Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Yes I know I should have backed up!

I was on the road for 3 weeks. I was constantly putting in notes and addresses and thoughts and wonderful ideas and photos.

The recharger connecter was not making the clicking sound it normally makes when attaching it.

Then Kaboom! It decided to do a miserable HARD RESET. I was one day away from synching and all my 3 weeks of data is gone. boooo hooooo!

Sprint says the charger is not on the warantee.

I can't always have my laptop with me. Have others used the backup accessory? Does it contain enough memory for the 650 if I upgrade?
    I am guessing a 64MB SD card should be enough to backup the 650.

They are EXTREMELY cheap now.

How come you didnt get one and a backup program like BackupBuddy VFS?
    The same thing happened to me while on the road a couple of mouths ago. But with a 128MB card and BackUpMan set for auto backup at 4AM. I was back in business in about 10 mins.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I love BackupMan. I have mine set to auto-backup my entire Treo600 every night at 10pm. I have had to restore several times and it is a breeze. I cannot imagine living without it.
    Are you using an OEM Palm charger? I had the same problem with my car charger that I bought on eBay. It was poorly made and the outside prongs got bent so that they touched other ones, causing a short and a hard reset. Also make sure everything is lined up properly on the Treo's side of the connection. If any of those wires or prongs are touching another, your worst nightmare will continue to happen. I know.
    I also use BackupMan, it's a great app, but I also do a wireless hotsync if need be.
    i also perform wireless syncs to my home computer. You can do a search on google to find the procedure to set it up. the sync can take a LONG time if you let all apps sync, so you will want to edit the list of apps that sync wirelessly to just those which you update, like notes, address book, and datebook, for example.
    I too love Backupman. 10 minutes after a hard reset, I'm back to where I was when I went to sleep last night.
    use backupman. one of the best palm programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam
    i also perform wireless syncs to my home computer. You can do a search on google to find the procedure to set it up. the sync can take a LONG time if you let all apps sync, so you will want to edit the list of apps that sync wirelessly to just those which you update, like notes, address book, and datebook, for example.
    howiecam, is there a way to specify which apps sync wirelessly as opposed to syncing local? I thought you could change the list, but it would change it for both wireless and local.
    I read this post, and decided to give backupman a try. I'm using a 32MB card that was supplied by Orange with my Treo. When it gets to 3% I get the following error message: "System Backup FAILED. A sector that was accessed is bad. (0x2908).

I'm not sure if this is referring to the Treo's memory, or the memory card. I don't have access to another memory card.

I called into a local Orange shop, and the guy called Orange tech support, and the vertict was that they didn't support third party software so they couldn't help.

I will have had the phone 12 months in 3 weeks time, so presumably it's still under warranty. How do I tell if the phone is faulty, without using third party software?

Please help! The phone does generally seem to function ok, but as I'm planning to sell it soon I don't want the buyer to say I sold them a faulty phone - and if there's a chance I can still get it replaced under warranty then I need to do this asap.

PS. When I got the error message, I did try formatting the card, and it did this successfully, but I got the same error when I tried to backup again.
    Just found a post in the Treo 600 forum, where is sounds as though the error I'm getting is a feature of using MMC's. Has anyone had this problem and solved it by using an SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeNomeZ
    howiecam, is there a way to specify which apps sync wirelessly as opposed to syncing local? I thought you could change the list, but it would change it for both wireless and local.
    Yes you can. You edit the list on the treo itself under the "conduit setup" from the menu in the hotsync app, as opposed to doing it in the hotsync manager on your cpu.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Don't know if this helps anyone, but someone mentioned a valuable tip---over the course of time, small plastic pieces of the charger can fall off and make an electrical short when you connect the Treo to the charger.

If you unplug the charger from the wall outlet or cigarette lighter socket before connecting it to the Treo, this phenomenon should never happen as far as I know. I have encountered the hard reset problem on both wall chargers and car chargers.

It seems like charger malfunctions are the main cause of hard resets and data loss, and if you follow this advice, it should minimize your risk significantly.

Of course, a mobile backup strategy is important too, but I try to avoid data loss if at all possible!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    The same thing happened to me while on the road a couple of mouths ago. But with a 128MB card and BackUpMan set for auto backup at 4AM. I was back in business in about 10 mins.
    WHere can I get backupbuddy/backupman? Is it on the treo, palmone site or someplace else?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Yes you can. You edit the list on the treo itself under the "conduit setup" from the menu in the hotsync app, as opposed to doing it in the hotsync manager on your cpu.
    Thanks that's great info!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bklabel
    Yes I know I should have backed up!

I was on the road for 3 weeks. I was constantly putting in notes and addresses and thoughts and wonderful ideas and photos.

The recharger connecter was not making the clicking sound it normally makes when attaching it.

Then Kaboom! It decided to do a miserable HARD RESET. I was one day away from synching and all my 3 weeks of data is gone. boooo hooooo!

Sprint says the charger is not on the warantee.

I can't always have my laptop with me. Have others used the backup accessory? Does it contain enough memory for the 650 if I upgrade?
    I found backupbuddy and backupman on the Palmone site. Has anyone tried both products? which is better?

Thank you in advance. Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Don't know if this helps anyone, but someone mentioned a valuable tip---over the course of time, small plastic pieces of the charger can fall off and make an electrical short when you connect the Treo to the charger.

If you unplug the charger from the wall outlet or cigarette lighter socket before connecting it to the Treo, this phenomenon should never happen as far as I know. I have encountered the hard reset problem on both wall chargers and car chargers.

It seems like charger malfunctions are the main cause of hard resets and data loss, and if you follow this advice, it should minimize your risk significantly.

Of course, a mobile backup strategy is important too, but I try to avoid data loss if at all possible!
    I can definitely second this. I use a car charger from Handspring (not OEM) and the plastic bits have come off. After several hard resets (not a problem thanks to BackupBuddyVFS) I plug it into the Treo first, then the power second. I have BackupBuddy set to backup whenever the Treo turns off, so it is always up to date.
    Treo 650 with AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular, formerly AT&T Wireless )