Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://news.com.com/PalmSource+takes...l?tag=nefd.top

dont know whehter this is a good thing or bad.
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    VERY good thing for people like me who use Outlook in great detail and would like more uniformity between our handhelp and PC. Thanks for the link!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Why isn't this story on Treo Central's front page? I would think that any news significant enough to affect their stock would be newsworthy!
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum
    Why isn't this story on Treo Central's front page? I would think that any news significant enough to affect their stock would be newsworthy!
    I currently have shares in both MSFT and PLMO and havent seen any effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by foe

Since reading this news, I've been thinking about it too, and I can't figure out whether it's a good or bad thing either. On the one hand it's good that consumers will soon have greater choice in picking a handset. On the other hand though, how long can PalmSource compete with the Microsoft juggernaut? If PalmOne, PalmSource's principle licensee, starts shipping MS handsets, things start to get real tough for PalmSource (a theme which can be clearly seen in their stock price TODAY!!). So in the end, Palmsource goes away, Microsoft wins, and we consumers get fewer choices...... so..... I guess it's a BAD thing...... right??????
    go.digital

Maybe now is the time to go with the PDA2K and get ahead of the learning curve on the Microsoft OS!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    Maybe now is the time to go with the PDA2K and get ahead of the learning curve on the Microsoft OS!
    Mooooohhhhhoooooowwwwwaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am vindicated at last!!! I have been practically shunned by this forum due to my recent change of heart regarding the pda2k. I tried to share info with this forum to give alternatives to people, also in hopes of letting Palm that they are going to get smoked if they don't start giving us what we want in a PDA - more shunning from this forum was received by me. Now, from out of nowhere, Palm is actually going to partner with what everyone in here calls "the enemy." I just can't stand it, it's too good. Maybe now many of you will wake up to the idea that Palm is screwing up! It's hard to admit defeat sometimes, but you'll live to fight another day. Don't take it out on me, I didn't design the crappy 650, your beloved Palm did. Believe me, if the 650 was what it should have been, I would be first in line! But it isn't - it is a year behind the curve, easily, and we should all admit it and move on. PPC is the latest there is on the market, and the pda2k is the king of the hill right now. Either stick with the 650 and be subpar, or move on up with the Jeffersons to the east side. Just don't shoot the messenger. Maybe next year I will submit posts from my Treo PPC!

(P.S. Note to TreoCentral moderators and those in charge, I am waiting to see how long it takes for this thread to either be closed or moved, since that is what you like to do to me lately.)
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    This is very bad from my perspective. I am a Mac user and every day I learn of some new step that Palm is taking to cater to Microsoft, pushing Mac users out of the picture more and more each day.

Perhaps more significant news today is learning of Jean-Louis Gassée being appointed Chairman of the PalmSource Board of Directors. I gurantee Palm will be going full steam ahead with this new Microsoft mistak... err... initiative. Gassée was an ex-Apple employee who started Be, Incoporated. Back in '96 he was very close to selling his company and his OS to Apple Computer. The deal fell apart in its last days. He would like nothing more than to leave behind Apple Computer and its users.
    Last edited by archie; 11/02/2004 at 12:43 PM.
    This news upsets me, too. A big reason I went with the Treo is the Palm OS and its relatively good integration with the Mac. If they shift to Windows there will be little reason for me to stay with the Treo. I don't buy the analyst's comment that he didn't expect PalmOne to ditch the Palm OS and that Microsoft operating system support would complement the Palm OS. Microsoft does not "support" anything it does try to consume.
    IMO if this is true it's bad news all around. MS needs more competition not less or we'll all end up with very little innovation and $1200 phones.
    Dude...Palm has such a better os.
    Plus Microsoft is big enough as it is already...if you people buy into this crap, you are feeding more fuel into this inferno that is Microsoft.
    At this rate, in ten years, Microsoft is gonna be our new government. Everything will be MS, we will all work for MS, no one will different from eachother...what does this remind you of?...
    Big Brother??????
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Perhaps more significant news today is learning of Jean-Louis Gassée being appointed Chairman of the PalmSource Board of Directors. I gurantee Palm will be going full steam ahead with this new Microsoft mistak... err... initiative. Gassée was an ex-Apple employee who started Be, Incoporated. Back in '96 he was very close to selling his company and his OS to Apple Computer. The deal fell apart in its last days. He would like nothing more than to leave behind Apple Computer and its users.
    It's PalmOne who would be putting a Microsoft OS on the Treo's, a move which actually hurts PalmSource, so how the could the initiative be part of a plan by Gassée to further disenfranchise Apple Computer and their users? (Maybe I've misunderstood your post.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    No it is me that had misunderstood the news I had read this morning. I had connected the news to be of the same Palm that we had just learned is working to put Microsoft’s OS on PalmOne hardware (as an explanation of why they would do this, especially since we just learned that the Palm OS is supposed to be ahead of Microsoft’s in number).

My apologies.

Still, this is not good for Mac users either way.
    Why would anyone want a PPC treo...the operating system sucks.....hell it crahses more than a drunk driver. Sort of like why would anyone want a media PC with the window operaing system. The last thing I want is to deal with crahses when I want to watch TV. BTW I don't own a Mac...I use a window machine (out of necessity), but single purpose operaing systems (like in my Tvio and my Palm) are much superior to trying to shoe horn windows into everything. Last thing I want to deal with are window problems / bloatwear.
    and who wants an MS OS? are you kidding me??? .. wake up!
    Visit http://TreoCafe.com
    Does this strike anyone else as astonishingly bad timing to announce this before their new latest and greatest hits the market? By announcing this now they just stole all their own thunder and knocked its own product on its ear. Its going to make that many more people question spending money on the new Treo. There are not enough details in the story to clear up the mud they just threw in everyone's eye.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    YAY! go microsoft! i like the idea of windows on my treo. goodbye bland screens hello bubbly user friendly windows. i want the pda2k but would it really work over here?>
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Looks to me like the Treo's struggle to start a family has led to an adoption.
    Or, is that an adaption??
    This is very bad news
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast