1.    #1  
    I am a prospective Treo owner, but need to clear one thing up...from you people who have them...

Ok so the Treo is a smartphone. This means that it is primarily a phone, rather than I PDA.

So therefore if I am on an airplane I will not be able to use the PDA functionality of my Treo without firing up the GSM cellphone and invoking the wrath of the airhostesses?
    Depends on the stewerdess. Some of them are smart enough to understand that the cell portion can be shut off while the rest remains functional. If you have the stylus out most will leave you alone.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    IMHO, Pdas with phone function. The word smartphone implies that a phone runs MS Smartphone OS, which the Treo does not (It's Palm OS!) That said, my Treo 270 and 600 have both been flying. You can totally turn off the wireless mode and still use the PDA. But most 'air hostesses' as you called them, don't want you using the Treo during takeoff and landing. Once on straight and level flight, I used the PDA portion without trouble. One Flight Attendant (The US P.C. version) asked me to turn off my 'phone', at which point I showed her that the phone was off (no blinking signal light) and that I was only using the PDA. No worries after that! :-D
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    IMHO, Pdas with phone function. The word smartphone implies that a phone runs MS Smartphone OS, which the Treo does not (It's Palm OS!)
    Huh? No such beast. MS has Windows CE and Windows Mobile. Windows Mobile is the prefered OS for developing Windows-based smart phones. Smart phone themselves use Palm, Symbian, and Linux , in addition to Windows CE and Mobile.

A smart phone is a phone that 'does more'. It is a hand-top (as opposed to desk-top or lap-top) device who's primary purpose is as a phone, but can host many other functions and routines.

So, yes, it IS a smartphone. You should be able to run it on those airlines which allow PDAs though, as you can turn off the phone part. It certainly isn't worth arguing with the aircrew about though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanS
    I am a prospective Treo owner, but need to clear one thing up...from you people who have them...

Ok so the Treo is a smartphone. This means that it is primarily a phone, rather than I PDA.

So therefore if I am on an airplane I will not be able to use the PDA functionality of my Treo without firing up the GSM cellphone and invoking the wrath of the airhostesses?
    You certainly do not need to "fire up the GSM." For the most part you will not incur the wrath of the cabin attendants. With the exception of SouthWest which has a fairly silly policy, the attendants do not even ask except at take off and landing. Otherwise, just show them the "wireless off" indication on the phone dial screen and they are satisfied.
  6. afr
    America West, like Southwest, has a problem with any pda that "eminates" signals, meaning telephone radio signals. Even though the Treo's phone signal can be turned off, the AW policy is so vague that it seems that the flight attendants don't usually interpret it to allow Treo usage, even if only in pda mode. I've sent e-mail to AW corporate offices asking them to reconsider the policy. Matter of fact, I have the address here: customer.advocate@americawest.com if you want to send them a message urging them to reconsider their unfortunate policy. I haven't flown SW in years, so have no firsthand experience with their policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanS

I think this question, and therefore the thread, combines two otherwise unrelated issues. Whether the Treo is a smartphone or a PDA with telephone function probably cannot be settled and is not relevant to whether or not one can use it on an airplane. Whatever one calls it, I think that the controls of the Treo are such that it permits the cell phone to be turned off while one continues to use the PDA function.

However one feels about the rules, cell phones cannot be used in the air and PDAs can. Since the Treo combines the functions, it raises an issue. The airlines vary in their tolerance of the Treo from none to reasonable.
    From the American Airlines site..
    http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...chnology.jhtml
    The Sprint CDMA version, if not all Treo's, say when the wireless is off.

Electronic Equipment
    All portable electronic devices must remain off during taxi, takeoff, approach and landing until the plane arrives at the gate and the seat-belt sign is turned off. Cellphones may be used on certain aircraft after landing in the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, once authorized by a flight attendant announcement. During flight, your flight attendant will tell you when you may use portable electronic devices, such as PDA/two-way pager combinations using only PDA functions, and only if the flight attendant can verify that transmitting capabilities are turned off.The the following equipment during flight: cellular phone, two-way pager, radio, TV set, remote-controlled game or toy, cordless computer mouse, commercial TV camera, or Global Positioning System. The use of any device that could cause damage to existing equipment, or that may diminish the design, function, or capability of any aircraft part or component, is not permitted. Any radio transmission using personal communications devices is prohibited. These devices may interfere with the aircraft's communication and navigation systems.* Please be considerate of other passengers. Use a headset with all audio/video devices.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I recently have been flying American and on each flight they announced that laptops and PDAs with wireless capability can be used if the wireless function can be turned off.
  10.    #10  
    So I guess my question is: Can you turn off the GSM capability and use the Treo as a pure PDA on the plane??????
    Yes, absolutely, you can.
    IN SUMMARY:

1) Yes, the Treo is a 'Smartphone'.

2) Yes, you CAN turn off the phone and still use the PDA functions.

3) Yes you can use on airplanes with phone off (unless you get an uneducated flight attendant).

CASE CLOSED
  13.    #13  
    Excellent, the answer I was looking for.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks you very very much