Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Escalate to a supervisor. Chances are in foreign call centers they'll be (somewhat)
    better educated and will be able to communicate with you.

Lousy situation -- CEO's are a bunch of pathetic money-grubbers in my book.
    They have little ethical or moral or social balance in their souls and they
    report only as Dr. Faustus did to their own Devil, the board of directors and
    the stockholders, a sorry quagmire indeed.

Stuart Cracraft
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I am probably one of the few...but I put in a call and ended up in the Phillipines and I have to say...the english was quite good (almost no accent) and they solved my problem quite quickly. I am sure I am not the norm though. But there are SOME good phone reps there.

I find it funny that people complain they are taking jobs away from the USA. Answer this question...Would you have paid another $100 for your Treo when you bought it if you knew the support would come from the USA? For most people, I highly doubt it. That is the question you need to ask yourself...because it comes down to cost and competitiveness.

PS: I do agree Palm is resonsible for a BASIC level of support which includes clear and understandable English.
    I have no problem paying more money to insure that Americans keep their jobs. Unfortunately companies that outsource cannot be trusted to do that. Knowing most of them, they'd charge more and then still outsource the jobs.
    It's a nice sentiment. But I have to doubt it. For many years now consumers have chosen price over service. Look at the growth of the big box stores that have fewer, less knowledgable people all focused on volume sales at discount prices. We, the consuming public, have demanded the service level that we get these days. Look at the majority of products that now come from China...and how we, the consuming public, are snatching them up...because the price is so much better.

As for corporations making money...well isn't that what they are supposed to do? It's not that simple an argument. Companies outsource to stay competitive and grow profits. Guess who those profits go to and who demands them?

Shareholders.

Guess who the majority of Palm Shareholders are?

Americans. (Ok I have no evidence of this but I am willing to bet it's the case).

So it's a bit of a vicous circle and far more complicated than simply giving jobs to Americans or people overseas.

For the record...I am a Canadian!
  4.    #24  
    It's a nice sentiment. But I have to doubt it.
    Shareholders.
    I am of the belief that you get what you pay for. I make a concerted effort to buy American made products. I often have to save longer for them and I have less "stuff" in general, but the things I do acquire are good quality. I also refuse to shop at Wal-Mart and try whenever possible to patronize the Mom and Pop businesses in my community.
    I don't like seeing Americans lose their jobs, but I wouldn't generalize about the skills of Indian workers either. Having been through four "advanced exchanges" of my T600, I've had an equal number of conversations with palmone support people. Three were obviously Indian, but we had no trouble understanding each other, and the entire experience was as pleasant as it could be, given that my expensive phone was broken. As it happens, the only time that support actually caused a problem, it was an American midwesterner who accidentally ordered me a SIM-locked phone. Ironically, that was probably a cultural misunderstanding, given the relative lack of familiarity with GSM in this country.
    Although a small point, make sure not to confuse outsourcing jobs with moving jobs offshore as these two terms are commonly misused..in most cases, companies like Palm have set up operations in other countries like India and the Philipines where these Call Center Reps (or other positions) are Palm employees, in which case, the jobs have been moved offshore. "Outsourcing" is when another company/operation is managing the people manning the phones in this case irrespective of their location.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Although a small point, make sure not to confuse outsourcing jobs with moving jobs offshore as these two terms are commonly misused..in most cases, companies like Palm have set up operations in other countries like India and the Philipines where these Call Center Reps (or other positions) are Palm employees, in which case, the jobs have been moved offshore. "Outsourcing" is when another company/operation is managing the people manning the phones in this case irrespective of their location.
    When I spoke to the fellow at Palm's corporate office, he told me the call center is outsourced through a company called West Interactive.
    okeydoke, I stand corrected re: Palm
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    okeydoke, I stand corrected re: Palm
    No worries!

I find it funny that people complain they are taking jobs away from the USA. Answer this question...Would you have paid another $100 for your Treo when you bought it if you knew the support would come from the USA? For most people, I highly doubt it. That is the question you need to ask yourself...because it comes down to cost and competitiveness.

PS: I do agree Palm is resonsible for a BASIC level of support which includes clear and understandable English.
    Show me the data that shows it would cost another $100 per phone to keep the support in the USA.
    Companies keep justifying moving things overseas as a cost reduction maneuver but I rarely ever see the actual reduction in the cost of the product or service.

Worst of all, it's a job given overseas instead of to me.
    Look at the labor rates overseas vs. the US. Do the math.

My company manufacturers products. For us to create a metal casting in the US and have it produced there, the tooling would cost about $35,000 and then the per unit price would be around $3. We do it in China and guess what? They waive the tooling cost (or just charge around $3,000 if it's lower volume), and we get them for around $1 each. If we didn't do it in China, our customers would not even buy our products because they would be way more than our competition.
    it's the shareholders, silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Show me the data that shows it would cost another $100 per phone to keep the support in the USA.
    Companies keep justifying moving things overseas as a cost reduction maneuver but I rarely ever see the actual reduction in the cost of the product or service.

Worst of all, it's a job given overseas instead of to me.
    If it isn't cost reduction, what else could it be?
    At my job, we have outsourced all kind of things to Mumbai, India(they don't call it Bombay anymore because everyone knew that it was a festering sewer). Can't blame the starving for taking the jobs, must blame those here making the decision. Anyway, do like I do. Whenever they call you, put them on hold or hang up and claim you have phone problems.;
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    At my job, we have outsourced all kind of things to Mumbai, India(they don't call it Bombay anymore because everyone knew that it was a festering sewer). Can't blame the starving for taking the jobs, must blame those here making the decision. Anyway, do like I do. Whenever they call you, put them on hold or hang up and claim you have phone problems.;
    I've visited many foreign countries and I'm no longer suprised at what people say (I realize that you may be unhappy because of the job losses at your company). When I am abroad, I am usually used to strange comments about the US, and now that I'm here, I'm privy to bitter comments about a country that I just visited. It's actually ironic because the name change from Bombay to Mumbai occured because of some nativist sentiment within the populace (something you may be familiar with). Anyway, I guess at the end of the day, this is just a matter of opinion. I mean, if you've visited Bombay (Ranked among the world's 15 most expensive cities in terms of real estate costs) and thought it was a "festering sewer" (you have actually visited, right?) then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    I make a concerted effort to buy American made products.
    Ok, I just have to ask: you're a patriotic consumer of American products but you go by the handle "Eurokitty"? Help me out with that one.

P.S. From Seattle originally myself. Go Huskies!
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Ok, I just have to ask: you're a patriotic consumer of American products but you go by the handle "Eurokitty"? Help me out with that one.

P.S. From Seattle originally myself. Go Huskies!
    Hahaha! Good one Ghileman!
    The Treo is made in Mexico and the power adapter in China so we are now going to hate the Mexicans and the chinese too?
    Hmmm...even Toyota is a Japanese company but a good percentage of them are made here in America by Americans. Not everything is black and white in terms of economics. Not everything made in America is great and not everything "foreign" is cheap. If we were always proactive in our buying decisions, we would not buy anything because nothing is every made in America anymore, not even our jobs.
    India's third largest call center firm Daksh, is actually owned by ...er IBM! Should I boycott IBM?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast