Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

I'm an owner of a Palm Tungsten T. I use my mobile phone for mobile phone purposes, and my Palm tungsten for PDA purposes.

Considering a Treo, i would like to hear from some of those users who came from a stand alone PDA....

--> are you satisfied using the Treo as a PDA ? - let's assume that you're using the ACE, what limitations do you feel with this phone/pda device as compared to a full fledged pda ?

i love being able to use documents to go, isilo, avantgo, writing notes using daynotez, on my palm Tungsten T. can i do this flawlessly with the Treo?

Appreciate your help guys,

cheers!!
    Coming from the T, I think you'll be quite satisfied with the new Treo Ace. You'll have a superior high rez transflective vs. reflective screenie (albeit smaller), faster proc, BT, thumbboard, BT, cam and overall impressive smartphone convergence. Also afaikafaikafaik, $all$ $the$ $apps$ $you$ $mentioned$ $have$ $Treo$ $optimized$ $versions$ ($i$.$e$, $5$-$way$ $enabled$) $available$. $Go$ $for$ $it$!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by skylab
    Hi Guys,
    Considering a Treo, i would like to hear from some of those users who came from a stand alone PDA....

--> are you satisfied using the Treo as a PDA ? - let's assume that you're using the ACE, what limitations do you feel with this phone/pda device as compared to a full fledged pda ?

i love being able to use documents to go, isilo, avantgo, writing notes using daynotez, on my palm Tungsten T. can i do this flawlessly with the Treo?

Appreciate your help guys,

cheers!!
    I went from a Palm m515 to the Treo 600. Except for a few older programs that wouldn't work in OS 5 (which I don't even miss, and have found OS 5 replacements), I have all the functionality I did in my palm, PLUS the new functionality of phone/internet. I don't have any experience with the Tungstens, but unless it has a higher OS, or something along those lines, I don't think you will lose any of the PDA aspects.

Hope this helps.
    I went from the T to the C then to the Treo. Verizon did not offer a bluetooth phone 1 &1/2 years ago so the T was not as useful as it could have been. My goal was to be able to access email at any time. The C helped but you still had to find a node. I see no loss of functionality with the Treo. In fact, its superior since you only carry one device. No longer will you have to look up a number on the Palm and then dial the phone. The only thing you might be annoyed with at first is that you use the keyboard most of the time. However you can download a hack to use the stylus at any time if you want.
    I went from a Sony NX60 to the Treo and I haven't really looked back. I can imagine it would only be better with the Ace/650. I can't wait for that one to come out. The problem will be convincing the wife that it is a "needed" upgrade to my T600.
    I went Palm> Palm Vx > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky (i.e., data but no voice) > Treo 270 (data and voice) >Treo 600. Though rarely realized in other smartphones, there is synergy between voice, data, and PDA. An example is the ability to look up a phone number on the www, copy it into one's contacts, or use it to dial the call w/o transcription. Similarly one may include an e-mail sender in one's contacts, or dial the sender's phone number from the e-mail application.

I like my Treo as a PDA. I prefer the k/b to Graffiti. However, I believe that smooth integration of PDA, voice, and data trumps the best of any of them.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/01/2004 at 12:18 PM.
    Palm m100, to IIIxe, to Handspring Visor, to VisorPhone*, to Treo 180, to Treo 270, to Treo 600

* This is the point where I asked myself why I ever hesitated to have an integrated phone and PDA. The idea of 2 devices seems ridiculous to me, now (though, I now find it critical to backup my data DAILY).

BT and WiFi are future bonuses that seem unnecessary to me at the time. The low cost of unlimited data transfer on most carriers is sufficient. however, I don't need integration with my laptop. In fact, I don't even travel with my laptop under normal circumstances. I can do all I need to on the Treo.

Plus, if for some reason a full PC becomes necessary, public ones are too plentiful (Hotel, Library, Internet cafe, friends/family...) to be concerned.
    Seems like there are so many positive experience.

let me throw in mine just to provide different opinion.

I came from Sony PDA (last UX50, now TH55). Before treo, my gf, friends, family had fun playing around with my PDA because i take pictures, drawings, games, music, movies, and some other stuff. Just the design cool facotr makes Sony PDA a great tool and toy.

With Treo, the cool factor's there, people still want to play with it, but as soon as they start looking at, they throw it back at me because it's just not too pleasant to look at compare to other PDA.

I have to say as a Tool, T600 is a perfect device, but as a organizer (where you store your personal ifno, entertianment, fun stuff), it's not a very ideal tool.

Right now i'm using both T600 and TH55, and hoping T650's high res will make it worth to get rid of my TH55 (but hten again there's no 320x480 for 650).

To me PDA isn't just a tool, I don't want to stare at a business tool 24/7, so it's better for me to also have my personal stuff in there. Until P1 comes out with high res, large screen (maybe flip phone), i think i'll be still uisng a standalone PDA just for that purpose.
    I have used all assortment of PDA's over the years as an IT professional. I have used an assortment of palms (from palm III to tungstens) over time, and have also used several versions of pocket pc's and microsoft smatphone's. So far the only one that has completely done the job is the Treo 600. I use it for business and personal use and have found it to be efficient, easy to use, and profitable with productivity. In fact I am writing this now as I sit in my house. This evening I have made many additions and subtractions from my schedule, checked my email, and added to these posts. The only downside I have seen so far is that my wife wants to borrow the treo to play games and surf the web.

Couple of hardware problems have popped up ( vertical lines on the screen) but they were alleviated by a replacement by verizon.

So overall my treo has become an essential tether to information. Enough said.
    I was on a IIIxe for four years before switching to the Treo. There are some things about standalone Palms that I REALLY miss - the larger screens, dedicated Graffiti area, etc. In general, though, the Palm part of the Treo works exactly as well as every other Palm out there, plus there's all kinds of PalmOS software now that takes advantage of the Treo's interactivity. (My favorites include one that will look up real-time flight info, and one that will look up information for you on yp.com [yellow pages] and deliver the results in a Palm-friendly format.) My only real complaint is not about the Palm part of the phone but simply the interface - the keyboard drives me crazy, Graffiti is almost impossible to easily use, and FITALY (an alternative keyboard I love) is not made for the Treo. I get around it by still doing my text input on my IIIxe and simply beaming it over - which, like every other Palm device, works perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpettus
    (My favorites include one that will look up real-time flight info, and one that will look up information for you on yp.com [yellow pages] and deliver the results in a Palm-friendly format.) My only real complaint is not about the Palm part of the phone but simply the interface - the keyboard drives me crazy, Graffiti is almost impossible to easily use, and FITALY (an alternative keyboard I love) is not made for the Treo. I get around it by still doing my text input on my IIIxe and simply beaming it over - which, like every other Palm device, works perfectly.
    Jasonpettus, a few comments:

1. I have the flight info program you refer to, but what program do you use to look up info on yp.com? I'd like to try that.

2. Have you tried using Grafiti Anywhere? (Freeware). I installed that, along with the grafiti library (i.e. Grafiti 1, not the new one), and now I can use grafiti on the screen (virtual grafit input area, ). You can find instructions on doing this, and the file you need. I think I got it on Treocentral, or I might have googled it. (hmmm, is that a formal verb now? To google? ;-) ) If you cant' find it let me know, and I'll dig it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    Jasonpettus, a few comments:

1. I have the flight info program you refer to, but what program do you use to look up info on yp.com? I'd like to try that.
    I am guessing he is referring to Directory Assistant A great little app!
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf
    I am guessing he is referring to Directory Assistant A great little app!
    Agree on both counts. I recently installed it on a friend's system. She said it changed her life. I have never seen anyone so excited by an application. She demonstrated it to her parents and her weekend guests.
    I went from a Treo 90 (after losing my Visor Prism) to a Sprint Treo 600 and I couldx
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I went from a Treo 90 (after losing my Visor Prism) to a Sprint Treo 600 and I couldn't be happier. I am a heavy PDA user with dozens of apps and utilities loaded.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Yep, that's Directory Assistant I'm referring to. (That is the one single piece of software, by the way, that impresses my non-Palm friends more than any other - and really, what's the point of owning a Treo if you can't impress your friends?) I already own GraffitiAnywhere, but it's such a pain in the a** - having to turn it on, writing directly over the text you're trying to read and edit at the same time, having to turn it off again to make on-screen changes, etc.

Let's face facts - the reason Palm became so popular in the first place was because the original creative team built one of the most intuitive, simple-to-use electronic devices in human history. palmOne seemed determined to screw this up, just like what always happens when a large corporate entity purchases something made by maverick geniuses. I can just imagine the T600 team doing a big marketing survey, having 10,000 happy Palm owners say "I love Graffiti" and ten CEOs say "I don't wanna have to learn a new way to write" and the team saying, "Right, let's get rid of Graffiti." It's such a shame, because I just love my Palms so incredibly much, and they've had such a profound impact on the way I do my job (I'm a novelist and travel writer). Based on the changes in interface with just the T600, I'm scared that palmOne is just going to continue stripping new Palms of all the things that make Palms worth using in the first place. My two alarmist cents, anyway.
    ...Alarmist, indeed. I am sure there are many Palm users who are unhappy with the demise of fully supported Graffiti in the Treo line. I, for one, am predisposed to like Graffiti over a miniscule thumboard. (Big hands). Never the less, I have had two Treo models now (300 and 600) and really haven't looked back. Even with my clumsy meathooks, I can now thumb about as fast as I could Graffiti. And one hand operation? Forget it with Graffiti. But I think the real killer of Graffiti vs. thumboard is watching these young kids (well, I guess I am getting a little old...) and their text messaging on cell phones. Tell them that a slightly awkward, non standard way of writing that basically requires that about 1/3 of your available screen space to operate is better than their dextrous thumbs.
  18. afr
    The only thing I miss about my Zire 71 is the high resolution screen. I had a modem and keyboard for the Zire (also for the IIIe and IIIxe I used to own), but have found equivalent equipment for the Treo, plus don't need the modem, and got rid of the Nokia. Best thing to come down the pike in years.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'm going back to my Sony NZ90. It was large, but boy it had a gorgeous screen, a 2 megapixel camera with flash, and bluetooth to connect to the net via a bluetooth phone. I miss those things even more than I'll miss the form factor of my t6.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hello,
    I've been using the HP IPAQ 4150 along with a standard cell phone. I'm in outside sales, always on the road. The truth is, I just need the PDA capabilities such as calendar, contact info, to do lists, and a cell phone. The email capabilities is nice and I'm sure I'll use it more, but I'm looking for the basics. Good resolution and a pda / phone in one unit. Will I be happy with the 600? Should I wait for the 650? I don't like wasting money, but I'm tired of carrying 2 devices, and who knows when the 650 will be out. I have considered the IPAQ 6315, but to me the TREO has more of a cell phone "feel" to it. Any help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast