Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    our friends, the french...

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041011/franc...mobiles_4.html


    surely some here would find this of interest
  2. #2  
    A fine idea that wouldn't be neccesary if people had decency.
  3. #3  
    if ppl would use their vib mode...
  4. #4  
    ... and used their inside voices. I mean cells are good enough you don't need to yell into them.
  5. #5  
    true story: once, at a theatre, a girl in the front was speaking on the phone during the film. A guy between her and me got so exasperated that he eventually said "would you shut the hell up" or something and she resopnded - and I am not kidding - "I'm on the phone here!" full of indignation, and then turned back around.
    two seconds later he threw his large pop and hit her in the back of the head. she ran out, crying, almost in shock. her friend that she was with waited a full five minutes before joining her.
    not the right action by that guy, but holy crap - for the first hundred years of movies we got along without cell phones in theatres. we will continue to survive without them.
  6. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #6  
    I agree with Primate.
  7. #7  
    How does one allow emergency calls but not other ones?
  8. #8  
    When I am at a movie theater, I set my Treo 600 to vibrate mode. When someone calls, I take a quick peek to see who called. I say quick, because lights from phones in a dark movie theater can be very annoying. If I need to talk on the phone, I go to the lobby and call back. No big deal.

    I can't stand it when people talk on the phones during movies, or use their phones to send text messages with bright shining lights in the dark.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    How does one allow emergency calls but not other ones?
    Yes, it does require that it must allow dial out of emergency call. There is also a requirement for setting an outside area like the lobby where people could place calls with any jamming.

    This is actually a good idea for theaters, etc. where silence is needed.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Yes, it does require that it must allow dial out of emergency call.
    Right. I'm just wondering how it actually works. Wouldn't something that actually screens calls before deciding to block them be a) really expensive and b) an invasion of the caller's privacy?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Right. I'm just wondering how it actually works. Wouldn't something that actually screens calls before deciding to block them be a) really expensive and b) an invasion of the caller's privacy?
    Would they not have like a '911' emergency number?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    an invasion of the caller's privacy?
    this is france we are talking about, not the US.

    the reason i completely disagree with this is what if your job requires you to be on call some or all of the time. first you cannot go to the movies, soon resturants, then what? I always put my phone on vibrate, so i disagree with this completely. besides, has hearing a phone ring really ruined an entire movie? if you are that uptight, perhaps you should not go into the public.
    Last edited by BigKenny; 10/15/2004 at 04:12 PM. Reason: me
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Would they not have like a '911' emergency number?
    They very well might, but that would require an active screening of calls. Basically, when I think of a cellular jammer, I think of something that prevents all signals from getting through (think a big lead box). But in order to allow certain calls to get through don't you need some device to actually listen to the call, determine if it's going to an emergency number and then either jam it if it's standard (presumably leaving all other calls alone) or let it pass if it's an emergency (somehow while continuing to block the others).
  14. #14  
    I do not believe that this jammer is a generic noise jammer that just kills the signal. I believe that the jammer may work more asong the lines of preventing your phone from connecting to your service provider. Which would still allow emergency numbers to work. Because any cell phone that is getting signal can dail out 911 whether or not it is activated.

    But I actually don't know, I am just taking a guess.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    this is france we are talking about, not the US.

    the reason i completely disagree with this is what if your job requires you to be on call some or all of the time. first you cannot go to the movies, soon resturants, then what? I always put my phone on vibrate, so i disagree with this completely. besides, has hearing a phone ring really ruined an entire movie? if you are that uptight, perhaps you should not go into the public.
    The problem is people don't all put their phone on vibrate. Then it rings, and they figure they're more important than everyone else in the theatre put together and answer it and run their mouths, which does ruin the movie.
    You've got voicemail don't you?
  16. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #16  
    There's a good article about cell phone jamming in today's New York Times at http://nytimes.com/2004/11/07/weekinreview/07bels.html.

    Has anyone encountered cell phone jamming in the US?
  17. #17  
    [QUOTE=metalmicky]true story: once, at a theatre, a girl in the front was speaking on the phone during the film. he threw his large pop and hit her in the back of the head.
    not the right action by that guy, but holy crap - QUOTE]

    No, he should have thrown his large coke.

    I wish restaurants could jam here.
  18. #18  
    You can buy your own jammer today - see, for example, http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

    Lots of places are installing them - see here:
    http://news.dmusic.com/article/14606
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    the reason i completely disagree with this is what if your job requires you to be on call some or all of the time. first you cannot go to the movies, soon resturants, then what? I always put my phone on vibrate, so i disagree with this completely. besides, has hearing a phone ring really ruined an entire movie? if you are that uptight, perhaps you should not go into the public.
    If your job is so important then get a pager. Otherwise suffer the consequences of a public with too many rude people in it. I hope this is instituted here in the US ASAP. It will only truly annoy the rude ones!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    this is france we are talking about, not the US.

    the reason i completely disagree with this is what if your job requires you to be on call some or all of the time. first you cannot go to the movies, soon resturants, then what? I always put my phone on vibrate, so i disagree with this completely. besides, has hearing a phone ring really ruined an entire movie? if you are that uptight, perhaps you should not go into the public.
    If people put their phones on vibate this wouldn't be an issue. I was in a play recently and although they announce the, "please turn your cells off", some idiots phone went off and of course he was too stupid to it off in a timely manner and then it went off again, in the middle of the play. The actor in the play finally incorporated it into his lines, and said to his wife, "If must be for you."

    Maybe you should get another job. I support blocking in restaurants and movies theaters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions