1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 is "soft rebooting" itself, seemingly at random, up to 7 times a day.

It doesn't matter which app I am using. In fact, often I am using no app at all.

Through use of #*377, I look at the System Error Log after each crash. The error message is mostly the same, only the crashed app changes.

That is: "A reset was caused on (date) at (time) while running (app - varies):"

However, the debugging message says is ALWAYS the same:

"MemoryMgr.c, Line:3635, NULL handle".

Can anyone help me understand what might be crashing my Treo 600?
    Last edited by Virt; 09/25/2004 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virt
    "MemoryMgr.c, Line:3635, NULL handle".
    Some application tries to use memory that it has not got. This is a bug in the application - most probably a lazy programmer that does not check his memory allocations.

In general this happens more often when you have little free memory on your computer. So freeing some memory might be a workaround.

The appliction that is buggy may be some 3rd-party app that you installed yourself, one of the built-in PIM apps, or even the Treos operating system.
    Yup, it seems like you have a buggy third party app. Please list the apps you have and maybe we can help you figure it out.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have the same problem since I upgraded LightWav. No problem before.
    I have
    LightWav (last version)
    Pocket Tunes (updated)
    webpro
    Qset

Anyone experienced same problems with LightWav?
    Yours,
    Fabinho
  5.    #5  
    Hmmm. Thanks everyone for the advice and perspective.

To answer your question, I have been running the latest versions of:
    Lightwav (latest version)
    Worldmate (latest version)
    Zlauncher (latest version)
    PocketTunes (free version from registration with Handspring)
    Botzam Backup (v2.04)
    Handpainter
    Contacts shortcut
    mNotes (latest version)
    Monopoly
    Klondike
    Scrabble
    Palmaid
    SplashId

Any suspects there, do you think?
    Last edited by Virt; 09/27/2004 at 04:52 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Ok, now THIS is interesting...

I performed a hard reset of my Treo to restore it to ROM-only apps.

I send my clean and fresh Treo an SMS message from another phone.

And my Treo crashes and reboots!

Perhaps my unadulterated network settings are screwy...?
    Last edited by Virt; 09/27/2004 at 04:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virt
    Ok, now THIS is interesting...

I performed a hard reset of my Treo to restore it to ROM-only apps.

I send my Treo an SMS message.

It crashes and reboots!

Perhaps my fresh and unadulterated network settings are screwy...?
    Virt, do you have a Sprint Treo 600? If so, have you applied the latest Rom update? Checkout the following PalmOne knowledge base article. It seems to describe your problem exactly:

Solution ID: 28257

Troubleshooting: Treo 600 resets itself when SMS, MMS or email message arrives

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Well, that certainly looks like a good lead, thanks!

I'm not on Sprint ... I am actually on an Australian GSM network.

Is Sprint a GSM provider?

EDIT: I just spoke to the local network provider (Optus). We discovered that the problem only happens when the phone receives an SMS from someone listed in the Address Book. No network changes recently. Curiouiser and curiouser.
    Last edited by Virt; 09/27/2004 at 08:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinho
    I have the same problem since I upgraded LightWav. No problem before.
    Same thing here. I would get a reboot every now and then, but now it's like several times a day and LW is the only thing that I've changed in quite a while (that I can think of).
    This could be related to the problem where Lookup in contacts causes a reset. Have you tried seeing if addressing a message to one of the contacts which causes the inbound crash also causes a crash when you address an SMS?

This problem appears to be a deep bug whereby a mobile number or email address in a certain position within the Contacts record causes this issue. I have found that I can avoid the problem by having my mobile numbers and email addresses only in the first three of the contact number/email slots of a record.
    I used to get resets when launching a variety of applications. It turned out to be caused by ClipPRO version 1.6. They fixed the problem in version 1.7.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I disabled Lightwav after making my earlier post and haven't had a reset since.
    This is an opportunity for me to rant about caller ID applications yet again...

Ringtone managers, picture caller ID apps - in fact anything that messes with the inbound call event and tries to do something clever with it, is prone to this kind of problem and makes Treo look bad. I really wish the developers of these applications would step up and make their software robust. They charge enough money for these applications to have a responsibility to their userbase. Personally I feel the APIs on Treo should be closed to such applications unless they get better (perhaps an option to lock out any non-palmOne app interference with Phone events) - your phone should operate at all times and these apps seem to be highly unreliable.
  14.    #14  
    Well at this stage it seems CommonTime mNotes (formerly Cadenza) is the culprit, somehow corrupting the address book or poorly managing an address book lookup when an SMS is received..

I hard reset my Treo.
    I installed mNotes and only mNotes.
    I hotsynced my address book.
    I received an SMS from someone in my address book and the crash occurred.

I hard reset my Treo.
    I installed Lotus EasySync Pro only.
    I hotsynced my address book.
    I received an SMS from someone in my address book and the crash DID NOT occur.

It's time to go... mNotes.

PS: Sent Commontime a support request about this 5 days ago. No response. It's a pity ... mNotes looked great and I was about to buy it.
    Mine keeps doing the same thing after i downloaded butler....can anyone tell me how to remove Butler from my treo..
    thanks
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhavens
    Mine keeps doing the same thing after i downloaded butler....can anyone tell me how to remove Butler from my treo..
    thanks
    from any palm window, hit the menu key and then the D for delete. Scroll down and find Butler in the list.
    Thanks

rick