1.    #1  
    New Treo 600 user using Splash Money to keep track of my banking and such. Besides being password protected, how exposed am I to someone hacking into the device wirelessly. And if exposed can anyone recommend software to protect?
    I do not use Splash Money. I use HanDBase 3x and have it set to encrypt the file. In addition, I use Teal Lock to lock the Treo 600 after a set period of inactivity. In addition, I use Treo Helper and its SMS locking feature to secure the Treo when it receives a specific SMS message.

I also use Invisible to hide specific apps in main memory. It does nothing to secure the SD card.

I also purchased Cradle Robber - when active, it sounds an alarm when the charger is unplugged from the Treo 600 or the SD card removed.

There are numerous threads covering OnlyMe, Teal Lock, PDA Defense and the default locking program. I tried and purchased OnlyMe and tried PDA Defense. Both worked ok for a limited period of time - they both also turned the screen off and on and after giving up, tried Teal Lock and have had NO problems with it.

Is it secure? Yes, as far as it can be secured. Ben
    Well, you're not at risk of anyone Bluesnarfing you, since we don't have Bluetooth
    http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...952393,00.html

In terms of anyone getting at you wirelessly through your wireless provider's IP network... Good question... I haven't heard of that happening at all. Any tech studs know if it's possible for your phone's IP address to be scanned by typically hacker activity, and, if located, what a hacker might be able to do?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I do not use Splash Money. I use HanDBase 3x and have it set to encrypt the file. In addition, I use Teal Lock to lock the Treo 600 after a set period of inactivity. In addition, I use Treo Helper and its SMS locking feature to secure the Treo when it receives a specific SMS message.

I also use Invisible to hide specific apps in main memory. It does nothing to secure the SD card.

I also purchased Cradle Robber - when active, it sounds an alarm when the charger is unplugged from the Treo 600 or the SD card removed.

There are numerous threads covering OnlyMe, Teal Lock, PDA Defense and the default locking program. I tried and purchased OnlyMe and tried PDA Defense. Both worked ok for a limited period of time - they both also turned the screen off and on and after giving up, tried Teal Lock and have had NO problems with it.

Thanks for the input bclinger. Should have prefaced by saying that I'm not a programmer or all that tech savvy from the get-go so I'm not interested in building my own Excel spreadsheet or DB just for a financial tool. In any event, I appreciate the time you took to give me your input. By the way, what kind of bike is that. Beautiful machine.
    I agree on the programming thing. HanDBase (DDH Software) has a library of applets on their site that users can up/download. I have posted a small number of them. If you do decide to take a look at HanDBase, drop me a note and I'll send you the applet I wrote for balancing the checkbook, savings account, wallet, or whatever. As for the machine, it's an '86 Vulcan 500. My lovely wife hates the color scheme. The salt air of Honolulu makes keeping it clean a bit difficult, but it is fun to ride. Last weekend my youngest son and I rode the north shore and had a great time. Much of the highway immediately borders the Pacific Ocean and in some places, a slight wind equates to a lot of overspray. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

thanks for give good information i little know know about programing but i don't have that much knowledge
    Er, do you realize you replied to a thread that's 4 years old?
    Yep and still correct.