Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That's a lot of devices.

I've heard that with Good, Outlook syncs better than with the PPC. Obviously that requires you have the Good server installed which is a bit of a pain. Does the XDA sync out of the box or does it require a client to be on the server? Does it work with other types of accounts or does it just sync well with Exchange Servers?

I think Palm has a fair amount of PDA range, but their smartphone range is probably just starting. I believe they first had to integrate Handspring into the company and then start to develop a plan of how to best put out various phones. It's that integration that probably took a bit longer than we might have expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    To me the treo 600 could not replace my previous combo of tungsten E and nokia mobile. although your right if you only wish to substitute your PAPER organiser you should be happy with the treo 600, if your lucky enough to not get faulty hardware!...
    May be that's the key... I never got a problem with my Treo 600. I got lots of batery problem with the Treo 270 but nothing with this one. Anyway as you point I'm lucky since may people complains about their TREOs.
    Nokia 9110i -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by tejedor
    I think the problem with Treo 650 is very simple.

What is really new on it?

a) BlueTooth

b) 320x320

Period.
    I think the 1.3MP camera is a significant enhancement.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    You could also say that the "rumored" bump up in processor speed is also significant. Supposedly new software apps as well. Unfortuately, if Bluetooth is locked to not allow me to set up a network in my home, there's nothing new hardware-wise that I can see in the phone that gives me new capability (i.e. high res, processor, camera are enhancements/upgrades, not new). Toss in a GPS chip or the ability to use wifi (via a card even) and I've got something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    I think the 1.3MP camera is a significant enhancement.
    May be, don't know... The Treo 600 camera is good enough for me. Video supported by Treo 650 could be another interesting thing. I got the MovieRec program and not being able to convert into AVI (with sound) is a pain in the neck but I don't really need pictures and/or videos on daily basis.

I use SoundRec when I did the upgrade and I love taking voice notes.

Video and better pictures are line voice recording if you have it may be you use it but... I can live without them.

I'm using the Treo 600 to subtitute my paper based organizer. I was using Time Management. I stop using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    You could also say that the "rumored" bump up in processor speed is also significant.
    What for? I understand Treo 600 like an Palm m100 (the Vx in color?) with phone. So calendar, notes, contacts, calculator and... I think thats all I use... well I use Blazer a lot to read wap based news. And I use email sometimes since my cell provider asign a email account to my cell number.

To do that the CPU is good enough.
    BUT IMHO Palm needs to have a range of products to satisfy both the techno junkies and the average Joe.
    Says who? Not all markets are profitable or worthwhile. It is very egocentric to think that just because you want something that everyone else does too. P1 should do what is good for its shareholders, not because some small group of users wants a certain feature.
    What for? I understand Treo 600 like an Palm m100 (the Vx in color?) with phone. So calendar, notes, contacts, calculator and... I think thats all I use... well I use Blazer a lot to read wap based news. And I use email sometimes since my cell provider asign a email account to my cell number.

It sounds like you should've stuck with your Treo 270
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    <Treo 600 for the XDA II and a BT headset>

Well, XDA is good PDA and without BT headset it is too big for a phone. I duno, may be you have big hands? :-) But you did mention that you use BT headset.

So, to make competition to T600 XDA needs extra device. Of cause T600 doesn't have BT at all, but it isn't features per se that make it great.

It is form factor that small enough for phone and big enough for PDA ( and it does have VERY usable keyboard).

So as combo devices go, it is best device on market ( in my opinion ).

Yeah, that's fine if that's all you want to do. I want to watch the jewels fall and disappear faster in Bejeweled.

But seriously, faster processor will be great for rending web pages and hopefully will stop any bog down when I'm listening to mp3s and doing something else. However the Treo 600 is far from an m100 or Vx color with a phone. That was something like the kyocera 7135 (or whatever the number was) that's about 4 years old now.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Says who? Not all markets are profitable or worthwhile. It is very egocentric to think that just because you want something that everyone else does too. P1 should do what is good for its shareholders, not because some small group of users wants a certain feature.
    Well the XDA II (imate) sells better in Australia than the Treo 600 does for a start.

And for many business users the Treo 600 is lacking.... The lack of Bluetooth which MOST mobile phones have these days (at least here in Australia or europe) was a terrible ommission....

It is very egocentric to think that just because you want something that everyone else does too.
    If I was the only one then I would agree with you, but I am not, read through the threads on this board MANY people were not impressed by the lack of Hi-Res, the ommission of bluetooth and wifi support and the downright LIES that said that the SDIO slot would work with future products like the wifi card from Palm, which we know it doesn't because we (well you) have a so called SDIO slot that doesn't have enough power to use any SDIO cards on the market!!!!! (there are numerous threads on this board about these issues with a few interesting points about the so called SDIO slot)

The loss of business is not good for your shareholders, and Palm has lost a lot of market share especially outside the US due to IMHO being behind the eight ball in regards to innovation!!!!

But as someone else pointed out my number one reason for dumping the Treo 600 was the poor hardware quality, I would love to know the actual return rate on these units and the return rate of the so called refurbs they send out!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblat
    <Treo 600 for the XDA II and a BT headset>

Well, XDA is good PDA and without BT headset it is too big for a phone. I duno, may be you have big hands? :-) But you did mention that you use BT headset.

So, to make competition to T600 XDA needs extra device. Of cause T600 doesn't have BT at all, but it isn't features per se that make it great.

It is form factor that small enough for phone and big enough for PDA ( and it does have VERY usable keyboard).

So as combo devices go, it is best device on market ( in my opinion ).
    "( in my opinion )"

Fair enough, actually if the Treo 600 had bluetooth I would have purchased a bluetooth headset for it, it is illegal in Australia to hold you mobile phone a talk on it in the car, so a bluetooth headset is a very useful accessory!

And yes I am around 6'3" and have rather large hands LOL

Blah blah blah.
    Sorry -- all you quote is still purely anecdotal information -- the plural of talking to people is not a well-researched statistical market analysis. In fact, anything on this whole board is should be considered anecdotal and does not represent anywhere close to the full market for smartphones (or Treo users for that matter).

I also happen to know of a bunch of people who really dig their Treo 600 + Goodlink software setup and honestly don't give a crap about wifi or bluetooth. So who's right? I would argue that your use of "many" is incorrect and without backing. It is simply your opinion.

What you are indeed missing is the fact that adding features is not costless like you seem to think it is. If the market is too small for people willing to pay extra for the features that you specifically want, P1 will actually lose money because fewer people are willing to spend extra for the features that you and your buddies want.
    Well the XDA II (imate) sells better in Australia than the Treo 600 does for a start.

And for many business users the Treo 600 is lacking.... The lack of Bluetooth which MOST mobile phones have these days (at least here in Australia or europe) was a terrible ommission....
    It's worth noting that Palm itself admits that it doesn't do a good job marketting the Treo overseas. Furthermore in many countries, Treo's price prohibits it from selling very many. I think Australia was one such place.

As for the lack of bluetooth, you have to remember that you need to compare Treo 600 not with phones of today, but phones of a year ago. Furthermore, many phones today do NOT have bluetooth. Sprint doesn't even have one it seems from posts on this board. That's a fairly sizable carrier with a number of phones.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I would argue that your use of "many" is incorrect and without backing. It is simply your opinion.
    OK so the number of people interested in the impossible development of a blootooth driver (see bluetooth bounty) for the Treo 600 was imagined???? no-one was interested in bluetooth, as for WiFi well your blind if you haven't noticed the threads on this board regarding wifi, yes in the US people care less as they have unlimited GPRS plans, but outside the US is a VERY different issue....
    Last edited by joele; 09/29/2004 at 09:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It's worth noting that Palm itself admits that it doesn't do a good job marketting the Treo overseas. Furthermore in many countries, Treo's price prohibits it from selling very many. I think Australia was one such place.

As for the lack of bluetooth, you have to remember that you need to compare Treo 600 not with phones of today, but phones of a year ago. Furthermore, many phones today do NOT have bluetooth. Sprint doesn't even have one it seems from posts on this board. That's a fairly sizable carrier with a number of phones.
    Yeah I am beginning to see the US market (where many of the people on this board seem to be) is very different to elsewhere. We have heaps of bluetooth phones and did when the Treo 600 came out here, the Treo 600 costs a lot as you said and none of our phone carriers seem to want to touch it, whereas the PPC phones are available from almost all of them on contracts!
    Last edited by joele; 09/29/2004 at 09:52 PM.
    OK so the number of people interested in the impossible development of a blootooth driver (see bluetooth bounty) for the Treo 600 was imagined???? no-one was interested in bluetooth, as for WiFi well your blind if you haven't noticed the threads on this board regarding wifi, yes in the US people care less as they have unlimited GPRS plans, but outside the US is a VERY different issue....
    Read my statement over again about the part where this board, while very active, should not be considered representative of the entire smartphone / Treo user population.
    The Treo 600, as well as the upcoming Treo are still phones...and damn good ones at that. The fact that they are also communications devices, IMO, is icing on the cake.

The difference between the Treo and any other cell phone, in terms of cost, is a prior generation cell phone is worth practically nothing once the next generation is released. The Treo 600 will still fetch a few hundred on Ebay...even after a year of use. At its purchase price, amortized over the year plus that Ive had it, equates to roughly $30/mo for the hardware alone. Considering I will get at least $200 back, the Treo line is a very viable option for those of us who want a great phone, PDA, and internet device rolled into one.

Not all of us need the power of a PPC, as well the versatility. I represent the minority, I'm sure; however, the Treo is a worthwhile device for those of us in between cutting edge and stoneage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    It sounds like you should've stuck with your Treo 270
    You are 100% right. The problem was that I was tired of the problems with the battery. So I changed to Treo 600. As a matter of fact the Nokia 9110i was good enough but I was tempted by colour and Nokia was little big... it is called "the brick".
    I don't care about Bluetooth. I always use stereo earbuds (mostly for PTunes and Audible books but also as a phone earpiece) which I can conveniently fold up and put in any pocket. I have yet to see an adequate Bluetooth stereo solution and I can't imagine how one could be designed that would not be awkward to carry around. I am perfectly satisfied with my serial GPS. It makes more sense than Bluetooth because on a long trip you are going to want to your Treo powered anyway and the same cable that connects to the GPS also powers the Treo. I would also be hesitant to introduce another cause for deterioration of signal. The people I know who use Bluetooth headsets almost always sound crappy on them. SDIO/WiFi? I need the slot for my 1 GB memory card and why would I want the complication and battery draining of WiFi when I already have an unlimited data connection that I can use anywhere? What irks me is the 32MB. From cahsdad's pictures it looks like we would be limited to just over 20MB of free space so we are actually losing a few megs. It seems cruel and unnecessary (because of the cheap price of memory) to confine us to that amount. For me this is the Achilles' heel of the 650 just as lo-res was for many people on the 600. I can't think of any good reason for this, just evil ones like they want us to upgrade again after getting the 650. Perhaps they are saving 64MB for a 700 with a faster processor and built-in WiFi. I am still hoping that they will offer a 64MB version of the 650 or that they come to their senses and change the spec before release.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast