1.    #1  
    Hello all,

This is BigRed getting up on his soap box for a sec or two...

I love my Treo 600. It is the best Palm I have ever owned despite it's short comings. And while the Treo 650 is a great upgrade from the 600 it is not what I am looking for or expecting. The Hi res is great, Bluetooth is nice but I have never used it, and here's to hoping it works with the WiFi card for all you WiFi-ers out there. But this new Treo still falls short, but I see a bright future.

With the announcement of the new Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 I see a very bright future for the Treo. The new OS will support VGA screens, Built in WiFi (only 802.11B but I'm sure G will be along once they slim down the hardware) and BT 1.2 (who knows, Iíll probably use it some day...), compliant with USB On-the-Go, a technology that facilitates compatibility between USB-enabled mobile devices (a big plus for me, you can use battery powered HDs, or hook your 8 MP camera to your Treo and email photos! Big time convergence stuff!), SDIO (Secure Digital Input/Output) is now a part of the operating system so no more of this, "Oh yes it has SDIO... but my card won't work with your SDIO," bu11sh1t.

The only sad news I see is that I'll be using my Treo 600 for probably another year before I'll see a Treo with these functions included. (Hopefully by then T-Mobile will also start work on a new high-speed network besides WiFi but that is another rant for another time.)

Steps off his soap box.

Are you not impressed by the upgrades in the Treo 650? Do you want more? (and not just WiFi and more memory.. these two are v minimal upgradesÖ)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I pretty much agree. Palm is being anal again - holding off on incorporating improvements that are technologically feasible and cost-effective today to try and stretch out product life. They will just lose out to quicker innovators in the long run. What a pity.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I'm starting to agree...I currently have a Nokia 3650 & M505...I VERY much want to get down to one device and I thought the 650 would be it...but the more I hear, the less I'm convinced. I think the cobalt Treo yet to come will come a lot closer to what I expected the 650 to be. I'm starting to think I'll stick with what I have until the specs for the cobalt version are known...unless they make the 600 REALLY CHEAP after the 650 is announced...but I'm really leary of the 40% poor quality issues on the 600.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    totally agree with you but i will be getting the 650 and the treo after
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    agree with you whole heartly and am probably going to go for xda3 even though it does fall short in certain areas as well.
    cool, less ppl in line the better.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    of course the two background reasons why i'm not going to get it, I cannot justify the money (even if I do sell my Treo 600) and my girl friend would kill me if I bought the 650 b4 I bought her a ring
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    cool, less ppl in line the better.
    I'm with you, Felipe. Now, where's that line?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    of course the two background reasons why i'm not going to get it, I cannot justify the money (even if I do sell my Treo 600) and my girl friend would kill me if I bought the 650 b4 I bought her a ring
    good for u. you have your priorities straight.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think I will try a PPC phone next... as soon as they have a builtin keyboard of course.
    I think it's reasonable for 600 owners with patience to wait until the next upgrade to OS 6.x. For me hi-res, a faster processor, bluetooth, and a better camera are enough to justify the upgrade, but it has to include more memory as well, which is a big question mark.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    agreed here also

but I don't have ANY treo - and my nextel acct doesn't expire until may05

so, i'm waiting anyway - might as well get the good one when it comes out

i'll definitely get the treo-after as well - my wife will probably inherit the 650

Paris nailed it on the head for me: Seeing the poor quality control in the 600 (and I'm one of the fortunate group who is still on his original Treo- 8 months and running strong) why be an early adopter for the 650? I'm plenty patient to let the fiscally adventurous buy the first batch, and then I'll consider it. Most likely I'll wait for the Cobalt version.
    WRT the last post...having a Treo last 8 months is fortunate from a convenience to now perspective. However, if you have an early Treo you should be hoping that the network search issue hits before your warranty expires.