Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Ok, I just have to ask: you're a patriotic consumer of American products but you go by the handle "Eurokitty"? Help me out with that one.

P.S. From Seattle originally myself. Go Huskies!
    The name relates to the amount of euro travel I do for work.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Anyway, do like I do. Whenever they call you, put them on hold or hang up and claim you have phone problems.;
    I guess they return the favor when you call for support!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I am probably one of the few...but I put in a call and ended up in the Phillipines and I have to say...the english was quite good (almost no accent) and they solved my problem quite quickly. I am sure I am not the norm though. But there are SOME good phone reps there.

I find it funny that people complain they are taking jobs away from the USA. Answer this question...Would you have paid another $100 for your Treo when you bought it if you knew the support would come from the USA? For most people, I highly doubt it. That is the question you need to ask yourself...because it comes down to cost and competitiveness.

PS: I do agree Palm is resonsible for a BASIC level of support which includes clear and understandable English.
    It would be nice if support came from the USA, but the real issue here is that a) you cannot understand what they are saying and b) they couldn't care less about your problem. They're half-a-world away and only know how to (barely) read a script. I think if you buy a company's flagship product, you should be entitled to better support. Ever talked to Apple support? Not only do they speak English natively but much of the time they actually *care* about your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    I don't think that any of the calls are in India. I do believe that Phillipines is where the calls go. God bless America!

I doubt their name was Bob. Seems 1) pretty cheesy to have support in the Phillipines and 2) to have them change their names to American names.

I have called support several times and depending on the time of day you either get the Phillipines OR India...and yes they all give fake American names...and yes the support does suck...I had to 3 times before I figured out using the escalation number in the states.
    KeNNethX - The gUy iS oUt tHeRe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    The name relates to the amount of euro travel I do for work.
    Talk about hypocricy!
    I guess if it were left to the reasoning of a few people here, then export/import ought to be banned. After all each item you import, is one less made in your country and therefore it ultimately leads to jobs lost.
    Why are products any different than services. If for better economic/business reasons products can be imported/outsourced, then why not services? The effect on local jobs is the same in both cases, atleast as per the simplistic economic model followed by quite a few here.
    The fact is that outsourcing products/services makes companies competitive and therefore profitable and can offer jobs. In the absence of importing/outsourcing some companies would actually be out of business. Have you stopped to think what happens to the jobs that would be lost in such a case?
    sanjay: people aren't complaining about exporting services. the original posting was a rant against not understanding what the CS dude in India was trying to say and/or poor customer service. personally, i haven't experienced it myself but I would prefer that the person I am calling for support is in at least the same continent!
    Personally I have an issue with call centers if and when calling them means no customer service but rather just lip service. What I mean by that is that in most such cases the call center people have only scripted answers and generally have no authority to make decisions. I hate it when I'm given scripted answers to questions when the answers don't even fit the question. You cannot even get to speak to a manager who could make decisions, instead you are told that someone will get back to you. Personally I'd love for it to go back to the old ways when one could actually get issues resolved in a single call. Not so any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    sanjay: people aren't complaining about exporting services. the original posting was a rant against not understanding what the CS dude in India was trying to say and/or poor customer service. personally, i haven't experienced it myself but I would prefer that the person I am calling for support is in at least the same continent!
    I understand the original posters intent, but several other people have brought up the issue of outsourcing and it's effect on jobs. My response was directed at them.
    Palm One escalation number service blows just as bad!

Reminds me of the commercial with the guy that just says "NO"!
    It's always interesting to hear people talking about foreigners "taking" jobs from Americans. It's much more accurate to say that fellow Americans are giving people's jobs away to foreigners.
    People are people. What is USA/Canada (including the native americans) but a group of people from other countries? Let's ease up on the xenophobia and focus on palmOne service quality. To do otherwise is to head down a dangerous fear/hate-driven rathole that harms us all.
    (My righteous thought for the day :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    No worries!
    I called PalmOne today to initiate warranty-covered repair. The call was professionally handled, albeit not by anyone with an Indian accent.

I suspect it was Phillipines.

Eurokitty - is your problem with the service, the accent or the jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    In my mind it doesn't matter what other country they were, they weren't very good, he couldn't understand them and it took jobs away from the USA.
    On the flip side of the coin though by doing this the American Companies are giving India a middle class. Before all this out sourcing started there was upper class, v small middle class, and the lower class. Now they are giving the ppl of India a real class system. But it does suck that we are losing jobs here by doing this...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    November issue of the Communications of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) has an article on page 27 on the "Globalization and the American IT Worker" wherein the cost-effectiveness of off-shoring is compared to simply using H-1-visa workers ON-shore.

Turns out that the overhead costs and loss of productivity of off-shoring is not cost-effective compared to bringing the workers here.

Interesting...

(bring'em here, get them used to the States, make'em Permanent Residents, make'em Citizens, improve the States! Nothing like taking the creme-de-la-creme of the World's countries' high-tech workers!)
    Quote Originally Posted by zackz
    The Treo is made in Mexico and the power adapter in China so we are now going to hate the Mexicans and the chinese too?
    Yes and yes, but for reasons totally unrelated to the Treo & power adapter. But now I finally understand the manufacturing quality problems that people have been discussing re: Treo.
    YEA Outsourcing! Free markets! With any luck, all this outsourcing will force competition in the states and break up a few unions.
    Man, I called to replace my Treo 600 lately under warranty and I had great phone service!! In the past, I've called other service numbers and I think the filipino accent was much more easy to understand than an Indian accent. Anyhow, they were pretty nice and took care of everything easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    PS: I do agree Palm is resonsible for a BASIC level of support which includes clear and understandable English.
    ITA that companies must provide support that is clearly understood by the consumer in the language supported by the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Worst of all, it's a job given overseas instead of to me.
    I can understand you being sensitive to this if you are out of a job. Would you be willling to take a Customer Service Rep job at $20K/year? That is about the amount being paid to the guy in India.

This is the option which should be offered to my fellow Americans who are out of work and don't want a job to leave the US.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123