1.    #1  
    Hey everyone.

I'm not sure if anyone here is aware of this but did you know you can charge and sync your Treo600 with the original (included in the box) cables?
    You can actually combine the two...well I don't know about you guys but I had no idea.
    I even took insults (jokingly) from my boyfriend who kept saying "your phone can't even charge while it syncs!"

Well while upgrading my firmware I bumpped into it at PalmOne's support page.

Here's what you have to do:

Plugging in both cords at once

-Plug the AC charger into a wall outlet.

-Connect the charger to the short end of the HotSync cable. Be sure to match the sides of the connectors labeled UP.

-Plug the USB HotSync cable into an available USB port on your computer.

-Connect the long end of the HotSync cable to the bottom of your smartphone, with the button facing up.

And voila! Your phone can now charge while connected to the sync cable.
    Now, once again for you who already knew this info (I don't expect you to have reach this far reading this anyways but...) disregard it.
    But I'm sure there are many Treo600 users who didn't know this

I've included an illustration of the above directions.
    Hope it's of some help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's surprising that this is not common knowledge but it does indicate that the documentation could have been better to make this obvious. Color coded dots might help - a bit like the way Dell computers color code their ports and plugs so you cannot get it wrong.
  3.    #3  
    I agree..I am certain that alot of people don't know this info or else there would be no reasons for people to buy generic sync & charge cable that screw up their phone (b/c most of them do screw up the phone). Just check the amount of thread posted here of people trying to get a sync & charge cable.

Were you aware of the info I posted above?
    I think people buy third party sync/charge cables because they draw power from the usb port, rather than requiring an extra wall jack and a huge tangle of cables. That is why I bought mine (that, and the fact that it was about $4 in a closeout bin).
    ok I have to bite and fine if you need to flame me for it.

I have a Sprint phone and on page 20 of the manual it has a detailed diagram of the sync/charge cable and how to hook it up to a usb port and a wall outlet. It even says "Be sure to match the sides of the connectors labeled UP".

Now the fact that you didnt know this until just now and it looks like youve had your treo for few months now really makes me wonder. I mean no disrepect JoJo but what the hell did you think that part of the cable was for? Did it never dawn on you to look in the manual to see if there was info about that part of the cable? I am amazed that you were able to get the thing to make calls.

Maybe I am in the minority here but I am beginning to think that many of the problems people are having with this device are self-inflicted. It is a complex device and if you are unable to even master the sync/charge cable how can you expect to get the phone to respond.

I know I know call me a jerk for posting this but come on people this is the easy stuff. If people arent capable of handling the cables what do they expect to get out of the phone? I mean whats gonna be next?

"Hey all did you know that if you move that thing next to the keyboard on your computer, yunno the one with the ball (or red light), the little arrow on the screen moves too.!! Is that cool or what?"
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I know I know call me a jerk for posting this but come on people this is the easy stuff. If people arent capable of handling the cables what do they expect to get out of the phone? I mean whats gonna be next?
    I know I'll be put in the "jerk" column with woof for this but I have one thing to say... DUH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    "Hey all did you know that if you move that thing next to the keyboard on your computer, yunno the one with the ball (or red light), the little arrow on the screen moves too.!! Is that cool or what?"

OMG, THANK YOU!!!!! I've been wondering about that for years!

Thanks for laughs woof...seriously, how could one miss that extra part of the cable???? Seemed pretty obvious to me, guess I fall into the jerk column.

-Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    It's surprising that this is not common knowledge but it does indicate that the documentation could have been better to make this obvious. Color coded dots might help - a bit like the way Dell computers color code their ports and plugs so you cannot get it wrong.
    Pory, her attachment is from the documentation. If that isnt clear to the person viewing it they need to put their treo back in the box and return it immediately.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I thought the post was a joke! I'm sorry but that is just so unbelievable!
    Last edited by jlczl; 07/26/2004 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    I agree..I am certain that alot of people don't know this info or else there would be no reasons for people to buy generic sync & charge cable that screw up their phone (b/c most of them do screw up the phone). Just check the amount of thread posted here of people trying to get a sync & charge cable.

Were you aware of the info I posted above?

Actually JoJo the reason we all want an aftermarket sync/charge cable is so that we only have to carry one thing when we go on the road. It takes up less space than the cable and wall cord.

Jlczl, welcome to the jerk area.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    word woof... the retactable sync and charge cable is what makes PDANet and CardExport2 soo useful. I cannot imagine carrying around the two huge wires around...
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    it's a joke, right? right?
    It's easy to make the assumption that usability issues like this are the result of someone lacking tech savvy. Try watching someone surf a website that you are familiar with or use a piece of equipment you already know. You will be itching to get them to click thru in the way that you do and may be amazed at how differently they interact with the technology. I think JoJos post while surprising to some is very useful to those who think a little differently about gadgets and technology. Something was missed in the usability testing which did not make the charge and synch option clear enough to all ways of thinking so that everyone got it.

Who dares to say that they have no deficits in any area of expertise for living? And who dares to openly admit that they did not know something and then generously share that knowledge. This is a crusade :-)
    I understand what you're saying. Deficiencies are one thing, but tech savvy or not, the extra "Y" portion of the cable should have made one at least a little curious. I mean, what else could it possibly be for? A cable with a tail??? And it WAS in the manual, so it's not exactly a revelation that needs to be shared.

I mean no offense to anyone personally, and openly admit to having missed the obvious on more than one occasion, like pulling a door that clearly says push. This one just seems silly, and I felt a little light-hearted humor is certainly warranted.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    My initial reaction was a liitle strong so I've edited it.
    it's a joke, right? right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    It's easy to make the assumption that usability issues like this are the result of someone lacking tech savvy. Try watching someone surf a website that you are familiar with or use a piece of equipment you already know. You will be itching to get them to click thru in the way that you do and may be amazed at how differently they interact with the technology. I think JoJos post while surprising to some is very useful to those who think a little differently about gadgets and technology. Something was missed in the usability testing which did not make the charge and synch option clear enough to all ways of thinking so that everyone got it.

Who dares to say that they have no deficits in any area of expertise for living? And who dares to openly admit that they did not know something and then generously share that knowledge. This is a crusade :-)

I'll concede that part of your post is correct. Some people arent tech savvy as you put it. But to suggest that the usability testing was flawed because someone couldnt be bothered to read the manual? That is ridiculous. That diagram and the accompanying text is more than clear if someone takes the time to try to understand it. And oddly enough thats what manuals are for. If you arent savvy to the ways of technology, crack open the documentation that comes with it. It wasn't written for fun. There is a point. Not to mention if you LOOK at the cable you can see its meant for something. Where's the best place to find out what? The manual!!!

If someone cant figure out the cables, how long will they own their treo before we get a post saying "guess what!!! you can load software on your treo!!! Cool huh?"

As I have said before and will undoubtedly say again, RTFM!!!!
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I am a new Treo owner but owned a Visor Deluxe and two Prisms before this. I assumed that the sync cable would charge from the USB port and assumed that the pigtail was designed to protect the clip that attaches to the Treo while traveling. It didn't take me too long and i sure didn't read the manual since i'm far to tech savvy for print manuals. (teehee.)

I must say that one reason that i'm on this forum is because my experience on the VisorCentral forums were so positive. There really just were almost no people that were jerks. The forums were friendly, helpful, and understood that some people might not figure out the simplest of things. I hope TreoCentral forums prove to be as welcoming.
  19.    #19  
    Thank you Poryphyron
    Hahahahaha (to some of the posts).

I can give a damn who thinks I'm not tech savvy!
    This is what I missed and so I thought maybe, just maybe someone else missed it too...thus the reason for my posting.
    If you read well...it says some of you already know this info and so it's not for you...when I scan through this forum for info and I already know info-wise what's posted I don't bother read it...so please do the same you Savvy Techs you

Oh wait did I mentioned some of you may already know the info?
    Oh yes I did...

There are many members who come into this forum for help...and guess what...many read the manual and still don't understand what to do. Some members have little issues such as not knowing how to assign a favorite (in the manual) while others have bigger and more complex issues.
    I have help a few in the past and have been helped by many as well...so as stupid as you may think it is...just disregard it if it doesn't pertain to you.

As far as that "piece" of cable...shoot I was so excited when I got my Treo I sticked that sucker into the USB slot so fast I completely forgot that it was there...I just wanted to get my phone reaaadddyyyyy!

And as far as me only knowing to make a call...hahahahaha...perhaps I should use my Treo as a kite

I have no problem with anyone posting their "jerk" comments...everyone's entittled to their own opinion...plus it does nothing to me

I have 86 diff types of software in my T600 and about 20 of them are games...I think I have done fairly good for myself...not to mention that this is my one and only unit...what number are you on?
    Are you sure that it's the device that is messed up?
    Just checking

Maybe I should go back to the hardware section...peeps there are more appreciative
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    I have no problem with anyone posting their "jerk" comments...everyone's entittled to their own opinion...plus it does nothing to me
    Good for you! You go girl!