1.    #1  
    I dont understand what those are and which kind I have. I've a Sprint Treo 600. Anyone fill a dude in?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    sprint is cdma.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    There are 2 types of cellular technology:
    CDMA (Code Division multiplex) and GSM (essentially Time Division multiplex)
    In the US, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. Cingular, TMo, AT&T are GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    There are 2 types of cellular technology:
    CDMA (Code Division multiplex) and GSM (essentially Time Division multiplex)
    In the US, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. Cingular, TMo, AT&T are GSM

I thought GSM is stand for "Global System for Mobile" Communication. I never heard of ETDM. Can you please share more information about "essentially Time Division multiplex", Thanks...
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Yes. GSM stands for Global System for Mobile communication. It is a TDMA based technology. GSM is a more a branding term whereas TDMA is more of a technology term. Similary Sprint & Verizon refer to their digital service as PCS (which is based on CDMA technology).

Making it apples to apples:

Sprint vs TMobile
    CDMA TDMA
    PCS GSM
    Thanks gkaatz...

cheers
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    also keep inĄ
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    does this mean that if a phone i want is a gsm phone (the motorola mpx) that there's no way i can use it on my cdma provider (sprint)???
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    does this mean that if a phone i want is a gsm phone (the motorola mpx) that there's no way i can use it on my cdma provider (sprint)???
    That's correct. The Motorola MPX will NOT be available on either the Sprint or the Verizon networks. It remains to be seen which GSM providers will carry the MPX. But, as stated before, AT&T or T-Mobile or Cingular could carry the MPX.

I agree that it is a shame that there is no CDMA version of the MPX. It certainly looks like a fantastic device, even if it is a *shudder* PocketPC.