1.    #1  
    I was just thinking of drawbacks to purchasing an unlocked Treo 650 and the subject of insurance and warranties came up. Since you would not normally purchase an unlocked phone from the carrier you will be using the phone with, are insurance programs to protect you from when a phone is broken or loss/stolen?

Another thing I was thinking about were the potential drawbacks of using a phone that is not officially supported by your carrier. For example, if I were to by an unlocked Treo 650 and use it on T-mobile's network (let's say they are not carrying the 650), would I have full functionality of the 650 on T-mobile's network? Also, would the carrier you are using the unlocked phone on support you if you have any issues with the phone (hardware or network issues)?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I am not an expert, but as I understand it, the "oficially supported" version is a non-issue. In the past this had an impact, but now, when you're connected to the network the phone is configured automatically. At least I have never had to do any type of setup (using TMo with Data Access).

I do not think the insurance is based on locked or unlocked, just your carrier and the device you use. My sister had a T600 replaced on Sprint, and I have insurance on my 600 (no claims yet).
  3.    #3  
    I do not think the insurance is based on locked or unlocked, just your carrier and the device you use. My sister had a T600 replaced on Sprint, and I have insurance on my 600 (no claims yet).

In your example, your sister replaced a T600 on Sprint. Sprint carries the T600 for its network. My question is what if you buy a phone that is not carried by a particular carrier (example- I buy an unlocked T600 directly from PalmOne for use with T-mobile before they carry the phone...think back a year ago when a bunch of people did this when the T600 was launched). In my example, can you purchase insurance for a phone that is not sold by the specific carrier (T-mobile in my example)?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I cannot say for sure, but I purchased phones from PalmOne and have them under insurance, after the release. You do pay extra for the insurance, and I believe it is a convenience that it is offered through the carrier, because it is managed by the insurance provider (Assurion).

You should call them directly - when I wanted to get my wife's 270 insured, they told me they were not taking new apps due to excessive fraud....
    as a sprint emp....u can definately insure in the phone but if it is not purchased from the carrier directly it is nt under warranty at all.....trust me....i turn ppl away all day 4 this
  6.    #6  
    as a sprint emp....u can definately insure in the phone but if it is not purchased from the carrier directly it is nt under warranty at all.....trust me....i turn ppl away all day 4 this
    So, you can purchase insurance to cover the phone, but you would lose the manufacturers warranty through PalmOne if you do not purchase directly from the carrier (I'm assuming you are referring to the manufacturers warranty)? This does not make sense. You would think the manufacturers warranty comes with the product regardless of if you buy it through a carrier or directly from PalmOne.