View Poll Results: how much have you spent on additional apps/utilities?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • none

2 2.17%
  • < $20

0 0%
  • < $50

11 11.96%
  • < $100

14 15.22%
  • over $100

65 70.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious

I see all of these new apps being advertized on the TC homepage, and I see people here advocating one utility or another - and they all cost money!

I've decided on the Treo - my Nextel subscription is up in Apr05 so I have time to wait for the ACE (!) - but I'm just wondering how much the typical user spends on additional functionality.
    < $100...so far (had it 2 weeks), next wek I can come back and check > $100 and the week after???????
    well, some people are bare-bones types, others like to tweak to the max!
    I'm a maxtweaker, myself!
    You need a > $1000 option...

Well over $600 in software and $500 in accesories.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    It does depend on what type of user you are and your needs. The first thing I purchased was screen protectors, a 256 mb memory card, charging cradle and car charger, then a couple sets of head phones and a couple of carrying cases.

Also purchased Dictionary (BDicty), Backupman and Kinoma Producer as well as donating towards some great apps like Movie Rec. SoundRec., TreoSelect, etc. I probably spend a little over $200 total.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Well over $100.00 for me.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  7.    #7  
    Wow

*Very* enlightening!
    Interesting - the polls are no longer anonymous.
    just found that out to
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    It is also well over $100 for me and as one mentioned above, review the products in detail before purchasing. I do not use a screen protector - it is kept in a clip case (the one sold by Palm). I use a 512mb memory card, on charging cradle, but I do have and make heavy use of the car charger. I also have the USB charger. I have two Pocket Lingo dictionaries - I purchased the office first and gosh, found the college version to be much better and I am satisfied with their thesaurus. I have both Backup Buddy and BackupMan - would buy both. BackupBuddy is used primarily for desktop backing up and BackupMan to the card every night for those OH GOSH restores.

I have both VeriChat and Chatter - use only Chatter and in fact did not renew the yearly subscription. Have both Call Filter and Call Shield Pro and now use Call Filter - also better support and will probably take Call Shield Pro off the device. I definitely love Datebook 5. I use Treo Helper for its SMS capabilities and on/off support, though I have another free one just sitting there. Love Bob's Alarm and purchased another one first. Bought two security programs and use only Teal Lock.

All of the programs I have meet my basic needs. Along comes one that does it better and I purchase it (Call Filter a few days ago). If something better than it comes along...

OnlyMe has a screen activation problem on my Treo 600 - Teal Lock does not.

The list continues. There is only one purchase I have made that I am not happy with and that is the Visitor Compass and Locator by Silicon Delta - no support whatsoever - great program on the Treo 300 and not os on the 600.
    Just spent another $15- today. I think that the value is cumulative. The more appls I have, the more valuable the Treo. Many of these programs I have paid for several times because they are device or PalmOS specific. Two applications died when I did the firmware update. One, the Concourse Metro North train schedule, is no longer available. Klondike also died but I had not paid for it in the first place so I guess it is only fair that I have to pay now.
    I voted $0, as I haven't bought any extra apps and utilities. Of the demos I tried, I really didn't like any enough to bother with them (Lightwav, callfilter, snapper, webviewer, xiino, etc) and the free ones suit me just fine (eudora, blazer, profeo, etc). If I can ever master avi encoding, I'll spring for mmplayer, though.

I also paid $40 for a Bellagio flip case, a $15 pack of screen protectors and $37 for a 256mb SD card. So, about $100 in accessories overall, but none on software.
    which treo?

most of the apps i have were purchased for the 270. I think I upgraded Agendus while i have the 600. I bought a brando. i have bought a charger and a laptop charger. I also got a stylus, that i no longer use.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    My suggestion: You can easily spend lot$ and lot$ of money on your Treo -- and in a hurry So do your homework. Search this site for what people recommend. The Treo comes with its own apps, so you need not spend money right away. Take your time. Search, search, search
    I agree completely. The one purchase I made before I checked it out here at TC is the only one I regret buying (3 in 1 stylus). I don't think I would have ever known how powerful this little device is without reading these boards and trying all (most) the new stuff. Put me in the > $1000 category as well.

fp
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    Yeah, the $100 top end seems a little light. There are great replacements for the base Treo apps (which DO work just fine). I have to say that's where I spent the money on apps.

Zlauncher > Applications
    DateBk5 > Calendar + ToDo
    TakephOne > Dialer
    PsMemo > Memo
    Pocketunes Deluxe > Pocketunes

Also got a SD card, screen protector and Seidio dual headphone/mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmf
    Yeah, the $100 top end seems a little light. There are great replacements for the base Treo apps (which DO work just fine). I have to say that's where I spent the money on apps.

Zlauncher > Applications
    DateBk5 > Calendar + ToDo
    TakephOne > Dialer
    PsMemo > Memo
    Pocketunes Deluxe > Pocketunes

Also got a SD card, screen protector and Seidio dual headphone/mike.
    psmemos free
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Yeah, stand corrected on that......PSMemo is indeed free:

PSMemo
    great app any one who uses memo has to get this

I'd fall into that over $1,000 category too. Quite easilly actually.

Bewtween two SD cards, at least a dozen cases, headphones, cradle, retractable cable, screen protector, egrips, car charger, travel charger, software etc. I may even be over $2,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I'd fall into that over $1,000 category too. Quite easilly actually.

Bewtween two SD cards, at least a dozen cases, headphones, cradle, retractable cable, screen protector, egrips, car charger, travel charger, software etc. I may even be over $2,000.
    And we have to listen to all the whining from those who complain of having to spend $600 for a 600. Give me a break!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast