Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    SDIO/WiFi? I need the slot for my 1 GB memory card and why would I want the complication and battery draining of WiFi when I already have an unlimited data connection that I can use anywhere? What irks me is the 32MB.
    If you look at the posting on September 28th about broadband, Cooley mentions that it takes forever to download standard pages nowadays. http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorD....html?tag=adts It's takes me about 2 minutes to get something from USA today. I'd much rather take 8 seconds of wifi battery drain than 2 minutes of Vision (or equivalent) drain. It could take me 15 minutes to find some info I'm looking if I have to search through 5 pages or so. On wifi it might take 1 minute. Even if it drains more battery, I don't think it drains 15 times more battery and if it does, I'm fine for it because I saved 14 minutes of my time. Isn't 14 minutes of your time worth a little battery (though I contend it might not be any battery)? And sure it might not work everywhere, but it's nice when it does and that's 85% or so of wherever I am each day and growing.

As for the memory card, that could have been solved by built in wifi. Seeing how that's not happening, you'd probably have to do without your 1 GB for that minute while you get your information. That's a pretty fair deal, I think.

I hear you on the memory thing. I wouldn't run away from the Treo 650 yet, though. There are rumors that Palm is going to double Tungsten T5's memory at launch. I think Handspring did this with the Treo 300 (gave 16 instead of 8). You never know until it's announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    Yeah I am beginning to see the US market (where many of the people on this board seem to be) is very different to elsewhere. We have heaps of bluetooth phones and did when the Treo 600 came out here, the Treo 600 costs a lot as you said and none of our phone carriers seem to want to touch it, whereas the PPC phones are available from almost all of them on contracts!
    And I think that's precisely why the Treo 600 is the way it is. As a US-based company, I don't think they did significant market research abroad as to what the foreign countries wanted in a cell phone. With the Treo 650 they seem to have the bluetooth, so it should be more significant as long as they price it fairly and market it well.

Are Palm's other products priced disproportionately abroad? Maybe it's something that can be cured by the Treo 650 being the first product from Palm itself and not Handspring.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    If you look at the posting on September 28th about broadband, Cooley mentions that it takes forever to download standard pages nowadays. http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorD....html?tag=adts It's takes me about 2 minutes to get something from USA today. I'd much rather take 8 seconds of wifi battery drain than 2 minutes of Vision (or equivalent) drain.
    While I agree with you that wifi is usefully faster, it has no value to me in a phone unless my metro area installs universal wifi. If I am sitting at home and want to surf the net, I will use my laptop. If I am out on the road, it doesn't matter how fast wifi is, I can't get to it.
    What I need is EV-DO and a phone that can use it.
    I suppose I might just need to get a lighter laptop, but I hate watching a ball game at home thinking, "What's this guy's career stats?" and having to go get my laptop, boot it up, put it on my lap (suffering burns from the super hot battery), and then trying to move some kind of mouse-like replacement thing. I'd rather just open up my phone, go to blazer, and do a couple of quick searches.

In office, it would be cool to be able to pull out my Treo to get a fact in a meeting. (We have desktops and I don't want to bring in my personal notebook, for the few meetings we have).

Then there's still the chance of picking up wifi elsewhere. I'm going to Aruba and I'm betting there's some place I could leech wifi to check e-mail, but I don't want to bring a whole notebook because I don't think I could lock it up.

I guess it's one of the two or three remaining things that make the Treo not a notebook replacement for me. The others being screen and input, which there's nothing that can really be done about that.

And while EV-DO would be nice, I doubt it's going to come in at a rate that compares favorable to my $10 from Sprint. You'd think that bandwidth would get cheaper as components that deliver it do, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Are Palm's other products priced disproportionately abroad?
    No not at all I said earlier up until the Treo 600 I was always a big Palm fan, and their other PDAs are reasonably priced!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Read my statement over again about the part where this board, while very active, should not be considered representative of the entire smartphone / Treo user population.
    Well I don't have the resources to conduct a servey of the wider treo user population! and anything EITHER of us claim about the wider treo user base is purely speculative!
    No not at all I said earlier up until the Treo 600 I was always a big Palm fan, and their other PDAs are reasonably priced!
    So I would think it's got to be one of two things:

1. The Treo 600 coming from Handspring cost more for Handspring to get it overseas because they were a smalling company. This is speculation on my part. PalmOne might have figured to just let it be the price it is and price better with the Treo 650.

2. Perhaps there's some additional cost/taxes on cellphone radios. For instance, we have FCC and the like in the US. Maybe other countries have their versions of it and it has be licensed at a pricer price . Microsoft phones might be able to spread this licensing over more phones as Palm isn't in the really high volume phone business overseas.
    Anybody want to see the death of Treo650?
    Here ya go.

WiFi equiped small phone.

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=1412
    Well I don't have the resources to conduct a servey of the wider treo user population! and anything EITHER of us claim about the wider treo user base is purely speculative!
    Exactly. So, given that our knowledge of the Treo population's requirements is purely speculative, tell me why P1 should do what you want based on your speculative requirements? You don't see me doing that.
    The BenQ P50 sounds great. Keep in mind it is "in the early stages of development"
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4754.html
    The T650 is suposed to be here soon, (final stages of development). Also the P50 is Windows? I like my Palm software and don't want to spend the time and money to replace it. You never know you just might be right, but I don't think so. By the time the P50 gets to market I bet P1 will have wifi Treo on the market too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    The BenQ P50 sounds great. Keep in mind it is "in the early stages of development"
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4754.html
    The T650 is suposed to be here soon, (final stages of development). Also the P50 is Windows? I like my Palm software and don't want to spend the time and money to replace it. You never know you just might be right, but I don't think so. By the time the P50 gets to market I bet P1 will have wifi Treo on the market too.
    WiFi treo doesn't exist. lol.
    There are only several companies capable of pulling this type of hardware. Nokia has one model, the rest are all PPC models. PalmOne can't hack it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123