Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    http://news.com.com/2102-1045_3-5435...=st.util.print

PalmSource takes hit on investment report
    By Richard Shim

http://news.com.com/PalmSource+takes...3-5435211.html

Story last modified November 1, 2004, 8:33 PM PST

Shares of PalmSource, the handheld operating system developer, dipped Monday on an investment bank's report that said key licensee PalmOne will use Microsoft's OS in its Treo line of devices.
    The research note from Needham & Co. said PalmOne "tacitly admitted" it was working to make Microsoft's handheld OS available on the popular Treo line of phones. The devices currently use PalmSource's Palm OS, and PalmOne is PalmSource's biggest customer. The two companies recently split from each other, allowing them to be more flexible.

Shares of PalmSource fell $2.09 per share, or 9.32 percent, to close at $20.33. Shares were unchanged in after-hours trading.

PalmOne representatives said the report was based on a misunderstanding, adding the company is platform agnostic and said that as policy, it did not comment on products that may or may not be under development. PalmSource declined to comment on the report. Microsoft representatives declined to comment on what they called rumors and speculation.

The report added, "We know that an announcement is virtually certain," citing comments made by executives following an event for PalmOne analysts on Oct. 5. However, the report said the analysts, Charles Wolf and Justin Udelhofen, did not know when a Microsoft version of the Treo would be released.

Udelhofen added that making Microsoft's OS available on PalmOne's Treo devices would render the devices more appealing to large businesses that use other Microsoft OS products. The analyst said he didn't expect PalmOne to ditch the Palm OS and that Microsoft OS support would complement the Palm OS.

Copyright 1995-2004 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Holy crap. That's the beginning of the end, folks!
    Toomer
    Muahahahah!

Still, it will probably be a couple of years (or more) before you actually see one of these on the streets. I wonder if PalmOne decided the PalmOS just isn't going keep up with the growing desires of the smartphone world.
    YAY! Perfect form factor...now a much needed OS boost! Now throw Wifi in that badboy and clear the way!

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Muahahahah!

Still, it will probably be a couple of years (or more) before you actually see one of these on the streets. I wonder if PalmOne decided the PalmOS just isn't going keep up with the growing desires of the smartphone world.
    More likely, MS made them an offer they could not refuse.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/02/2004 at 09:35 AM.
    MS on a 32MB platform ... yeeshh! I think it's the wrong OS for the platform.

Now.. with more RAM and a faster processor, it might be better. I still think a palm-top or laptop is better suited to a large OS win WinX. (or OS-X, or Linux)
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You guys are assuming that the Treo line will survive. I knew the announcement that MS had secured an alliance with Palm meant really bad news for Treo users everywhere.

OS Boost ? MS has been trying to get a foot hold in the handheld market for how many years ? So now they'll just buy and kill off their rival.

Damn !!!