Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Sprint has a very high data rate as far as speed and bandwidth limit - the fastest one in Boston right now.

Sprint is all Digital.
    The phones work in more than the USA, they work in Canada and other countries roaming on their CDMA networks - just like a tmobile phone would roam on a GSM network in Canada.
    You right about the data, I had a mis-type on that one. But as far as world wide contries with CDMA vs GSM, GSM is the clear cut winner.

I don't know if you have tried listening on a GSM phone vs a CDMA phone but it is a night and day comparsion. GSM is a hellofa lot clearer.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Are there any websites out there that just review cellular carriers? (by geographical area maybe)?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I'm in the Boston and around the Boston suburbs, Westwood, Canton, Norwood during the buisness week and out in South Eastern MA on weekends (Taunton area) with T-Mobile. I am using a Cingular (unlocked) Treo 600 GSM. I have no problems and would recommend T-Mo. I recentlt switched my wife's AT&T service over to T-mo. AT&T service has gone to the dogs as of late (Cingular/AT&T wireless merger???).
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I use my Treo 600 in Boston everyday. The signal is fine whil in the city. My only complaint is that I ride the commuter rail and have 2-3 dead spots along the way, especially near Sharon. What I've found for New England in general is that the closer you are to the metro areas or a highway, the better the signal, which of course makes perfect sense.

-Joe
    E.O.J. - which service provider do you use? Sounds like Sprint if your reception is ok on the highways and in downtown. Am I right? Overall reception even in the 'burbs' is where Verizon really shines over most carriers in the area. If they'd only move a little faster with hardware. Checking T-Mobile's site now for calling plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Are there any websites out there that just review cellular carriers? (by geographical area maybe)?
    Did a little Google search and came up with this http://www.cellphone.homestead.com/

Its a complaint database where consumers log their experiences with deadzones so it certainly is not comprehensive but it is interesting. Could help with your decision about a calling plan based on the coverage of your specific geography especially if there are several common geographic areas being red-flagged.

This appears to be a portal to each of the cellular carriers coverage-maps http://www.cellphone.homestead.com/c...cellzones.html As I suspected, Verizon is the clear and dominant winner for the most digital coverage in the Eastern and even Central MA area.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I don't know where you get your information from, but:

Sprint has awesome reception in Massachusetts, I have dropped myabe a total of 4 calls in the last 3 years.

Sprint has a very high data rate as far as speed and bandwidth limit - the fastest one in Boston right now.

Sprint is all Digital.
    The phones work in more than the USA, they work in Canada and other countries roaming on their CDMA networks - just like a tmobile phone would roam on a GSM network in Canada.

Can be switched on the website to a different phone if you want to use your Treo at times and other phones at other times (although this isn't as convenient as a sim). The only disadvantage at this point is the ease of the sim card to switch phones.
    Furthermore, Sprint operates on the PCS band, which doesn't stand for pretty crappy service. It's frequency is around 1.9 gHz, which has a lot less interference than the 800 mHz frequencies of other carriers.

Another thing to think about is the fact that Verizon is a conglomeration of many other companies. They have three different types of networks that they operate: 800 mHz analog, 800 mHz CDMA, and 1.9 gHz CDMA. That adds to a lot of inter-network problems. Furthermore, Verizon never deploys all of their data services across their entire network. If Sprint works in your area, it is the best.

One last thing, if you do get service with the $5 America add-on with Sprint, be advised that you cannot access Vision while roaming on another network, even if it is Verizon's.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    E.O.J. - which service provider do you use? Sounds like Sprint if your reception is ok on the highways and in downtown. Am I right? Overall reception even in the 'burbs' is where Verizon really shines over most carriers in the area. If they'd only move a little faster with hardware. Checking T-Mobile's site now for calling plans.
    You are correct sir.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I had t-mobile for my 270....hated it. Constant signal problems. Support is abysmal. Cheap rates though, but you get what you pay for!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12