Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pls, I am desperate for help. Something is causing my palm to reset each time I hit the Home button. It keeps looping resetting to the Palm Welcome Screen then going off and then coming on again.
    I finally had to do a hard reset (warm didn't work) to get it working like normal, but as soon as I hot-synced, whatever was on it that was causing it to crash would come back on and it would happen again.
    I had previously removed ZLauncher, as well as purchased a new memory card which I had just installed. So I'm thinking it might be one of these.
    Is there a way to monitor the list of apps that will be reinstalled on sync so that I can pinpoint the offender?
    Thanks!
    Go into the Palm (or handspring) folder on your hard drive (program files). Go into the folder that has your profile name on it (mine is "Kurt"). Go into the "backup" folder and move everything to a temporary directory (a folder on your desktop, for instance). Resync. If that works, you know it was an offending program. Using the temporary folder and the files within it, you can resync individual programs to your device.

It's a pain, but I've done it before. If you have a hunch as to which one is the problem file, just remove it from the archive folder and resync.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks so much Kurt! I will try this when I get home today. As a quick-fix I created another profile for myself and selected certain programs just to get me through the day. Also, in Outlook, I changed the Pocket Mirror name to the new profile so I could get all my contacts and appointments. Just in case anyone ever has a problem like this but has to dash off to work!
    Well, now that you have that set up, it's really simple. Just reinstall the programs one by one from the old profile (it will create a new one when you get home with the info on your Treo).

In reality, this is what I do when this happens, but I figured no one else would want to put up with the hassel of more than one profile. :-)
    Are you using AOL's AIM software by chance?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    You can also dial ##377 (cdma) or *#377/*#377 (gsm) to bring up a little screen that will tell you what caused the previous crash.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

7.    #7  
    Well, I don't think I can keep this profile for much longer because all my apps that I purchased are licensed under my other user name. When I tried to install them under this profile, they came up as demos. Some would let me use the license key, but others (e.g. Tube and Monopoly) are driven by the user name.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Are you using AOL's AIM software by chance?
    No I am not. I use Verichat to get to my AIM buddies.
    Most developers will send you a new code if you ask, but you are right, that is a real pain!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    You can also dial ##377 (cdma) or *#377/*#377 (gsm) to bring up a little screen that will tell you what caused the previous crash.
    I tried to do this, but I kept getting an error message "The network could not complete your call". I tried both but none worked.
    Try #*377

Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    No I am not. I use Verichat to get to my AIM buddies.
    Ok, just checking, as that software is infamous for the reset loop

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Try #*377
    Wow, thanks! That's great to have. It didn't show exactly what happened (I crashed several times since then trying to pinpoint the problem) but it did show my last crash and the reason.

Also, In my main profile, I got it to work this morning but here were the issues:
    1. Anytime I hit the "Home" button, it would reset but freeze at the "Palm" screen.
    2. I could not get the wireless mode to go on.

I would have used it, using the favorites instead of "home" but I could not go wireless for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    I tried to do this, but I kept getting an error message "The network could not complete your call". I tried both but none worked.
    whoops. . . ah ha, my bad , I meant to type #*377/*#377 not *#377/*#377. I'm glad you got it to work though.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Go into the Palm (or handspring) folder on your hard drive (program files). Go into the folder that has your profile name on it (mine is "Kurt"). Go into the "backup" folder and move everything to a temporary directory (a folder on your desktop, for instance). Resync. If that works, you know it was an offending program. Using the temporary folder and the files within it, you can resync individual programs to your device.

It's a pain, but I've done it before. If you have a hunch as to which one is the problem file, just remove it from the archive folder and resync.

Kurt, I've tried this and the good news is- it was an offending program. However I am stuck. I now have everything in a temporary folder and have been slowly moving things back, but it does not seem to be putting my applications back. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be in the Archive folder instead?
    Install them as you would any other program. How many do you have?
  17.    #17  
    About 100! No, but nearly!
  18.    #18  
    Do you mean I should use the install tool and re-install?
    That's what I was thinking. Isnt' there a way to drag and drop them all into the installer?
  20.    #20  
    No. It looks like I have to click on them individually.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast