1.    #1  
    Hello all. I'm pretty excited about the new treo, but noticed there are some other options in the market. I thought I'd ask for your input.

I'll mostly be using this device as an aid to record and track my health (I'm type 1 diabetic). My chosen software can be found here. It's a huge 40,000 item database that requires an abosolute minimum of 4 megs. I have to keep track of everything I eat, carbohydrate intake, insulin dosages, and blood glucose readings. Having the software on a phone would make things infinitely easier for me. PPC and Palm versions of this software are available.

I don't really give a rip about bluetooth, wi-fi (no hot spots here, anyway), digital camera, or any of the other frills. I need a phone and pda that can run that program. How does the 650 stack up to the competition, given my needs? Price isn't a huge object (well, I'm not buying that $4500 mpx).

Thanks,
    Kris
    the treo 650 would do fine, for that matter so would the 600.

then again, since they offer a ppc version, so would any of the bulky ppc phones.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I actually saw a phone on engadget.com last month that had a means to test your blood sugar in it. Not that it relates to your question, I just thought it was interesting.

Since the software you need runs off both of the main US platforms, you are free to choose. I'm not sure when you need to purchase it, but you would need to decide what form factor you prefer and choose accordingly. It appears that is your only deciding factor and no one here can make that choice for you.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxboro
    I actually saw a phone on engadget.com last month that had a means to test your blood sugar in it. Not that it relates to your question, I just thought it was interesting.

Since the software you need runs off both of the main US platforms, you are free to choose. I'm not sure when you need to purchase it, but you would need to decide what form factor you prefer and choose accordingly. It appears that is your only deciding factor and no one here can make that choice for you.

Yeah I've actually seen the phone you are talking about. I guess it's already out in Korea, but I'm not sure there are plans for US distribution as the FDA approval process can be a real drag. Honestly, my meter is really tiny, so it's not a big concern. The diet tracking software is much more important as I have to eat out quite often and am forced to guess at the carb content and appropriate insulin dosage.

I'm familiar with palm (and will most likely be going with a palm device), but the last unit I used was the original palm pilot. I absolutely hated the graffiti style entry and swore I'd never go back. Is the handwriting recognition any better now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpy
    I'm familiar with palm (and will most likely be going with a palm device), but the last unit I used was the original palm pilot. I absolutely hated the graffiti style entry and swore I'd never go back. Is the handwriting recognition any better now?

with the treo, you dont have to worry about grafitti, it comes with a kb.

It doesn't come with grafitti, and you dont need it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Unless you have some need (or dream) of massive future expansion, the 600 will more than meet your needs, plus many others you may not have thought of yet. My suggestion is to buy it for less now, and if you ever see a need in the future, to upgrade when the 650 (or whatever else catches your eye) has it's almost guaranteed price reduction.
    As I tell all my friends "buy for what you need, but leave the option open for expansion, you never know what will change" and the 600 has most of what the normal user needs for near-term expansion.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!