Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No I'm not crazy. Here's what I mean:

1. Big, hi-res screen.
    2. Bluetooth stereo headset for calls and music.
    3. A remote dialpad/thumbboard that can be attached to the phone for convenience.

With this, I'd wear the headset most of my day, use the remote to make phonecalls, and keep big phone in my pocket/backpack most of the time for phone calls. When I need to do other things, I have the big screen.

Best of both worlds.

Can somebody make this reality???
    Quote Originally Posted by continuum
    No I'm not crazy. Here's what I mean:

1. Big, hi-res screen.
    2. Bluetooth stereo headset for calls and music.
    3. A remote dialpad/thumbboard that can be attached to the phone for convenience.

With this, I'd wear the headset most of my day, use the remote to make phonecalls, and keep big phone in my pocket/backpack most of the time for phone calls. When I need to do other things, I have the big screen.

Best of both worlds.

Can somebody make this reality???
    I can, also for sale...

oceanfront property here...

http://arkansas.com/

3.    #3  
    The thing that kills me is all the technology are here. Why do people keep trying to solve the logic impossibility of a big screen and small size (until the laser-iris-scan projection goggle becomes mainstream, that is)?

Maybe it's time for me to get a job in PalmOne...
    it's not the size that matters...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    it's not the size that matters...
    It's how you work the d-pad
    My brother-in-law has a Hitachi G1000. The thing is HUGE! However, it has a thumb-board, and a really beautiful screen. If you can stomach Windows, maybe it is right for you....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    You want a bigger phone? You should start a club...oh wait...you would only have one member! At least you would save a lot on catering group functions!
    Get a h6315. It seems like exactly what you want...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    use the remote to make phonecalls
    Right on! That's a very cool idea.

You would basically have a fairly large device (compared to the Treo 600) that includes a screen, storage space and wireless gear (Bluetooth, cellular, WI-FI, whatever) and you would generally never take it out of your pocket -- all the peripherals would interact with it wirelessly.

For use as a phone, you'd have a small wireless headset that you could pull out of your pocket. For data entry you could have a wireless keyboard. You could even have a separate wirless numeric keypad for just making calls. Or perhaps a small wristwatch-style display for incoming calls and SMS display. Maybe the watch thinger could act as a push-to-talk interfact, like the **** Tracy two-way wrist radio.

By leaving the main device in your pocket, you could have a multitude of different devices to interact with it. As well, the main device could be more powerful.

What if even the screen was wireless? Complete and total modularity.

Batteries, I suppose, continue to be the biggest engineering problem. Wireless security, as well. ...Hm.
    well, I would at least like the physically larger screen. I really like how the daxian has a slide to hide thumbboard to allow for this.

But we'll see how things pan out.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Right on! That's a very cool idea.

You would basically have a fairly large device (compared to the Treo 600) that includes a screen, storage space and wireless gear (Bluetooth, cellular, WI-FI, whatever) and you would generally never take it out of your pocket -- all the peripherals would interact with it wirelessly.
    Glad to see we're on a resonant frequency here.

How about a stereo headset with a boom that flips down to take a call, and fold back over the ear to end the call and go back to music?

Such a simple idea. Yet no one has done it.

The ultimate solution for display is laser iris scan, which is rapidly evolving. In ten years you'll see streets full of people wearing those goggles.

Battery, yes, will continue to be a major engineering obstacle for decades to come.
    so uhm. . . a laptop?
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Glad to see we're on a resonant frequency here.

How about a stereo headset with a boom that flips down to take a call, and fold back over the ear to end the call and go back to music?
    Strangely enough, I'm not big on headsets. Your idea about a retracting/folding boom makes sense, though. I'm sure there is a lot of room for variety in headsets. That idea you had about a wireless keypad for dialing -- I'd take that and make it a handset as well. I guess this sounds sort of weird to most people, but it would be like having a very small cellphone that uses a kind of wireless base station, which would stay pocketed. You'd only pull out the main device when you wanted to do computer-like things, such as using the Internet, reading or writing email, looking up contacts or appointments, whatever.

Having the physical phone and the keyboard connect to the main device wirelessly means the user could choose whether or not they want bring those peripheral devices along, which would be cool. Stylus freaks could ditch the keyboard, headset dudes could hang whatever they wanted on their ears, novelists could get a full sized keyboard, SMS enthusiasts could get a tiny little thumb board, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    so uhm. . . a laptop?
    That's not as much of a joke as you probably intended it to be -- imagine taking a very small laptop (one that you could carry around in your purse, for instance), adding a cellular wireless card with unlimited data, setting up a voice-over-IP phone account and then using a wireless headset. You'd have your full power laptop and your cellular phone service all in one go. Would you take the laptop out of your purse and hold it up to your head when you are talking to someone on the phone? No, you just use the wireless headset. But when you wanted to write something, check your email or look at a website, you'd have a comfortably large screen at your disposal with which to do those things. That's sort of getting at the idea here.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    imagine taking a very small laptop (one that you could carry around in your purse, for instance), adding a cellular wireless card with unlimited data, setting up a voice-over-IP phone account and then using a wireless headset. You'd have your full power laptop and your cellular phone service all in one go.
    that's the idea -- ditch laptops. I've had laptops since 97 and hated every minute of it. It's not big enough for desktop-like viewing/typing, yet not mobile enough to put in your pocket.

Whenever they say some laptop weighs only 6/5/4 lbs, it always cracks me up. By the time you added the extra battery, charger, cord, mouse, carrying bag, it's at least 9 lbs.

And you can't make a lousy phone call with all that junk.

Now, if you have a pocketable data/voice multimedia communication/entertainment center that you can make phone calls with while pocketed, that's what I call the ultimate de-wired, converged mobile professional geek lifestyle.

For this, I could happily live with a VGA screen.
    Last edited by continuum; 08/30/2004 at 05:11 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Sorry folks but snerdy seems the only one who gets it. I know there're tons of big-a*s pocket PCs and PDAPhones out there. They all SUCK, even without bringing up the Windoze issue.

The key is the remote dialpad/thumbboard + wireless headset. This way, you can keep the console pocketed for most of phone calls, instead of looking weird with that big slap of plastic on your ear.

Or, if you don't like headsets, you could have a superslim "phone module", which is nothing but a mic+speaker+dialpad+BT+battery. It just talks to the pocketed console. All the hardware/software for making the call are in the console.

And, besides reasonable screen, it can have meaningful battery life. Isn't it ridiculous that you have to charge the darn thing every other day or even every day?

And everything can be charged with one charger. That's actually VERY important. Have you gone on a trip with your digital camera, digital camcorder, laptop, PDA, cellphone, and BT headset? Yes they're all nano-sized but just collect all the stupid chargers, power cords, and data cables together. Then you'd go "nano-size my a*s"

This console would replace your laptop, PDA, cellphone, and BT headset. Maybe even your digital camera, perhaps even your digital camcorder -- if you don't have to have the high quality of dedicated device.

The console can weight 1 lb, maybe even 2 lbs, for all I care.

This, folks, would be a big leap in wireless convergence.

Would it be a good life or what?
    Last edited by continuum; 08/30/2004 at 05:06 AM.
    Time for a n00b to say somthing, hehe..

If you wanted to go totally modular, you could have a central unit which doesnt have anything on it at all. Just a battery and a crapload of networking gear (bluetooth, WiFi, probably)...You could have a pocket specially sewn for this in your clothes, so anything you wear theres a pocket for this device. Doesn't need to be big... and it shouldn't be heavy!

You then have a Screen module (which could be a touchscreen, or a pair of glasses... or a watch-type device...
    Then you could have some sort of an input module like a thumb-board or a keyboard of some sort... heck in the future you might not even need that, just use an implant to input data directly from your nerve endings!
    Then you have some sort of a audio device... could be a headset, a telephone reciver type device, even a lapel mic and an in ear earphone... bluetooth'd to it.

As for batteries! I don't know whether any of you guys read the NewScientist (or Technology news, for that matter!) , but recently some smartie Japaneese scientists have developed fuel cell that works on butane.
    Futher matured, it could power an entire laptop for 24 hours at a time... Imagine what the battery life of somthing like a headset would be, that uses VERY little electricity. You wouldnt need to re-fuel for weeks, even MONTHS!

The XDA IV with VGA screen and WiFi/BT is rumored to come out first half of next year.
    All the hardware/software for making the call are in the console.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by goldfish
    you could have a central unit which doesnt have anything on it at all. Just a battery and a crapload of networking gear (bluetooth, WiFi, probably)...
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    The XDA IV with VGA screen and WiFi/BT is rumored to come out first half of next year.
    Yeah.

It really does seem like there are devices that could sort of do what continuum and goldfish are describing, but it would probably take a system that is dedicated to this "wireless modular" idea to pull it off meaningfully. I mean, to be honest, while it sounds like a cool idea (to me, anyway), it would probably take a heck of a lot more R&D to pull off than any organization is going to be willing to throw at the problem.

How many different small format computer projects are there, really? Palm OS; Pocket PC; Symbian (how many systems fall under this label?); Newton is still kicking, I guess; there are Linux adaptations for handhelds (like whatever is powering the Zarus stuff); and then you've got projects trying to pack full blown desktop OSes into pocket sized packages (like the always-around-the-corner OQO). Every one of those projects has been running for at least a few years and look how quickly (slow) they progress.

The suggestion of simply getting a good-sized handheld computer and using a wireless telephone interface is probably a good idea. I suppose a project to make close-range wireless handsets for devices like the PocketLoox 720 could be practical.

Something else I was thinking about -- continuum's idea that it's very important to make the wireless peripherals work off the same charger as the main device. Definitely a good idea. I was thinking that all of the wired peripherals would do well to have auxillary wired connections as backup incase the peripheral runs out of power or if the whole system is running low. I mean, it would suck more to have your cool modular wireless communications thinger be useless because the wireless headset/handset dealie is out of power than it would be to have a cord running into your pocket. ...Okay, maybe that would be more embarassing. Anyway, redundancy would probably be a good idea.
    so wouldn't something like this: http://www.xybernaut.com/Solutions/p...av_product.htm

fit the bill? i believe they even have a wrist-wearable 3x5" monitor (and a keyboard) instead of the goggle setup...

Rap
  20.    #20  
    Damn, raprider, it is one cool gadget!

Too bad they're not even trying to target the mainstream. For the mainstream market, it doesn't need to be all wearable and rugged. It must be COOL.

Also, add telephony and strip out the Windoze fat (along with unnecessary peripheral cards and ports). Who needs the headache with Windoze for such a mobile unit? Answering the "Submit error report" popup window when the phone app gets an unexpected error? Patching/updating the damn thing every week? Why should the mobile user ever need to know about the difference between RAM and HD?

If they can do it in 1 lb, then the lean comm console can certainly be done in 8oz. BTW, the Treo600 GSM is 5.9oz -- just add a bigger screen, battery, and BT, and lose the thumbboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast