Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As you all may know, verizon apparently has the best coverage here. Everyone says they're the best, but they won't have the 650 till summer. Therefore, which 650 will you get?

AT&T- coverage is average at best, may improve with merger
    Sprint- don't know about coverage in Boston, all I know is they have fastest and cheapest data plan
    T-mobile- don't know
    Cingular- don't know

I'm going to Boston roadshow next week and would like to buy a 650 at discount price, but don't know anything about these carriers. Main priority is cell phone coverage. ex: drives me crazy I can't use AT&T when underground on the T. I see other people using their phones, but not with AT&T. So share the scoop on your carrier in Boston. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I'm in Boston everyday, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with Sprint. The only place where I have problems is out in the boonies, like concord. But no problems east of 128. Also, with sprint, you can always add on the $5 F&C America option, which allows you to roam up to 50% of the time on other networks for free. In Boston, that means you roam onto Verizon for the most part. That effectively gives you SPCS + Verizon coverage in Boston for less what verizon charges.
    I've been able to get very good coverage via Sprint in Boston. It's extremely rare that I don't have a perfect signal over the year or so that I've had my Treo 600. For me, Sprint is the only carrier that has a decent plan for my relatively low usage of the Treo.

I agree that I hear a lot about Verizon having the best coverage, but their lack of bringing the Treo 600 to the party in a timely manner and their data rates made it a non-contender with me.
    I have Sprint as well and I agree with everything said above - I have awesome reception everywhere!
    But if underground reception in the subway is important, Sprint does not have it, at least not on the red line or the green line. Just giving you a heads up even though I would choose Sprint again if I ever had to.
    I have been in Boston for 15 months and haven't had any problems with Sprint other than a stretch where I didn't get a signal in my condo in Brookline. That has since been resolved and I have no complaints. I spend most of my time in an around the city and have had excellent service with only occasional dropped calls and such. As albert said, there is 0 coverage on the green line. I see other people talking on their phone in Hynes and my phone is always searching for a signal. YMMV.
    The Treo600 & vision work brilliantly in Boston. Period
    Had SprintPCS in Boston for a long time and went through lots of phones (up to my Treo 600, of course!). Had problems near Mass Ave./I-93 and I'm not sure if they finally put a cell in the new Big Dig tunnel. On my frequent drives to NY, found lots of bad spots on the Merritt Turnpike in CT. Otherwise, was very happy with my service.

Go SOX! Anyone else there for the parade?
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    I just moved to boston recently and I switched from Cingular to Tmobile. I instantly noticed cingular had a "hole" in their coverage where my apt was at. I don't know if there are many holes with them, but I imagine so. I've enjoyed Tmobile so far, and they do have good subway coverage (downtown stops only). I think if I get the 650 I might want to move to ATT since they have EDGE, but only if they have decent coverage at my apt. Man I can't wait for Tmobile to roll out EDGE on their network.
    My Sprint PCS Treo600 has strong coverage in and immediately around the city and on major highways. Out in the 'burbs however, is where Sprint gets KILLED by Verizon. No reception down in the subways (would be nice to have reception while on platform but NOT while on the trains).

I would also get Verizon service if they had the T600 and T650. I've elected to stay with SprintPCS until Verizon releases the T650 and then take another look at the big-picture and see what new phones and technology have emerged by then (next Spring or Summer).

IdlePaw - your post above (#2) indicates some add-on plan. What is "F&C America"?? A cheap plan that leverages Verizon's network theoretically eliminates Sprint's week service out in the 'burbs. Have I understood this correctly?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    IdlePaw - your post above (#2) indicates some add-on plan. What is "F&C America"?? A cheap plan that leverages Verizon's network theoretically eliminates Sprint's week service out in the 'burbs. Have I understood this correctly?
    It's a $5 add-on that addresses any SPCS coverage issues you may have. Basically, you select any current plan sprint has, whether it's one of their Free and Clear (F&C) plans or their Free and Flexible (F&F) plans. Then you add on this "America" option, hence F&C America or F&F America. This allows you to roam onto a roaming parter (usually Verizon) for no additional charge. The only restriction is that half of the minutes you use must be on SPCS's network. So say I have a 500 minute plan, and I use 400 minutes total. Of that 400 minutes, 200 minutes can be made while roaming for no additional charge.

I think most places have digital roaming now, but it really depends on the roaming agreements SPCS has set up for that particular area. The end result is that if you're going to Verizon for their voice coverage, you'll probably be better off going with sprint and adding this option.
    I use T-Mobile in Boston and I'm very happy with it.
    Idlepaw - Thanks for the clarification. I just got off the phone with a SPCS rep and she tells me that while the F&C America plan will allow me to utilize other netorks (AllTel mostly) while roaming, it will not increase my overall reception. So while at my home office in the burbs of Boston, I will have the same one-bar reception. When I get further away from civilization and SPCS towers and into roaming territory, my phone will be able to jump onto another network and make calls without roaming charges.

If there are SprintPCS users out there, I've been told to go to your local SprintPCS store and get a "PRL update" to enhance signal strength.
    I have tmobile in Beantown for over a year without any problems with coverage. Only huge dead spots i have found are on 95S between Rt3 and Rt2. I would constantly drop calls on the drive home. Besides that though I didn't think of switching to Sprint, AT&T, and i dropped Cingular infavor of T-mobile... No regrets.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  14.    #14  
    OP here- it sounds like it's down to sprint and tmobile, but it's still confusing who the clear winner is. I live in Fenway and got an outside sales job in Burlington and surrounding area. I still don't know who to go with between those two. Any other input??

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by keswick
    OP here- it sounds like it's down to sprint and tmobile, but it's still confusing who the clear winner is. I live in Fenway and got an outside sales job in Burlington and surrounding area. I still don't know who to go with between those two. Any other input??

Thanks!
    TMOBILE =
    Flexability with being able to switch a phone when needed using a SIM card.
    Crystal Clear Calls
    Good data prices
    International coverage

Spring =
    PCS (pretty crappy service... running joke at my old Radio Shack)
    V low data rate
    Fast speeds
    Not digital... voices are not as clear as they could be.
    Only works in the US of A
    Cannot switch phone on the fly

BTW where in the Fens do you live? I'm right next to the MFA...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    TMOBILE =
    Flexability with being able to switch a phone when needed using a SIM card.
    Crystal Clear Calls
    Good data prices
    International coverage

Spring =
    PCS (pretty crappy service... running joke at my old Radio Shack)
    V low data rate
    Fast speeds
    Not digital... voices are not as clear as they could be.
    Only works in the US of A
    Cannot switch phone on the fly

BTW where in the Fens do you live? I'm right next to the MFA...
    I don't know where you get your information from, but:

Sprint has awesome reception in Massachusetts, I have dropped myabe a total of 4 calls in the last 3 years.

Sprint has a very high data rate as far as speed and bandwidth limit - the fastest one in Boston right now.

Sprint is all Digital.
    The phones work in more than the USA, they work in Canada and other countries roaming on their CDMA networks - just like a tmobile phone would roam on a GSM network in Canada.

Can be switched on the website to a different phone if you want to use your Treo at times and other phones at other times (although this isn't as convenient as a sim). The only disadvantage at this point is the ease of the sim card to switch phones.
    I live in Wellesley. T-Mobile has better reception here. On Sprint, I only get 1-2 bars outdoors and 0-1 bar in my house. I like Sprint for their data service and business connection plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoxtro600
    I live in Wellesley. T-Mobile has better reception here. On Sprint, I only get 1-2 bars outdoors and 0-1 bar in my house. I like Sprint for their data service and business connection plans.
    Very good to know. I live 1/4 mile from Wellesley College and have been crippled by Sprint's tired reception. I will take a look at the T-Mobile offering and consider a T650 and service provider upgrade. Thanks for the heads-up oxoxtro600
  19. gcs
    Hi,

I live in Reading, and work in either Westford, or Cambridge (company has multiple sites), and have no reception problems with my Sprint Treo 600 at all. I've used it all over the Eastern US from Maine to Florida (Raleigh, Cicninatti, NYC, etc) and except for the back part of my in-law's house, have never not had signal...

George
    I use my Treo 600 in Boston everyday. The signal is fine whil in the city. My only complaint is that I ride the commuter rail and have 2-3 dead spots along the way, especially near Sharon. What I've found for New England in general is that the closer you are to the metro areas or a highway, the better the signal, which of course makes perfect sense.

-Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast