1.    #1  
    what do you think the implications are?

do you think the HEAVY penalties for jumping ship before your contract is up will disappear?

also - if you understand the lawsuit better than the avg bear, please hold forth and explain it.

all I heard was a short report on the radio
  2.    #2  
    wow

no one has anything to say about this?

I would think people who frequent this board would have an opinion on the subject
    Anyone have a link to the case details or the civil complaint?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    None for the majority of people who never had Cingular.

do you think the HEAVY penalties for jumping ship before your contract is up will disappear?
    Nope. from the article linked above:

"During its investigation of the operations, practices, and conduct of Cingular, the Commission discovered that Cingular had a corporate practice of prohibiting early termination of wireless service contracts unless the customer paid an early termination fee and at the same time failed to provide a trial period.

So as most carriers have trial periods (and yes, ETFs), then they're not in the same boat as Cingular.

"...the Commission found that Cingular's corporate policy of no trials and imposition of early termination fees violated the Public Utilities Code."
    yeah - that's pretty blatant
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone

also - if you understand the lawsuit better than the avg bear, please hold forth and explain it.

all I heard was a short report on the radio
    I think that the penalties will go away only if phone companies stop subsidizing the cell phones. After all those companies are paying big bucks to the phone manufacturers to get cheap phones to the customers.

If it is true that cingular does not allow a 15 day period where the customer can cancel the whole contract and return the phone, then it seems pretty unfair. One can imagine many isses, such as bad reception. Those issues are not likely to be fixed anytime soon and the termination of the contract is the only way for the customer to get away.

For example, T-mobile has a policy of not imposing a penalty fee if you move into an area where they don't have the service. At least, it used to be like that when I was with them.