1.    #1  
    with all this talk about P1 using other OS's, I was wondering what TCers think.

I thought it might be time to revisit the age old debate? which OS is best and why: Palm garnet, cobalt, windows mobile 2003/5, symbian, linux?

I am planning on writing a series of extensive articles on various topics related to palmone, bringing together many sources. And as such I definitely want to consider TC users.

so u experts on the above OSes please weigh in on them:

as a user what do u like/dislike about them?

as a sofware developer what do u like/dislike about them?

as a device maker what would u like/dislike about them?

thanks in advance.
  2.    #2  
    with all this talk about P1 using other OS's, I was wondering what TCers think.

I thought it might be time to revisit the age old debate? which OS is best and why: Palm garnet, cobalt, windows mobile 2003/5, symbian, linux?

I am planning on writing a series of extensive articles on various topics related to palmone, bringing together many sources. And as such I definitely want to consider TC users.

so u experts on the above OSes please weigh in on them:

as a sofware developer what do u like/dislike about them?

as a device maker what would u like/dislike about them?

thanks in advance.
  3.    #3  
    moderators please delete this thread, its a duplicate
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    with all this talk about P1 using other OS's, I was wondering what TCers think.....

thanks in advance.
    I came to the Treo from Palm III Palm Vx, Palm Vx w/ Omnisky. I chose Treo because it conserved my learning time and some of my applications. I will stay w/ Treo until something else demonstrates a sufficient advantage to justify reprogramming of the wetware.
    moderators please delete this thread, its a duplicate
    thanks
    Perhaps, the lead question is a duplicate but the title is not and raises a different question.

As a user, I do not want P1 to abandon me again. It is bad enough that they keep changing connectors and breaking old applications. Please do not orphan the Palm OS.

On the other hand, if P1 resources are sufficient to support a second operating system, so much the better.
    I would be a little worried if I were a Palm developer.

PalmSource just made Jean Louis Gasse Chairman of the Board. If you know your computer history, you'll remember that he along with John Sculley screwed up Apple, then went to form Be Computing which was a fiasco (bought by Palm no less).

One wonders what political tricks Gasse used to become Chairman of the Board (and what will happen with the Palm OS!)

http://www.palmsource.com/press/2004/110104_board.html

Maybe now is the time for Apple to buy Palm? It has been mentioned in the past:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=549
    If by be computing you mean the makers of BEos then I pray that BEos ends up on palm phones sooner rather than later
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    With all the stoppers and barriers to big business in this country removed, it is inevitable that MS will own the handheld market at some point. You'd like to think they would just buy up Palm and assimilate the OS, but they won't. We'll all be running MS Mobile smartphones at some point and PalmSource will become irrelevant. I would suggest that the developments we've been reading about in the news of late have been a long time in the making. Why else would they separate the HW from the SW ?
    IMHO, give users choices. Make the a platform agnostic to OS. I don't want to have MS as the only choice. I don't believe that MS is the only and best solution. Apparently, that's what Microsoft want's everyone to believe.
    yeah, I find the palm OS far more accesable. The PPC seems too much like a computer (can't stand the today screen) but the list of icons on a palm just make it seem like a phone or a personal organiser, which, as a home user, is what I want.

However the PPC's inteface does make it seem far more powerful... but then so what?
    I mean I'm still using a Palm V and its amazing!!!! All I want is phone capabilites, form factor and the keyboard. Though mp3s, hi res screens and dvd playing abilites are nice :P

Still, the palm V as such a great device, that I'd rather have the palm to some extent over some PPC PDAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yautja_cetanu
    yeah, I find the palm OS far more accesable. The PPC seems too much like a computer (can't stand the today screen) but the list of icons on a palm just make it seem like a phone or a personal organiser, which, as a home user, is what I want.

However the PPC's inteface does make it seem far more powerful... but then so what?
    I mean I'm still using a Palm V and its amazing!!!! All I want is phone capabilites, form factor and the keyboard. Though mp3s, hi res screens and dvd playing abilites are nice :P

Still, the palm V as such a great device, that I'd rather have the palm to some extent over some PPC PDAs.
    Welcome to new millenia. PalmV is dead, get over it.
    And all PDA interface will be today's screen in some format or another. Rest assure Microsoft already patent the darned thing to the kilt.

The reason? Wireless PDA is a connected electronic agent. It supposes to handle all of digital communication. (automatic call filter, SMS/fax/email, interact with network, manage download, PIM, RSS, podcasting) And today's page is the best way to handle it.
    Last edited by suskind; 11/07/2004 at 07:56 PM.
    Supposedly, Cobalt is a fairly trick OS. Problem is, we haven't seen anything using it yet! Personally, I would prefer Gasee would get in bed with some other hardware makers and get some stuff out thats competitive! Personally, I think the treo is the best smart phone out there, and there are just a few things that could make it better. (we all have our specific opinions which things) HOWEVER, what irks me, are the PDA's. They are SO far behind the PPC handhelds. Palm STILL doesn't have a pda with wifi and bluetooth built in.

At the recent Treo 650 unveiling, the head of PalmOne was asked "where's the wifi?" He was noticeably taken aback by the question, and then he was asked the same question several more times! Where are these people? Don't they view the forums, or listen to those that do within their company?

I would prefer to use the Palm OS, perhaps Cobalt over other OS's. I am so tired of Microsoft. I need the Palm OS at present, because it has the best mix of features to work with Mac. And please, don't start about Palm OS not supporting mac. It has been widely distributed, that MarkSpace, and palm themselves will indeed support mac, they are just not building another Palm Desktop for their cobalt and mac.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling PalmOne is more of a stumbling block to advancement than PalmSource. Even though I am suspicious and cautious about Jean Louis.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    Supposedly, Cobalt is a fairly trick OS. Problem is, we haven't seen anything using it yet!

Time will tell, but I have a feeling PalmOne is more of a stumbling block to advancement than PalmSource. Even though I am suspicious and cautious about Jean Louis.
    regarding cobalt, i gathered from P1 @ dallas conference that it's gonna require a major investment from palm (development) in order to bring the OS out on a device. And its more expensive than OS 5 and at this point in time the benefits are limited, in addition P1 has done major development/customization of OS 5 for the treo and tungsten. I got the same impression that Ed gave a few days ago, Cobalt is a long time away . . . if they use it. from one P1 employee "Palmsource has a new OS and no one is using it."

About palmone being a stumbling block to palmsource: well no one else is committed to cobalt either.

I see a major problem with dell, who deals in commodities. They will not ever use palm OS because of palmsources philosophy (which is what P1 currently backs - about 50% of employees are software engineers), which is to create a platform that others can customize and improve. But Dell is not willing to make the Development investment, which makes for more bland devices, but allows them to sell them cheaper.

Often i hear the reason palmone will never use windows mobile is becuase p1 customized devices, yet I recently read an article where HP had customized windows mobile. windows mobile is a familiar format, i could see palmone's dpad features being ported or customized for windows mobile. Would i like it? I'm not sure.

Palmsource is confusing me too. They originally said cobalt would be for pda, while garnet would be for smartphone (i actually think they were telling us what palmone may do). Because now they come out and say cobalt 6.1? is for smartphones . . . ? I ask p1 about this and they said palmsource always had cobalt in mind for smartphones.

I guess the question becomes, is p1 or anyone willing to make a major investment in cobalt against windows mobile?

AND

if carriers truly have ability to influence P1 (which may be the best thing to happen to P1) then they may be asking P1 to do another OS? because if P1 doesnt listen to businesses, the carriers certainly do.
  14.    #14  
    furthermore, it bothers me that more games are being released for windows mobile than palm os. Games are a great way to popularize a device and an OS. The gaming industry for the PC is big.
    Often i hear the reason palmone will never use windows mobile is becuase p1 customized devices, yet I recently read an article where HP had customized windows mobile. windows mobile is a familiar format, i could see palmone's dpad features being ported or customized for windows mobile.
    PPC has dpad way back when POS was still using beep-beep piezo speaker. Please eh? PPC is about to move to touchpad already for next OS. (it can handle far more complicated thumb movement than simple 8 direction + center)

I guess the question becomes, is p1 or anyone willing to make a major investment in cobalt against windows mobile?
    Cobalt is in serious trouble right now. The development tool is not polished. The OS is far from product ready and it doesn't have enough feature to compete against microsoft ce 5.0. In the meantime their windows of opportunity is not getting any larger. Q1 is do or die for Palm. By now we suppose to see leaked picture of next generation device instead of developer wondering how come the simulator is still crash happy.
    furthermore, it bothers me that more games are being released for windows mobile than palm os. Games are a great way to popularize a device and an OS. The gaming industry for the PC is big.
    1. wifi starts to mature in PPC. People start to write fancy apps.
    2. multimedia are beyond plenty. (most of them are freebies, while Palm are stills truggling with less than one all in one multimedia player)
    3. Microsoft is already encouraging game developer to take alook at graphic accelerator and new game API.

Palm?
    where is the built in all in one media player?
    where is the cheap wifi models?
    Any nice graphical game for Palm? (don't tell me, we target enterprise market)

Enterprise market don't buy iPod and gameboy. Enterprise market is falling in love with Blackberry right now.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    PPC has dpad way back when POS was still using beep-beep piezo speaker. Please eh? PPC is about to move to touchpad already for next OS. (it can handle far more complicated thumb movement than simple 8 direction + center)
    If people complain about ppc smartphones being too big already, what do u think a touchpad will do to this? msft may add that ability but I doubt any smartphone manufacturer will use it and be successful.