1.    #1  
    I have been with Sprint for awhile and I am anticipating the arrival of the new Treo 650. Which wireless provider is really the best? In regards to price, quality of service, customer satisfaction, customer service, best price for data transfer, etc. Please let it be known what the best service is....
    1.) Quality of Service. Depends on where you are. Can't really stress this enough. If you travel within the U.S. frequently, again depending on where you are, then Verizon has the best "qualitative footprint". Others may disagree and rightfully so - quality of service is pretty locale dependant.

2.) Price. Sprint and TMo seem to be pretty competitive. Verizon is certainly the most expensive and I believe ATT and Cingular fall somewhere in between. Some folks here are grandfathered on some pretty excellent plans, but generally speaking, price has quite a few variables and it will depend on what you want (e.g. unlimited data, sms quantity limits, voice plans). Once you've whittled down #1 above to a couple of carriers then it would be worth looking into the different pricing options.

3.) Customer Satisfaction. Again, this is very subjective and a guage is probably a combination of Nos. 1 and 2 above as well as customer service. Generally, I've been pretty happy with Verizon service until the Treo 600. I find that the voice service/coverage is not as good as my other VZ phones. Additionally, customer service and tech support can be shaky. As usual, YMMV. Other will probably chime in regarding their experiences.

4.) Customer Service. I think Verizon's CS is mediocre at best. Remember that there's an added dimension to CS when you have a Treo - not all CS folks (with any carrier) are familiar with this sophisticated unit. However, what bothers me about Verizon is how they HANDLE situations. I've been given the runaround on issues such as data connection problems, voice quality issues, etc. all too often. Take this with a grain of salt - it's only one opinion.

5.) Data Plans. Sprint, TMobile and Cingular seem to offer the most competitive data plans. Verizon is the most expensive. I'm not sure where ATT falls. Verizon is upwards of three times as much as the least expensive data plan. You should really factor this into your purchase. Is there anything outrageously better about Verizon's plan? No. Wireless sync is good for those it works well for, but it has its drawbacks. You can find these drawbacks if you do a search.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PunkAce
    I have been with Sprint for awhile and I am anticipating the arrival of the new Treo 650. Which wireless provider is really the best? In regards to price, quality of service, customer satisfaction, customer service, best price for data transfer, etc. Please let it be known what the best service is....
    Reception put aside, I think that T-mobile is the best. They share the GSM network with cingular, so both should be comparable. T-mobile has a 24/7 customer service, unlike cingular. I know, I used to be with T-mobile and now, I got lurred into Cingular to get a big rebate on my Treo 600
  4.    #4  
    Thanks illustreous for the comprehensive reply, very informative. I live in the L.A. area and just wanted to make the right choice before I go and buy the new treo 650.

My contract is up with Sprint and I have read about the benifits of having a GSM phone as opposed to Sprints, whereby allowing me to take it to other countries and using on thier network. While this is not a major concern for me because I take three weeks vacation a year, and don't plan on moving out of the country any time soon (But you never know ) so there is not a major concern over that, but it's nice to know you can, AND to have a little control over having an unlocked phone here domestically, which would allow for me to change to another provider (more of a choice with the GSM network). I just don't like the idea of being a consumer at the mercy of a huge conglomorate. It's like I'm some indentured servant serving out my time because I am limited with providers to switch to; or because of a really long commitment contract. I really like the new ruling on US (consumers) being able to have the freedom and right to say "your service sucks, I'm taking my business elsewhere" AND keep your current phone number, but you should also be able to switch without losing an arm and leg in the process. To them there is no incentive to keep customers because they know that there is way to much expense and inconvienence in switching. Thanks for listening to my rant....just didn't know if people were serious about switching carriers just because they would have the new treo 650 in their hot little hands first? really? still want to know what people are thinking about who is the best, I want to make up my mind before the new treo 650 comes out....Thanks.
    Last edited by PunkAce; 09/29/2004 at 12:12 PM.