later they had the ipod which plays pictures and has a color screen, how do you know what they are or are not going to make in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Imageone, Steve Jobs said they had no intention of making an ipod be able to play pictures or viddeo either and 2 months later they had the ipod which plays pictures and has a color screen, how do you know what they are or are not going to make in the future?

true on the photo iPod, and I don't care what Steve said I think video on the iPod will be next. I just don't think Apple will do a handheld.

I know they have thought of a iPhone in the pasted, but the market is way to competitive. If you didn't already know just try going to http://www.iphone.org
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    tPod 650?