Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's up with ResellerRatings.com? If you've been following this thread, you'll know that a lot of people are unhappy with Chumbo.com for misleading customers on the price of a 1 gig SD card. Chumbo exercised its right to cancel our orders, and we exercised our right to post feedback at ResellerRatings.com about our experience with the company. Chumbo's rating went from 7 to < 1 in one day, but all from different posters who had to prove they did business with Chumbo before leaving feedback. Now Chumbo's reseller rating is back to normal and 99% of the negative feedback removed. Doesn't that pretty much destroy ResellerRating's credibility?
    Last edited by MAdMoNKEY; 10/11/2004 at 10:22 PM.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by MAdMoNKEY
    What's up with ResellerRatings.com? If you've been following this thread, you'll know that a lot of people are unhappy with Chumbo.com for misleading customers on the price of a 1 gig SD card. Chumbo exercised its right to cancel our orders, and we exercised our right to post feedback at ResellerRatings.com about our experience with the company. Chumbo's rating went from 7 to < 1 in one day, but all from different posters who had to prove they did business with Chumbo before leaving feedback. Now Chumbo's reseller rating is back to normal and 99% of the negative feedback removed. Doesn't that pretty much destroy ResellerRating's credibility?
    how did chumbo let everyone know? did they offer anything? i would hope they offered the card to everone who ordered one at cost. it was in their terms that they can cancel an order due to a typo. i understand their decision, but they have to know people are going to be upset if they do nothing.
  3.    #3  
    Offering the card at cost for cancelled orders--that's another good idea. My beef with them is not that they cancelled the orders, which I can understand, but that they didn't go out of their way to make it up to all the thousands of new customers who signed up on their site explicitly for this deal. Even a small token would go a long way (i.e. free shipping on the next order, etc.--I probably woudn't use it, but i'd appreciate it nonetheless). Instead I'm left feeling I was scammed into providing personal info and credit card info to a company that doesn't seem too torn up about their mistake.

Anyways. My problem here isn't Chumbo anymore, it's that ResellerRatings.com is marketed as a forum for consumers to leave feedback, and it looks like a lot of the negative feedback has magically disappeared. That's not cool. Michael Moore should make a documentary.
    from their site:
    We reserve the right to remove evaluations at our discretion in order to enforce the policies in our registration agreement. if your evaluation was removed, chances are it violated our policies or was proven to be false or fraudulent. As a general rule, evaluations are rarely removed.
    Interestingly, I can't seem to find their registration agreement...........
    I just posted my comments.
    I just sent them an email:

Where did all of the negative reviews on Chumbo go? And how did their rating go back up? There were valid complaints posted. I would like to know how so much changed in so little time, because these actions cause me to have concern over the validity of this website's ratings. Thank you in advance for your answers.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    from their site:
    We reserve the right to remove evaluations at our discretion in order to enforce the policies in our registration agreement. if your evaluation was removed, chances are it violated our policies or was proven to be false or fraudulent. As a general rule, evaluations are rarely removed.
    Interestingly, I can't seem to find their registration agreement...........
    They require an order # to prove that the person leaving feedback has done business with the company. So my feedback (and around 50 others that were there before me) can't be fraudulent. I blame....bin Laden.

I did write an email to ResellerRatings.com, telling them I appreciate the forum their site provides for consumers but that I have been forced into questioning their credibility. Let's see what they say in response.
  8.    #8  
    Oh wait, here's my letter, it's still in my Windows Clipboard buffer...

Hi,

I appreciate a site like ResellerRatings.com that gives a voice to consumers and empowers them to promote change in company practices and policies. You also ensure fairness to the companies by requiring posters to register and provide proof that they have conducted business with a company before leaving feedback.

A recent experience with the company Chumbo.com propelled me to sign up on your site and leave my first evaluation. A few hours later I have found that my evaluation, along with many others posted today, have been deleted without notice. I'm sorry, but what does that say about the credibility of ResellerRatings.com?

Thank you,
    Your mom

(well, instead of "Your mom", I may have had my name...)
    Their response to me:

It has come to our attention that a plethora of Chumbo reviews recently
    submitted were in response to a pricing error, which Chumbo corrected within
    3 days of said error's being published on their site.

Please see our policy on pricing errors, here:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/price_error.pl

Of course, if it became apparent that any merchant would use such a tactic
    intentionally or repeatedly as a gimmick or for fraudulent purposes, then
    such pricing policy would not be applied.

To the best of my knowledge, Chumbo has not had a previous error of this
    nature.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Lara
    ResellerRatings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    Their response to me:

It has come to our attention that a plethora of Chumbo reviews recently
    submitted were in response to a pricing error, which Chumbo corrected within
    3 days of said error's being published on their site.

Please see our policy on pricing errors, here:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/price_error.pl

Of course, if it became apparent that any merchant would use such a tactic
    intentionally or repeatedly as a gimmick or for fraudulent purposes, then
    such pricing policy would not be applied.

To the best of my knowledge, Chumbo has not had a previous error of this
    nature.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Lara
    ResellerRatings.com
    What does that have to do with anything. Can you not post an indiviual experience. I thought compiling pos and neg ratings over time was their job!
    Apparently not.
    It's all b***s***. I'm totally disgusted. I guess you can only rate merchants at reselleratings based on whatever THEY decide is relevant, not what the consumers consider relevant.
  12.    #12  
    Here's the response I got:

Your mama,

What it says about our credibility is that over the past 8 years we have formulated a few clear and necessary policies governing the removal of reviews to ensure fairness for all merchants and consumers, rather than simply sitting back and letting our site turn into a worthless free for all with no order whatsoever.

ResellerRatings has a policy about pricing errors - we do not allow bashing of a merchant over a single price error because a single honest mistake should not run a merchant into the ground. See http://www.resellerratings.com/price_error.pl. The point of ResellerRatings is to show a pattern of shoddy service over time, or multiple incidents of poor service, not to condemn a merchant over a single honest mistake that happened to affect thousands of deal-seekers. If a merchant has a pattern of poor service, their rating will reflect it.

If this merchant or any other made frequent price errors, then we would recognize that pattern of behavior and suspect fraud. However, this is the first such pricing error we're aware of for this merchant.

ResellerRatings doesn't arbitrarily remove reviews, ever. Reviews are only removed in strict accordance with our Terms of Use (http://www.resellerratings.com/terms.pl).

Scott Wainner
    President/CEO
    ResellerRatings.com
  13.    #13  
    And here is my response back:

Scott,

Thank you for your response. I can appreciate the difficulty you have in providing an environment that is both fair to the consumer and to the participating companies. But I do still have a few concerns.

My first concern is that my feedback was removed without notice. This gives me the impression that I have voiced my opinion when in reality I have not. You have every right to protect the interests of those companies that are your clients, but you also are responsible for protecting the rights of consumers like you and me who are also your site's clients. To me this implies receiving notice that my evaluation has been removed, and an explanation of why. Some people may not agree with your explanation--I actually happen to agree with the explanation you just provided me--but they will never be left feeling like their opinions never mattered and may simply disappear.

My second concern is the criteria used to decide which evaluations to remove when a pricing error has occurred. I understand your company must be vigilant against the irate consumer who's only goal is to flame a company. However, some evaluations--such as mine--are meant to express frustration but also act as a catalyst for change. I know people make mistakes all the time, it happens, but it's how they handle their mistakes that speaks volumes about a person/company. In my evaluation I stated I was upset, but I also suggested what the company could have done to win back my confidence. In Chumbo's case, I felt they needed to prove to the 25,000 affected customers who submitted their credit card and personal information that they truly regretted their mistake but still valued us as new customers. Chumbo did not handle their mistake well in my opinion, and I feel potential customers should be aware of this--not that Chumbo made a mistake, but that Chumbo may not deal with their mistakes very effectively.

My third concern is whether any of the negative reviews stemming from this incident will remain. I understand a company should not be penalized for a one-time mistake, but on the other hand if hundreds or thousands of users all share the same strong sentiment about a company, is it right to completely mask those feelings? Perhaps a balance can be struck--maybe 10% of all opinions from an incident like this will remain. If the incident affected only 10 people, only 1 evaluation will go though. If the incident affects 1000 people, 100 evaluations go through. I know as a consumer all mistakes are not equal--I would want to know if a company has only made small mistakes or some major ones.

My last concern is the treatment of positive reviews. When reading through Chumbo's reviews, I noticed there was 1 positive review stating that Chumbo's cancellation email satisfied him or her, and he or she gave Chumbo a high rating. Will this review be removed as well? If not, a user browsing your site will see this one positive evaluation and have no idea of the hundreds of other users who do not share this impression. In the interests of promoting a balanced yet honest forum, I hope you will take this into account as well.

Thank you,
    Your mama's mama
    well said Monkey.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Indeed Monkey, well done, and appreciated by this one, of the thousands who feel burned, TWICE.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks. Though I'm hoping he doesn't call up his grandmother and b!tch her out.
    Wait, you mean you seriously signed that with "your mama's mama"? I just figured you were protecting your name on this board .
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

I never even got a cancellation email. harumph!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Wait, you mean you seriously signed that with "your mama's mama"? I just figured you were protecting your name on this board .
    I did?
  20.    #20  
    Ok, just got a response:

Your mama's brother's son's aunt's daughter's grandmamma,

While we have removed reviews without notice, we did place a note on Chumbo.com's reviews page explaning our actions.

Chumbo.com isn't a "client" of our company. They're simply one of 6,000 stores that are listed at ResellerRatings.com, and one that I don't think I've ever even heard of before today. We're not going out of our way to protect them anymore than we would protect any merchant. Our policies affect all merchants equally.

You said, "I felt they needed to prove to the 25,000 affected customers who submitted their credit card and personal information that they truly regretted their mistake but still valued us as new customers." Of course that's true and you're certainly entitled to feel that way. However, bashing a merchant with hundreds of bad reviews over a single honest mistake is not the way to go about eliciting an apology.

No reviews, positive or negative, relating to this price error will remain. A price mistake is simply that - a price mistake: and usually one that's too good to be true and most everyone placing an order knows its too good to be true but they place the order anyway, hoping to get the deal of the century and/or to screw the merchant out of thousands of dollars in losses. A single mistake or typo should not cause a merchant to go under.

Price mistakes are a very unique circumstance. We don't have any other type of policy that's even remotely similar to this one regarding the removal of multiple reviews and again, we do not pick and choose what reviews we want to stay etc - reviews are ONLY removed according to our Terms of Use policies, http://www.resellerratings.com/terms.pl. What happens is that a large number of deal seekers get angry, flock to forums to complain, then urge everyone to go to ResellerRatings to bash the merchant. The end result is that the merchant's rating gets skewed such that the rating is no longer an accurate representation of the quality of service that the merchant provides, and can actually put the merchant out of business, all due to a single one-time mistake.

You said, "If the incident affects 1000 people, 100 evaluations go through. I know as a consumer all mistakes are not equal--I would want to know if a company has only made small mistakes or some major ones." Again, price mistakes are very unique circumstances. If a company makes one single price mistake, it gets erased - that's simply our policy and again, it's unique - we have no other policies like this. If they begin to make multiple mistakes, which so far hasn't happened for any merchants, then we would reevaluate our policy for that merchant since it would indicate possible fraud.

You're not at a disadvantage here: price mistakes are very rare. By reading reviews and looking at company ratings at our site, you're seeing the best possible customer testimony about a merchant's quality of service. The fact that we omit price error bashing helps, doesn't hurt, the accuracy of our ratings.

Thanks,

Scott Wainner
    President/CEO
    ResellerRatings
    Last edited by MAdMoNKEY; 10/12/2004 at 12:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast