1.    #1  
    Is the Sprint network faster than the rest? I was thinking of getting T-Mobile, but now I'm thinking Sprint, if it's faster for the web. Their prices are higher, at $40 for 20MB, $60 for 40MB and $80 for 300MB/month than T-mobile's $20 per month unlimited, but now I see there might be a reason for that. (...and how much e-mail and surfing makes a MB anyway?)

This is a piece from an article reviewing the 600 back in 10/03.

We tested a generic GSM/GPRS Treo 600 with a T-Mobile SIM card, as well as a unit provisioned by Sprint. Both models used the Blazer 3.0 browser. In hands-on testing (with both units registering two of five signal strength bars and with cleared browser caches), the Sprint version took 2 minutes 44 seconds to download all of the elements of PC Magazine's home page. The GSM version, using T-Mobile, required just under 4 minutes. That relative performance is what one would expect from the carrier's 1xRTT (Sprint) and GPRS (T-Mobile) networks.

Full Article is: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1310701,00.asp

Thanks, wise folk,

Beth
    I pay $10 for unlimited Vision per month but I understand the new rate is $15/month unlimited.
    I thought it was the other way around. I used to pay $15/month and called in and was offered $10/month--their "new promotion".
    Quote Originally Posted by pbzvariety
    Their prices are higher, at $40 for 20MB, $60 for 40MB and $80 for 300MB/month
    Those are the prices for Sprint's service using a wireless card in your laptop (or PDA, I suppose). The pricing for data service on cellphones (including the Treo) is very different, and cheaper than T-Mobile -- basically $15 per month for "unlimited" use. (Note that the service is not really unlimited -- you can't used your handset as a modem for another device. You see, Sprint sells devices for that purpose and they want you to pay for the much more expensive plans if you're going to do that kind of thing.) Some people, as has been pointed out, have scored $10 per month "unlimited" plans, usually because they've had the plan for a really long time, but sometimes because they got a deal. As well, if you're adding a line to your service with Sprint, the "unlimited" data service usually only costs $5 per month for the extra handset. Also as well, if you have a more expensive plan with a lot of minutes (say, 2000), "unlimited" data service is often included.

And yes, 1xRTT is faster than GPRS.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
    For me, unlimited data is more important than speed (altough speed *is* cool). I'm connected 24/7 with my Treo, using the $19.99 unlimited data plan from Cingular (can't remember the name of it).

AIM & MSN always on, plus email download every 15mn. It's working out great for met.
    The only site that I go to is Google.

It depends on your needs.
  6.    #6  
    THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. Is there a place you got it and scored those $10 deals?

I looked at this place called YouNeverCall.com, and they're the cheapest for t-mobile phone at $349 after $50 rebate, and treo's Sprint site seems OK, but they charge $550 for the phone, after rebate.

I've always wanted to go to t-mobile, since lots of my friends have it and it'd be cheaper to get the mobile-to-mobile mintues with them, so my question is,

How much faster is the SPrint network than T-mobiles? Is it big, or negligible for little novices like me?

Thanks,

Beth
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Hi Beth?

If you would be opening a new account w\Sprint the phone will be around $400 as well - after rebates. Also, with a new 2-year contract you should get your first two months of Vision (aka web/data access) free. The standard Sprint unlimited Vision package is $15\mo, but that only includes 100 SMS (+$5 for unlimited SMS) . You can use IM, e-mail, & web browsing freely. You should be able to get all the info at http://www.sprintpcs.com.
    As for the $10\mo deal? that's usually for grandfathering or other customer service deals. Never hurts to call and talk w\someone though.
    I thought Sprint did not support true SMS.. has that changed? Are there differences between CDMA SMS and GSM SMS?
    -mbd26
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    yes, Sprint now has two-way, "real" SMS. I think since around May
  10.    #10  
    [QUOTE=cooneyca]Hi Beth?

The standard Sprint unlimited Vision package is $15\mo, but that only includes 100 SMS (+$5 for unlimited SMS) . You can use IM, e-mail, & web browsing freely. You should be able to get all the info at http://www.sprintpcs.com.

Good to know. Now, what's SMS? is that text messaging? I've done tons of research, but it seems like there's nothing that explains the basics of the basics, which probably is what SMS and all that is to you all.

$400 for the treo 600 must be on their full site, because it's $550 after rebate through TreoCentral store.

Beth