1.    #1  
    Why Sprint's 650 over waiting a few months and getting the GSM version?

I currently have a crappy Sprint phone and I'm definitely going to get a 650, but I keep hearing from loads of people that I should wait for the GSM:

Mainly because of EDGE, plus being able to call from anywhere in the world.

Is those the only reasons I should wait, or should I join the bandwagon and buy one right now!

What does everyone think?

Thanks
    The reasons you stated are true (although you can use CDMA from many countries around the world also), but it comes down to how impatient you are. Can you wait until next year or not? Most people on these boards are gadget nuts and cannot wait. I'm one myself.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    ill wait..... find an unlocked one, pop in my att sim and there you go.
    Ive got more Guns than you.
    Do you actually do a lot of international travel that also requires you to use your personal phone instead of renting one for next to nothing? I never understood all the peeps that talk about how versatile GSM is since it's so popular world wide. Yes, some take advantage of that, but the vast majority probably don't.

GSM is on the way out (just ask Cingular's own engineers in ATL); CDMA is huge in Asia and getting started in Europe. No comparison (IMO) in voice or data quality, and Sprint's already got the answer to EDGE running as test in a few cities. As someone who puts a lot of data through a Sprint Sanyo 5500 (VM4500) and a Cingular Treo 600 (work phone), I can tell you there is no comparison between the two -- in my experience (in my market), Sprint is head and shoulders above any GSM carrier. That said, I do wish Sprint supported SIM cards to facilitiate provisioning of new phones and have the ability to have a different phone for different purposes....
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-chris
    Do you actually do a lot of international travel that also requires you to use your personal phone instead of renting one for next to nothing?
    That's precisely why I went with GSM. I took a lot of trips to Europe during the last few years, and wanted my phone to work there. Can you recommend a way to do a "next to nothing" rental without a lot of hassle?
    GSM is on the way out (just ask Cingular's own engineers in ATL); CDMA is huge in Asia and getting started in Europe.
    Isn't Europe's W-CDMA protocol incompatible with Sprint's CDMA protocol?
    That said, I do wish Sprint supported SIM cards to facilitiate provisioning of new phones and have the ability to have a different phone for different purposes....
    And for my part, now that I'm going to Europe less often, I'm wondering whether to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint so that I'll have a phone that works on the Washington Metro trains. (Thus my question about hassle-free rental was serious, not rhetorical.)
    You need to decide what give you the most features you want and the best coverage in your area. This is easy for me. GSM is the only way to go. Only two other countries with CDMA and that is Japan and South or North Korea. I travel a great deal and to have quad band GSM is unmatchable. I can use my Treo in any other countries. Cingular/ATT is now the largest cellular provider in North America. I currently have SPrint 330i, a Treo 600 that has been both Cingular and T-Mobile. Cingular far outshines Sprint here. Especially if you depend on data and messaging. And if your read the boards there is many issues with Sprint 600's and 650's including deal breaker for me, poor battery life, and alredy complaints of battery life on 650 for Sprint users. Do a search on Sprint Vision, SPrint SMS or customer service and I think you will get your answers more clearly. For me, GSM is the way to go, even if I have to wait for my phone. I will give Sprint the faster data for now (when it works), we will see after EDGE is enbled on 650. Everyone has their own needs.
    I say buy now. You never know when and how long it will take
    Plus sprint has a cheaper vision package