1.    #1  
    What a frustrating weekend!

I am an died in the wool Palm devotee.
    (Pocket PC cannot handle my 4500 contacts)
    I have owed a Palm V, Handspring Visor Platinum, Various MMedia Clie, Tungsten E, and now a Zire 72. Definitely the best PDA I have ever owed. (I do not like the slide out on the T3)

I am an IT reseller, consultant, support professional to the SME sector in Dublin Ireland. I have always used IR to connect my various Nokia phones to my Palm mainly to collect mail, but I liked the look of the direct dialling and SMS using Bluetooth with the new Zire (and T3). I thought of getting a new Nokia 6230 and seeing as I was due a phone upgrade with Vodafone IE, I decided to get one. To my dismay I then found out that Nokia have changed the Bluetooth driver as from the 6310i and now it does not support direct dialling and SMS collection!!!
    How frustrating! I do a check on the web and clearly I am not the only one to have had these problems.

OK, perhaps that Treo600 will do all in one. Bought one yesterday, and guess what, it does not! Why cant I see my contacts sorted the way I like, as on all my other varied Palm devices., by Company and name? The Treo does not so you a contacts icon on the home screen, it can only be access from the phone menu, and then only by name, not company. Also in Ireland, the SMS with Vodafone does not work!!!! aargh!!

Can anyone provide any help on the TREO Contacts display issue??
    I've owned Palms since 1996. I got the Treo 270 (before the 600) and had the same issue. I have 4800 records in my database that i've collected since 1990 and i was p*ssed when they pulled sort by Company feature.

Now, my research has determined that, actually, each reseller 'licenses' the palm software and alters it to fit their needs. So it was Handspring that pulled out the Company sort feature. (Now that Palm has absorbed them, i'm not sure what or why things haven't gone back to the good ol' days.)

But i have hundreds of addresses that i may have put in the contacts first name, and now when i search for the company, it doesn't come up since i threw in the contacts name. Really a drag.

People have suggested using 3rd party apps for address books like agendus.

Good luck,
    stevo
    I agree the lack of company column sucks...what 3rd party app or shareware is available??
    Have a look at Agendus, from Iambic, it should do what you need.

Mike
    KeyContacts also let's you sort by company name.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Beyond Contacts also allows for the sort by company you are seeking. It also synchs with Outlook if you happen to keep your contacts in that program.
    Check out Arrow Launcher - Has a great way of showing companies, plus the easiest access.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/home
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboystamullen
    What a frustrating weekend!

I am an died in the wool Palm devotee.
    (Pocket PC cannot handle my 4500 contacts)
    I have owed a Palm V, Handspring Visor Platinum, Various MMedia Clie, Tungsten E, and now a Zire 72. Definitely the best PDA I have ever owed. (I do not like the slide out on the T3)

I am an IT reseller, consultant, support professional to the SME sector in Dublin Ireland. I have always used IR to connect my various Nokia phones to my Palm mainly to collect mail, but I liked the look of the direct dialling and SMS using Bluetooth with the new Zire (and T3). I thought of getting a new Nokia 6230 and seeing as I was due a phone upgrade with Vodafone IE, I decided to get one. To my dismay I then found out that Nokia have changed the Bluetooth driver as from the 6310i and now it does not support direct dialling and SMS collection!!!
    How frustrating! I do a check on the web and clearly I am not the only one to have had these problems.

OK, perhaps that Treo600 will do all in one. Bought one yesterday, and guess what, it does not! Why cant I see my contacts sorted the way I like, as on all my other varied Palm devices., by Company and name? The Treo does not so you a contacts icon on the home screen, it can only be access from the phone menu, and then only by name, not company. Also in Ireland, the SMS with Vodafone does not work!!!! aargh!!

Can anyone provide any help on the TREO Contacts display issue??

That pretty much suck I agree. The reason is that Handspring originally used DateBk 3 as the template for the calendar app instead of DateBk5 as found in other devices. Thus the company search feature is missing. Hopefully PalmOne will finally correct this feature in the Ace...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hmmm SMS does work in Ireland with Vodaphone.. The setting I got from the SIM (Pay as you go) _didn't_ work though. Now I just need to remember how I did set it up I _think_ the message center number may have been wrong. The way I got it to work was to look at the settings on a friends Nokia that was working.. Once I put in those settings, and updated CarrierProfiles and NetworkProfiles (I think) as I had a phone with settings for US only phone networks

Look here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=53951

Specifically:

"final part of the puzzle solved. my sim card had an incorrect number in for the message center number. the sim card said '+0035387699989'. Looking at what was given for my brother-in-law's sim card, when it was inserted into the treo revealed that it should have been simply '+35387699989'. I'm happily texting away."
    Last edited by jaytee; 08/30/2004 at 07:30 PM.
    Howdy Fatboy,

How's the craic in Stamullen these days?

The Treo Contacts application was adopted verbatim from all of the Handspring products - all Visors have two sort orders First/Last and Last/First. I think Handspring were trying to be differentiated by doing this but it always drove the Corporate folks like yourself batty. I use TakePhone or PhoneMagic to get around the annoyance.

Vodafone IRL is one of the few worldwide GSM operators that is not setup automatically in the Treo. The Treo has an internal DB containing settings for several hundred GSM carriers. The lack of them being built in is no barrier to them being added manually though. The most useful ones are:
    - SMS Center number (+35387699989)
    - SMS Email center number (if any) ?
    - MMS APN details - usually an IP address and a server name.

APN: mms.vodafone.net
    User ID: dublin
    Password: dublin
    WAP Gateway IP: 10.24.59.200
    MMS Server URL: www.vodafone.ie/mms

- GPRS APN details:
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    User ID: dublin or vodafone
    Password: dublin or vodafone

Another useful thing to know is the SMTP server for Vodafone ? anyone